Prior to owning my Lo6Ms I had a long affair with the Yamaha B-2 and the Kenwood Basic M2 as mid/treble amps and lower mid/ bass amps for my diy activated Altec Valencias. After years of watching I saw a L-1000M for sale. I liked it so much that I bought another one. Now the Valencias had dual Kenwood L amps for the above-mentioned frequency sections. I prefered this to the Yamaha B2/Kenwood M2 combo.
Then I stumbled across the L-06Ms. The only online mention (It wasn't discussion) was in Japanese. I already had a few Japan voltage components and a massive 2Kv step down transformer 240 > 100 volt. So it was no sweat to put them straight into my system. I loved them straight away. So much so, again, that I bought 3 more pairs of L-06Ms. Final tally came to four pairs of L-06Ms. The spare two pairs were to be used in a super horn system Altec based. I bought the Accuphase F-25 crossover and all of the modules and filter sections to make this super L-06Ms/Altec L'Cleach style horn system.
Then along came the KRKs and I put all of that aside. I have never heard anything like them. My next set of speakers will also be active. I like how it gets the best out of the amps and the drivers. It is the ideal way to drive a transducer. Couple it directly to the amp.
Wherever possible if one can strip away some circuitry or stage, excise it from the signal-path, the closer one moves toward an unvarnished unsuspected insight into what the recording can convey.
My system essentially takes the output from either the Moon LP5.3 or from the Strain Gauge gain stage, buffers that and allows attenuation via The Truth and passes the buffered phono signal into the KRKs where the amps hand it straight to the drivers. The end result sounds like the best vinyl replay I've ever heard. Utterly transfixing and really capable of decoding your most promising recordings. You know, the ones you know in your gut are stupendous, but you've never heard any system quite unlock so to speak. This system unlocks them.
It's a good 'un.
Then I stumbled across the L-06Ms. The only online mention (It wasn't discussion) was in Japanese. I already had a few Japan voltage components and a massive 2Kv step down transformer 240 > 100 volt. So it was no sweat to put them straight into my system. I loved them straight away. So much so, again, that I bought 3 more pairs of L-06Ms. Final tally came to four pairs of L-06Ms. The spare two pairs were to be used in a super horn system Altec based. I bought the Accuphase F-25 crossover and all of the modules and filter sections to make this super L-06Ms/Altec L'Cleach style horn system.
Then along came the KRKs and I put all of that aside. I have never heard anything like them. My next set of speakers will also be active. I like how it gets the best out of the amps and the drivers. It is the ideal way to drive a transducer. Couple it directly to the amp.
Wherever possible if one can strip away some circuitry or stage, excise it from the signal-path, the closer one moves toward an unvarnished unsuspected insight into what the recording can convey.
My system essentially takes the output from either the Moon LP5.3 or from the Strain Gauge gain stage, buffers that and allows attenuation via The Truth and passes the buffered phono signal into the KRKs where the amps hand it straight to the drivers. The end result sounds like the best vinyl replay I've ever heard. Utterly transfixing and really capable of decoding your most promising recordings. You know, the ones you know in your gut are stupendous, but you've never heard any system quite unlock so to speak. This system unlocks them.
It's a good 'un.