• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New PL-L1000

Pio1980

AK Member
tweaked and blueprinted by our Professor Bizzt and I am in audio heaven!
A little shipping problem with a split-fractured and lost cueing post tip sorted out and the VTA being fine-tuned with further listening, I can hear further into a recording with total musical fulfillment so much better than I ever thought within my means thanx to this TT carrying a NOS Matsushita SCSG catridge driving components built/tweaked by myself into a not-half bad monitoring system.
So many records, so little time----:thmbsp::music::D:banana:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
While most of the modifications are proprietary and done to the carrier/pillar platform the whole system is checked and put into perfect mechanical and electrical alignment and a special counterweight substituted for the original counterweight & stub assembly. All this requires several hours of meticulous benchwork which yields a unit with no freeplay or tolerance problems anywhere in portions critical for correct and faultless operation as well as addressing resonant parts and structures. The result is a properly functioning reliable player with exceptionally 'dry' uncolored response with a vast variety of cartridge options possible.
Most of the mods are visually and functionally indistinguishable other than the distinctive crossbar counterweight and the lack of rebound float making the pillar higth adjustment. The Prof and I agree that one shortcoming that could use an eventual economical fix is the lack of a repeatable micrometer pillar higth adjustment, no simple solution has yet presented itself. The strengths of this TT are otherwise so compelling that this factor is worth the somewhat considerable nuisance of getting VTA/SRA right without.
My computer refuses to recognize my new camera's memory module and I'm still trying to get pix off my cell into the computer somehow, so pix are still awaiting. Meantime there's a pic of a similar TT with Professor Bizzt's crossbar counterweight by another AKer somewhere 'round here.
 
Last edited:
My priority for a system is that it filters, editorializes, or otherwise alters the program content signal as little as possible. Mechanical devices like turntables, cartridges, and loudspeakers are prone to resonances and micro- buzzes/rattles that can skew sonics and blur detailing. The mods take care of these and most other problems with the turntable and allow a properly functioning cartridge do it's best. That is to what I'm referring as "dry" and "uncolored" by the turntable/arm in this case.
 
Last edited:
The mods were done by Professor Bizzt, and if you do a search for his posts, you'll find out about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
He put the time and trouble into developing his technics, materials choices, and ingenuity into getting these things to consistently perform to their potential and he's entitled to make a living from his efforts and I'm not about to break his rice bowl by violating his trust in my discretion.
Anyone else is perfectly entitled to get a few of these TT's, play with them for a while, tear them totally down and find the short-cuts and other factors done to make them competitively affordable and work out how to correct and compensate without running costs out of range if for commercial enterprise.
 
Last edited:
My computer refuses to recognize my new camera's memory module and I'm still trying to get pix off my cell into the computer somehow, so pix are still awaiting.

I ran into a similar problem last year when I upgraded from a 1 gig SD card to a 4 gig SDHC card. My laptop and all my external card readers were incompatible with the HC cards. I had to buy a $15 USB SDHC compliant reader from Staples.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations, I bet that is a stellar sounding setup. That's a strain guage cart, correct? Regardless, I know that turntable can sound fantastic even when its not been fine tuned- happy listening!
 
Yep, a NOS EPC-450C-II with a custom pre direct-driving a mod'ed tube power amp thru a passive controller.
 
I am looking forward to the pictures.

As for proprietary or not, it seems that if you make a custom counterweight and stub system it would be a bit proprietary. Considering this isn't in the DIY forum, I think you need to relax a bit. If someone wants to give out secrets, they can, if not it is up to them. I believe the OP was leaving it up to Professor Bizzt as to whether the mods were for mass distribution or not.

Maybe you should get a few more posts under your belt before you start popping off about how things should and should not be around these parts.
 
Last edited:
Congrats on your PL-L1000. I managed to get one last week from an estate sale, and think we're fishing the same waters as far as impressions. You're exactly right, so much music and so little time now.

Hope you're able to enjoy you're table for many years to come now.
 
Congrats on your PL-L1000. I managed to get one last week from an estate sale, and think we're fishing the same waters as far as impressions. You're exactly right, so much music and so little time now.

Hope you're able to enjoy you're table for many years to come now.

Be sure to post pics and let us know if you do any tuneups or mods. I've been all through mine.
 
I ran into a similar problem last year when I upgraded from a 1 gig SD card to a 4 gig SDHC card. My laptop and all my external card readers were incompatible with the HC cards. I had to buy a $15 USB SDHC compliant reader from Staples.

Well, it worked! I used a smaller 2 gig card salvaged from an Iraqi sand-damaged camera.
Here's a couple quickies;
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom