• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New music playlist

Late Boomer

Super Member
Inspired by the Is old music killing new music? thread and the Atlantic article, this thread is to prove that there is a lot of good new music, you just need to step away Spotify top whatever list or Top 40 contemporary FM station and look elsewhere.

Please, post the names/songs of relatively new or new-ish acts and songs... say 2010 and newer (to some 2010 may seem as way too old, but to me it is still "new" compared to what I've listened in 1990s. Feel free to limit yourself to 2020 and newer if you feel that 2010 is too old).

If you are going to post links to YouTube, please use URL tag, not MEDIA tag to save page space and to ensure that the page loads quicker.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am getting my new music fix at places like KEXP, KCRW and the like. Some have websites and apps, some have YouTube channels.

My favorite artist for the last several years is Kimbra, who combines great voice with experimentation with electronic gizmos. I like Roosvelt, who is a "man-orchestra", he can plays tons of instruments and records albums all by himself. His music has faux-1980s synth vibe that I like. When he plays live gigs, he hires his friends or local guys. Florence and the Machine is fifteen years old already, oh man, but I still like her and her band. Kraak & Smaak started almost twenty years ago, I need to find something newer for this list. Grimes released her first album in 2010.

Man, I listen to oldies!

Bombay Bicycle Club disappeared and then came back, Wolf Alice formed in 2010. Ok, how about Crumb, they are fairly new, playing since 2016.
 
Last edited:
I recently discovered Ghost. As a lover of metal and horror movies, right up my street, and really good - their newest stuff is more accessible, I think - new album out in March.
 
For new rock/punk I've been liking "The Idles", "Amyl and the Sniffers", "Viagra Boys", and "Parquet Courts".

For new pop I've been liking Bruno Mars and Remi Wolf.

For new jazz I've been liking Renee Rosnes - Kinds of Love. Jazz is definitely the case of old music outselling new music. It's very rare to see something on the "Today's Jazz Playlist" thread that was recorded after 1980.
 
Last edited:
Dang! This is tougher than I thought it'd be.

Edit... (I just looked up what I thought was a newer purchase... Amy Winehouse 'Back To Black" ... 2006! )

Time does fly.
 
Last edited:
I'll add two of my favorites .. videos of mini concerts below. I stream their albums on a regular basis.


 
Does the lack of input for this thread tell us something?
Seems most everything I've aquired within the last 10 years has been new releases of old favorite artists.

I don't do Wordle either. I do crosswords.
My amps and speakers have wires.
I proudly use Shoe Goo.
(Closet Luddite)
 
Last edited:
I've discovered a couple cool bands via KEXP...Rose Windows, very cool vibe and the singers voice! And recently Hugo Kant "Clouds" featuring Astrid Endberg, good relaxing music. Most new music seems to simplistic and just rehashed old music.
 
relatively new or new-ish acts and songs... say 2010 and newer

Some of my favorties from this time period include:

Valerie June, "The Moon and Stars" - 2021
The Killers, "Wonderful Wonderful" - 2017
Kongos, "Lunatic" - 2014
Weezer, "OK Human" - 2021; "The Black Album" - 2019; "Everything will be Alright in the End" - 2014
Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, "Harrow and the Harvest" - 2011
Ryan Adams, "Prisoner" - 2017
Arcade Fire, "Suburbs" - 2010
Daft Punk, "Random Access Memories" - 2013
Hurray for the Riff Raff - "Small Town Heroes" - 2014
Beck, "Morning Phase" - 2014
Justin Townes Earle, "Single Mothers" - 2014; "Kids in the Street" - 2017; "Saint of Lost Causes" - 2019
Chris Stapelton, "From a Room Volumes 1 and 2" - 2017

Sturgill Simpson, "A Sailor's Guide to Earth" - 2016; "Metamodern Sounds in Country Music" - 2015; "Sound and Fury" - 2019 <--the bluegrass records are good also. Sturgill gets bonus points because none of his records sound like any of his other records.

Ben Weaver, "Mirepoix and Smoke" - 2010
Taylor Swift, "Folklore" and "Evermore" - 2020; "Lover" - 2019
Billy Bragg & Wilco, "Mermaid Avenue vols 1-3" - 2012
Leon Bridges "Coming Home" - 2015
Decemberists, "I'll Be Your Girl" - 2018
Rosie Flores, "Working Girl's Guitar" - 2012
The Struts, "Everybody Wants" - 2016
Robbie Fulks, "Gone Away Backwards" - 2013; "Upland Stories" - 2016
Deadstring Brothers, "Cannery Row" - 2013
James McMurtry, "The Horses and the Hounds" - 2021
Alejandro Escovedo - "Big Station" - 2012
Black Pumas, "Black Pumas" - 2019

I've found a lot of new music from compilations from record labels. Bloodshot Records ("While No One Was Looking"), New West Records ("20 Year Anniversary"), Colemine Records ("Soul Slabs") are all great! Check 'em out. The Oxford American magazine publishes a music issue every winter with a CD enclosed - I found a lot of "new to me" things there, and the writing in the music issue is first rate.

Shout out also to KXT, 91.7 FM in Dallas TX - you can stream their station - heavy emphasis on local new music which picks up artists as far south as Austin, TX.

I'm sure there's more worth listing out there. When I find it, I'll give it a spin!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom