• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Guy, Looking For A Repair Shop (Norther NJ/ NY Metro)

BC-NJ

New Member
I have a vintage Kenwood KA-8100 in pristine condition, but in need of repair. The left channel is out, and my crummy attempts haven't gone far. I've decided to hand it off to a pro and do it right. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable shop in Northern NJ or in the NY metro area?

Thanks!

Brian
Oakland, NJ
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a vintage Kenwood KA-8100 in pristine condition, but in need of repair. The left channel is out, and my crummy attempts haven't gone far. I've decided to hand it off to a pro and do it right. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable shop in Northern NJ or in the NY metro area?

Thanks!

Brian
Oakland, NJ

http://www.sgcustomsound.com/

As with any audio repair shop, let them know if you want OEM parts or modernized/upgraded or most economical approach.

je
 
Thanks all for recommending Tim @ Bristol. Good to know I have someone right in my area. I'll be reaching out to him this week.

Regards,

Brian
 
I've had good luck with Bristol Electronics in Hohokus. Tim works from his house (201-447-4299.

I called and spoke with Tim. He's was a pleasure to chat with and seemed more than capable of handling the job. He's a no-frills guy ... said he'll do only what's necessary. If I really want to replace every cap he'll do it, but didn't seem to recommend going overboard. While I want my KA-8100 to be perfect it was refreshing not to be oversold on the repair. Anyhoo, I dropped it off at his shop, chatted some more and was told ~ a two month turnaround. Fine by me. Good to have a local repair guy.

I'm anxious to listen to our old vinyl ... so it's off to hunt for a turntable. My only amp in the house is a Onkyo TX-SV414PRO. I know next to zip about audio but I assume this will be just fine in the interim.
 
H.R. Audio Video in South Hackensack, NJ.

Stereo Surgeons in East Hartford, CT.
 
Last edited:
Just picked up my MR65B from Tim at Bristol Electronics and I could not be happier. Great work, very reasonable prices and 2 month turnaround time. Super honest and a really nice guy!

I offer my unqualified recommendation!
 
Brian - I am glad you brought that question up - I am in your area - and have a intergrated amp that needs some work - good luck finding a turntable - there has been a few TT's floating around on craigslist for Northern NJ lately ... welcome to the board
 
Back
Top Bottom