• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Large Advents--best $20 I ever spent!

Puddintane

Super Member
I scored some great New Large Advents last weekend at a local thrift store for a mere $19.99 (plus tax!). The cabs were in terrific condition--until the chowderhead that worked there stacked them when he took them out the side door while I brought my car around. My heart skipped a beat or two when I saw that he had stacked them, and then it nearly stopped when, as he saw me getting out of my car, he slid the top one off to "help" me. Dohhhh!!!! So now one of them has several scratches on the top. But overall they're in very nice condition.

And they sound great. They look like they were refoamed once already. And one surround is cracked, and I can hear it when I get close to 50% on my Pioneer SX-750 (that's pretty loud). But still, I think they sound awesome, with great bass, but not bloated like the behemoth Pioneer CS-77s I also own.

I'm certainly no expert about Advents. I do fondly recall lusting over them at the stereo stores when I was a budding-but-always-broke, teenage, audiophile wannabe in the mid-70s. Does anything about them look fishy to any resident Advent experts? Here are a few pics.

IMG_6978.jpg


IMG_6987-1.jpg


IMG_6986-1.jpg


IMG_6989-1.jpg


IMG_7007-1.jpg


IMG_6999-1.jpg


IMG_7005.jpg


IMG_6993-1.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice pick up !
Hope you get as much enjoyment out of them as I have out of mine .



Barney
 
Nice!!!

Those always were beautiful speakers. I now use my pair in the living room. Great sounding.
 
Nice score. I have three pairs myself. I'd re-foam the drivers to be on the safe side. Lightly sand and refinsh the cabs. You'll have a nice set of good sounding speakers for years to come. Oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt to re-cap the xovers either. Inexpensive and easy to do if you can solder.
 
I'd like to be so lucky. Don't worry about the scratches, those should clean up nicely. Patience, light sanding, oiling, etc and they'll look great again. But, I'd probably have those woofers refoamed, a minor expense to get them good a new. :thmbsp:
 
Wow. Nice. I'd love to find a pair of Advents for 20 bucks. :thmbsp: Sorry to hear about the worker who caused some damage. A very similar scenario happened to me a few weeks ago. I found a pair of ADS L-420s in a thrift store. They were in very, very nice shape until the thrift store loading dock guy dropped one! :tears: He kind of caught it in time, but not before one of the corners got smashed in a bit. :no:
 
Tasty! I'm a big fan of the NLA.

I wouldn't sand and refinish just yet. Try some Howard's Restor-A-Finsh with steel wool first.
 
Unplug those right now and do not use them again until they are properly refoamed. From the sound of it you have already come dangerously close to damaging the woofers.
 
That's why I always always always load my own speakers. The only exception was my DCM TF700 a little to big for me to handle alone, but I guided every step of the way and gave a little tip too.

Tasty! I'm a big fan of the NLA.

I wouldn't sand and refinish just yet. Try some Howard's Restor-A-Finsh with steel wool first.

+1 :thmbsp:

Try that first and by all means re-foam them quickly! Before any damage to the coils can occur. Awesome score!
 
That's why I always always always load my own speakers. The only exception was my DCM TF700 a little to big for me to handle alone, but I guided every step of the way and gave a little tip too.


I agree :yes: I always haul my stuff out myself. A few years back I picked up some DLK/2's at a local thrift and hand carried one at a time. They were heavy but it kept someone who really doesn't care bang them up more.
 
Nice find, thnx for sharing the photosession. :D

until the chowderhead that worked there stacked them, he slid the top one off to "help" me. So now one of them has several scratches on the top.

I found a pair of ADS L-420s in a thrift store. They were in very, very nice shape until the thrift store loading dock guy dropped one, the corners got smashed in a bit.

I always tell them that I'll lift 'the heavy stuff' to prevent these situations, but you can't always prevent them from helping out. Karma I guess?
 
Nope, nothing fishy looking there. They look all original.

I don't think we need to have kiniptions about you playing them. The surrounds still look to be intact enough to keep the VC from rubbing.

If one is cracked though, I would refoam them.

Somebody took good care of those beauties.

Doug
 
Nope, nothing fishy looking there. They look all original.

I don't think we need to have kiniptions about you playing them. The surrounds still look to be intact enough to keep the VC from rubbing.

If one is cracked though, I would refoam them.

Somebody took good care of those beauties.

Doug

I haven't tried to play them very loud. Just for a few seconds that one time, and I could here some abnormal sound coming from the one with the cracked surround and turned them back down. In the last image you can see what looks like excess glue around the edge of the surround from about six o'clock to a little past noon. I'm assuming that's there from a previous surround replacement and not the factory.

IMG_6993-1-1.jpg
 
I haven't tried to play them very loud. Just for a few seconds that one time, and I could here some abnormal sound coming from the one with the cracked surround and turned them back down.

Likely because with the cracked foam the 'sealed' cabinet is no longer sealed and the back pressure the woofer relies on is gone, letting the woofer overextend. The really bad stuff happens when volume is turned up enough and you'll get clackity-clack as the woofer bottoms out against the magnet assembly. It doesn't take much of a breach in the cabinet seal for this to happen. Make sure you've got a good gasket behind the driver (or some of that ever pliable rope caulk stuff) when you put them back together after the refoam.
 
Likely because with the cracked foam the 'sealed' cabinet is no longer sealed and the back pressure the woofer relies on is gone, letting the woofer overextend. The really bad stuff happens when volume is turned up enough and you'll get clackity-clack as the woofer bottoms out against the magnet assembly. It doesn't take much of a breach in the cabinet seal for this to happen. Make sure you've got a good gasket behind the driver (or some of that ever pliable rope caulk stuff) when you put them back together after the refoam.

3M Strip-Calk.

3M_08578.jpg


One of the best products for sealing drivers to baffles.
 
GREAT score!

These are, IMO, the best looking series of the vintage Advents. I also have a set of these "Bullnose" that I listen to every day in my office. For $20, even with the scratches (however unfortunate), money well spent as you will enjoy them for years to come.
 
Back
Top Bottom