• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Klipsch owner

fazeka

New Member
Hi all,

New member, first post.

Got a line on a pair Klipsch Forte speaks. 95% mint.

Thought my New Large Advents were nice until I heard these Klipsch...

Although the mids in the NLAs are a tad sweeter, the bass on the Fortes is hard to beat.

I am running the NLAs stacked on the Fortes, running through a Sansui AU-517.

Will post pics soon...

Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe a recap of the crossover will help bring out some more "midrange magic"?

Nice score, and welcome to AK!
 
Nice score on the Fortes! I love mine. Beware of this addiction, though. Before you know it, you'll want K-horns.
 
Curious, what "coast" -sound are Klipsch?

I have a friend that loves his "west coast" JBLs (in fact, he has a line on some L100s he's trying to convince me on getting).

I have never heard JBL "hi-fi" (only guitar and bass speakers like D-130s, etc. in guitar cabs).

I imagine the bass on the Klipsch Forte can't pale when even compared to the "mighty" JBL...

Thoughts?
 
Maybe a recap of the crossover will help bring out some more "midrange magic"?

Nice score, and welcome to AK!

Nice score on the Fortes! I love mine. Beware of this addiction, though. Before you know it, you'll want K-horns.

Curious, what "coast" -sound are Klipsch?

I have a friend that loves his "west coast" JBLs (in fact, he has a line on some L100s he's trying to convince me on getting).

I have never heard JBL "hi-fi" (only guitar and bass speakers like D-130s, etc. in guitar cabs).

I imagine the bass on the Klipsch Forte can't pale when even compared to the "mighty" JBL...

Thoughts?

First off fazeka, Welcome to Audiokarma:thmbsp:

Second, I'm a Forte owner as well and the past owner of many legendary loudspeakers over the last 35yrs and I can tell you the Forte's are capable of far more than most people imagine.

I have never had such fun with these in all my yrs of audio :banana:

You have the capability of getting so much from these that its possible to get to the point of where I am and not even remotely desire any other speaker or other Klipsch models in their stock forms.

Heres some comments from one of my local audio club friends on my Fortes.

"Hi Dan, thanks for having me over (sorry I could not stay longer). I gotta tell you (nothing against Klipsch) - but that is the best I've ever heard any of their models sound. Throw out all that conventional wisdom about horns sounding like horns, etc...blah, blah, blah. !

Although I have not heard your amp mods separate from your speaker mods, it seems to me that the improvements I heard were driven more from the speaker mods (imaging, balance between top, mid and bottom, better integration of the whole sonic image, etc.) But you know best!

Again, I appreciate your hospitality and I always learn something new....I'm going to take some time and investigate some line stage caps for the Cary. Maybe start off with two, and go from there. Investigate some copper and oil. If you have a link, could you send it to get me started?

Have a good week! Jeff"




Here's a picture of the stock crossover network next to my modified outboard networks

sd530025bs6.jpg


You can also check out my thread for some of the upgrades that I did it also has a schematic of the Forte crossover. here

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340

As to the sound being east coast or west coast I would say closer to west cost for the majority of klipschs but some may have a different view! And I believe that was west ported speakers and east sealed or air suspension speakers.

I feel I have the best of both worlds and the fun of 10 high quality Single-Ended-Tube watts.

See you around!

SET12 :smoke:
 
Fazeka, the Klipsch sound is surprisingly a modified West Coast sound. Although the sound pallette is tipped to the mids and highs, it takes a hell of a woofer to stay close to the 95 to 104 dB that the Heritage line runs at, which means there is plenty of bass energy being thrown into the room.

Listen to Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles on Heritage Klipsch(which the Fortes, Chorus, and Quartets are-barely) and you will hear plenty of bass. Swap the speakers out for Dynacos, ARs, EPIs, and other noted East Coast proponents, and you will soon notice that Fleetwood's bass has lost some butt.

Just my observation, YMMV.
 
Just traded away a set of KG-4's.Kinda miss them.The Klipsch do have a sound you either love or hate.I am now on the lookout for Fortes.The 4's lost out to my ADS L-810's.Sometimes its hard to make the choice.The new owner has them paired to a small tube amp and is very happy with them.
 
Hi SheltieDave,

You're right, I noticed that immediately the bass on the Fortes was nice. I guess that PR helps in that regard.

However, in my opinion, it seems that the Advents have a certain "sweetness" in the (upper? I want to say) mids that is a little lacking in the Fortes, depending on program material.

If I had to choose only one pair, I think the choice would lean towards the Fortes. I guess that makes me a fan moreso of the West Coast sound when comparing to the East Coast sound. It's funny, I thought I was OK with my Advents as that was a major improvement over my early '70s Toshiba speaks... :music:
 
Hi SheltieDave,

You're right, I noticed that immediately the bass on the Fortes was nice. I guess that PR helps in that regard.

However, in my opinion, it seems that the Advents have a certain "sweetness" in the (upper? I want to say) mids that is a little lacking in the Fortes, depending on program material.

If I had to choose only one pair, I think the choice would lean towards the Fortes. I guess that makes me a fan moreso of the West Coast sound when comparing to the East Coast sound. It's funny, I thought I was OK with my Advents as that was a major improvement over my early '70s Toshiba speaks... :music:

Bob Crites Titanium tweeters are the cure:ntwrthy:Then you'll realize how bad they are and you'll be
wolfcallavantarvy8.gif


I've owned two pairs of Double Advents myself :smoke:

SET12
 
How do KG4s (4.5?) compare to the Fortes? I have a line on a pair for a good price. Too similar (little brother?) to the Fortes?
 
KG4s are two way and Forte's are three way...KG4s and 4.5s are pretty different too...nice speakers but not the same...
Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom