• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New owner of Denon DP-47F - newbie questions on upgrades

mschool

Active Member
Hello all,

I recently left the USA and retired to the Japanese western countryside and decided to get back into audio. I took delivery of a used Denon DP-47F with a DIATONE AMG-44 cartridge. The cartridge is a MM, as well as my new Onkyo A-9010 44 WATT amplifier preamp. I am enjoying records with Sennheiser HD558 headphones and I am trying to decide if the next step is to purchase speakers or replace the TT cartridge. I know what speakers I want (Yamaha NS-F500) and I’m patiently waiting for a used pair to come onto the market. I tested the speakers with a comparable 44 WATT amplifier and I was very happy with the results. I can’t find specs on the cartridge, but I can get in touch with the seller with questions. He has access to many Denon DP-47F’s with that very cartridge and is selling them on Yahoo auctions in Japan.


I’ve been scanning this board for discussions on the Denon DP-47F and have read the successful MM cartridge replacements seem to be the Audio Technica AT120eb, NAGAOKA MM (MP) Cartridge MP-110, and the Shure m97xe. They are all $200 or less, which suits my budget and tells me that I will experience a much better sound quality if I upgrade to one of these. There’s a big secondary sales market in Japan, and I can probably find something even better at the same price, but again, I’m just kind of blindly selecting simply based on others’ comments.

So, I’ll leave it there. Simply looking for advice and constructive comments given what I have laid out here. It’s incredibly exciting going through audio stuff in Japan. They take great care of their possessions here, so used vinyl and gear is a pleasure to buy. The language is a challenge, but I have help.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have a DP-47F, and I use a Denon DL-110 MC cartridge on it. Excellent cartridge, which is high output, and is a very good match for the 47F.
 
I have a DP-47F, and I use a Denon DL-110 MC cartridge on it. Excellent cartridge, which is high output, and is a very good match for the 47F.
Thank you, I believe read one of your earlier comments about this particular cartridge, with respect to the DP-47F. But when I tracked it down, I discovered that it is moving coil. My amp's built-in phono preamp is moving magnet, and I could not find a matching cartridge from Denon as a MM. I was very disappointed. HOWEVER, after a little more digging, I found this page on the DL-110 http://www.soundhifi.com/denon phono cartridges.html This is the first time I have found an MC cartridge that bills itself as MM compatible. Are there any trade-off's that you know of? Anything about the integrated amp's spec that I need to check beforehand to make sure? These are currently about $250 USD in Japan.

Product features
Easy-to-use high-power MC!
Can be directly connected to the PHONO (MM) terminal of an MM-like output amplifier that does not require a transformer or head amplifier.

[Output voltage] 1.6mV
[Reproduction frequency] 20Hz to 45kHz
[Impedance] 160Ω
[ Needle point] 0.1 x 0.2mm square solid diamond special elliptic needle
[ Needle pressure] 1.8 ± 0.3g
[Compliance] 8 x 10-6cm / dyne
[ Weight: 4.8g
 
Last edited:
Yes, you are correct that it can be hooked up to the MM input of your phono stage. It is very compatible with the 47F arm, and sounds terrific.
 
Back
Top Bottom