• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Pressing Technology

I think that, at $160,000 a pop, it might still be a difficult sell to some of the currently established plants like United or QRP. A refurbished SMT press is automated and reasonably reliable. Some folks have even added modern computer controls to them. This can be done at far less expense than the projected cost of these new ones. While current sensor and actuator technology, coupled with the right custom software, may take some of the art out of the process and enable much less experienced operators to churn out good records it doesn't seem like a huge savings on an already fairly low-margin business. I wish them luck in this endeavor, and I hope I'm wrong. New machines certainly are sorely needed.
Given current demands placed on these ancient machines, breakdowns will be costly, not just for the repairs but for lost productivity, not to mention scrapping defective records that may be already pressed before the breakdown is discovered. And just like old cars, when one thing goes something else is not far behind...

I know little of the mechanics of pressing records, but I agree that we need more presses, ones that take some of the black art out of the production, leaving a more reliable and desirable product in our hands.
 
I'm sure you guys are correct. I repair cars, and "old car syndrome" is difficult to get ahead of in most cases. The money pit that is an old press is bad enough, but it's an incremental and known expense. $160,000 at a whack may be more than the budget can bear for many. Guess we'll see as it goes.
 
Back
Top Bottom