• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New NS1000M Owner! But what amp?

davestradamu

Swimming in Sound
I am SO psyched to have picked up my holy-grail speakers yesterday. I have been lusting after the NS1000M for years.

I have a Proton D540 that I have been using as a preamp with an Adcom GFA555 with my NS200M and am fairly happy with the combination.

What are your opinions on this combination for the 1000M? I know the GFA555 does not have a protection relay, and the NS1000M drivers are ridiculously expensive if something goes wrong...
PXL_20201230_011755145.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
i use an emotiva pre and yamaha m-70
i couldnt be happier with out spending a lot of money
 
I have had a pair of 1000Ms I bought new in 1981 that I have driven with every sort of amp. The only killed a tweeter once when I drove a Kenwood receiver to clipping. I regularly drove my Yamaha P2200 amp to peaking at 200wpc for hours at a time back in college... Given the rarity of dome drivers I now have inline fuses on them and have other speakers I play LOUD (ADS L630, L730 and L880/II) since parts and repairs are easily available.
 
I have had a pair of 1000Ms I bought new in 1981 that I have driven with every sort of amp. The only killed a tweeter once when I drove a Kenwood receiver to clipping. I regularly drove my Yamaha P2200 amp to peaking at 200wpc for hours at a time back in college... Given the rarity of dome drivers I now have inline fuses on them and have other speakers I play LOUD (ADS L630, L730 and L880/II) since parts and repairs are easily available.

Hmmm. Were the fuses hard to install? I have some soldering experience.
 
I just use an in-line fuse holder soldered to the end of the positive lead on my speaker wire. I use a 1.5amp fast blow fuse that allows me to play moderately loud. I should mention I keep spares of all drivers and a crossover, just in case... I found an orphan 1000M for $100 on CL local!
 
I just use an in-line fuse holder soldered to the end of the positive lead on my speaker wire. I use a 1.5amp fast blow fuse that allows me to play moderately loud. I should mention I keep spares of all drivers and a crossover, just in case... I found an orphan 1000M for $100 on CL local!

Wow! The prices of the drivers are insane. I really don't ever want to buy one. Maybe I will build a jumper to integrate the fuse on the back of the cabinets. This way, I can use whatever cables I want.
 
I took out a tweeter and I assure you I wasn’t clipping. Please install the fuses, you’ll be glad you did. Its cheap easy insurance.
 
Back
Top Bottom