• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New guy wants speaker advice, I can't wait for vintage to show up at thrifts

Another thread where actual location would be pretty helpful, as someone nearby could have likely candidates or vendor recommendations (other than Best Buy) that could be auditioned in advance.
If I had to guess at location, I would say Hawaii. Which would eliminate all mainland sources due to high return shipping costs if he didn't like them. Whether that is his location, I have no idea.

Chip
 
Hi, you have a nice low wattage receiver with 20 watts per channel. It would seem that your best path would be towards high efficiency speakers. Do you have space for large speakers? Do you have a budget that you need to stay within? Right off the bat, I would be thinking of those Klipsch speakers previously mentioned or Radio Shack Nova 8's, what would you think would work for you best?
 
I purchased on ebay in the past
What happened was, the return policy only
Referred to the item cost, Not the shipping
Which was $ 98.00 (auto part)

This keeps you away from eBay? Kind of like cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't it?

Just think, the KG-4 may no longer be made but the Heresy is and sells for around $2000. Used they regularly show up on eBay for around $400, that's an 80% discount. They do show up on Craigslist too, and thrifts, garage sales etc but you may have to wait a bit, eBay they could already be yours.
 
Be patient. Something might just fall into your lap. 800.00 is a lot of money when you start thinking about vintage speakers. My speakers (see below) only cost 300.00 because I put the word out that I was looking and someone's wife was tired of seeing the Cornwalls on either side of their fireplace. So, just let everyone know your budget, kind of what you are looking for, and also, where you live (general region). The people on AK are very helpful. I found mine through my brother-in-law.
 
Mahi Mahi, please advise us where you live, then we may be better able to help or provide suggestions. There are many AK members all over this world, and probably 60% of them have extra speakers available to test or sell. $800 is plenty of cash to buy some superb speakers. Besides proximity to the walls, are there other house location, size or physical constraints to consider?
 
Impatience will only cause you to spend more money and it will take longer to get it right....cause you will never stop improving the sound.....

Check news papers for estate sales, garage sales even going out of business sales. Do weekly runs of all the thrift stores within a ten mile radius. Craigslist is a good place because people always want to get rid of stuff...
 
This keeps you away from eBay? Kind of like cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't it?

Just think, the KG-4 may no longer be made but the Heresy is and sells for around $2000. Used they regularly show up on eBay for around $400, that's an 80% discount. They do show up on Craigslist too, and thrifts, garage sales etc but you may have to wait a bit, eBay they could already be yours.
I agree. I've had excellent luck with EBay speaker purchases over the past few years (19 speakers in total). Returning an item and paying return shipping is a hassle, but is EBay's policy. The shipping cost on speakers usually isn't $98 unless they're quite big. Some of them even ship for free. My Boston Acoustics VR40s (~55 lbs apiece I think) shipped free. :D There are lots of good options at good prices out there on EBay. Generally unless they are misrepresented in the listing or are damaged during shipping, buying speakers on EBay is one of the safer purchases. Buying components is a much riskier proposition.

I would go with newer speakers personally. The design of new speakers is generally much improved over old ones, resulting in better sound (there are exceptions of course).
 
Last edited:
Crutchfield.com will let you audition for 60days, if I remember correctly. You can return for around $10 per speaker(shipping) It's been awhile but that figure may be a little off, but it's cheap, and gives you plenty of time to audition. I'm sure there are others, out there also.
 
I purchased on ebay in the past
What happened was, the return policy only
Referred to the item cost, Not the shipping
Which was $ 98.00 (auto part)
Ebay return policy is pretty buyer friendly!! Plus, the seller can't charge more then the shipping cost they have listed.
 
Hi, you have a nice low wattage receiver with 20 watts per channel. It would seem that your best path would be towards high efficiency speakers. Do you have space for large speakers? Do you have a budget that you need to stay within? Right off the bat, I would be thinking of those Klipsch speakers previously mentioned or Radio Shack Nova 8's, what would you think would work for you best?
The klispch KG4's that were mentioned haven't been made in years
 
Mahi Mahi, please advise us where you live, then we may be better able to help or provide suggestions. There are many AK members all over this world, and probably 60% of them have extra speakers available to test or sell. $800 is plenty of cash to buy some superb speakers. Besides proximity to the walls, are there other house location, size or physical constraints to consider?
I'm in wedt palm beach Florida
 
How about a pair of, brand new Kef's Q300's for $585 shipped? Or Q100's for $450?
 
Last edited:
If you want something really nice and not made in China, here are some:

Human 81 (gotta go through ebay though). One man business in New England

Magnepan MMG. Made in Minnesota. Direct website sales.

Focal Chorus lineup. Still made in France. Available on Amazon and there are some good prices right now. $375'ish for a pair of 705's in Wenge.
 
Mahi Mahi, welcome to AK. Have you personally auditioned any loud speakers? Members can give you suggestions and they're going to vary widely, but it's hard to determine what you're going to enjoy. Maybe you're a horn guy or a silk dome tweeter guy, only you can make that call. I suggest going to a BB or similar and take a listen. With the Marantz I would keep it 8ohm with 90+ db or higher. Sealed or ported will need to be your call and if ported front or rear depending upon how you plan to stage them. Once you determine the above much better suggestions will come.
 
Mahi Mahi, welcome to AK. Have you personally auditioned any loud speakers? Members can give you suggestions and they're going to vary widely, but it's hard to determine what you're going to enjoy. Maybe you're a horn guy or a silk dome tweeter guy, only you can make that call. I suggest going to a BB or similar and take a listen. With the Marantz I would keep it 8ohm with 90+ db or higher. Sealed or ported will need to be your call and if ported front or rear depending upon how you plan to stage them. Once you determine the above much better suggestions will come.
Horn, silk dome ? I don't know the difference
 
Back
Top Bottom