• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Project on the bench Kenwood KA-5700 Amp

Mike Sweeney

Well-Known Member
I normally work on Marantz gear but I got a good deal on this Kenwood amp and decided to have some fun. Overall, it was clean but dusty with the normal gunk on the controls.

No burned parts and it did work but weakly when I gave it a trial run. When I pulled the filter caps out 6800uf at 42 volts, I tested them. They passed ESR but failed on leak testing.. couldn't get above 20 volts without significant leakage. Like the Marantz units, this is pretty normal from what I've seen. I replaced those with 6800 uf at 80 volts. I might replace them later with a bit more capacitance but this is what I had in the parts bin. All the caps so far have been leaky and now I'm waiting for some non-polarized caps and a new protection relay. I just finished a KD 2070 turntable which will be matched up to this amp when it's done

IMG_6583.jpg IMG_6584.jpg IMG_6585.jpg IMG_6586.jpg IMG_6587.jpg IMG_6589.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
7AA4D8CD-E5F7-42B6-980B-32678DC621B1.jpeg 2FF56E27-3EB7-4030-B728-49672F6FE7B3.jpeg 19173784-632C-4611-B1E3-816C3135613F.jpeg 44DFE77A-B2B6-4D81-9982-6995178E4C1F.jpeg

Whoot!! Got 95% done enough to bring it up with new caps and relay. Still a few minor caps to swap out but damn it sounds good now. Replaced the lamp witj an LED lamp, deoxit the controls, new relay, diodes, caps. Still need some safety caps to replace thr old ones. She draws .25 amps at 117 volts and 17.5 watts

Just in time for th playoffs :)
 
tZSjaTfrraVLoymHQ5fq8c2p8qPMeYe2MrYob2lIsAW3wQMtwQrkL4kKAzUnWdjrI140Pdx5f2DKHN4eGgDoOFRuMUKGBzknAi39vbfewwMAWhQfdPNtkR6jhgJEhHqMpgbmGej4GYLo-zK6fL9S5APx7KcQM1N1P19vZG_wTApXqNEVLyd71fB7JCV8ZrC7AlZnaiTw8gKblKh6acg6gbGFRc7rEuEcsx3kwoEV-A6C2BVQEaDpKbn_E8G3USP1wRsHLXek1z12k-MYz2xYuhJAKQRqSJN8hvVySVcsn7VLcID6vfdAlrbmhPlrWsCnFg7PZJV4kQ8Jg9ARI0jHd3dISxYDxjrStVuxG4h7c3eXPGG3zzNWh1XkhQxjEzW0TYGsPEnMD-6LotYoXfKjIGbxSffBWBK-12RFvvBJbp7E67yMNpDruUqWSiKqKw6nrH19aSwuzfF2_VSnfmlBpLRNF1XRRIy6k7u1Ul56KOplo5M8EQeMK4QE6QMVmoiIRSnxd1jzLYB0fYNcEZF9zE0DZtl0i4dRPEKnmKSrRfxoBiMjLsGbHCAgxYcUCw3jpvi6q6kss-mZo0DHZThl8U7EYBswDjNdWsVA4A4U09yYUkjYtpqZYPtvPYcC5en0ek8Jwk_guV7jLY0prW93dbDi=w806-h604-no

Nice! I do enjoy listening to mine! Where did you get your LED meter light?
 
28F01F95-40A7-4ACF-B204-F85787CD53E2.jpeg 08518D21-ADCD-4FE8-B627-4FE72C1D5CDA.jpeg 4EFD0F2A-067A-43A7-B9ED-C916204DBD5C.jpeg

Done!! Both the KA5500 and KT5500 tuner. Kicks butt and sounds really well.

I replaced the two zeners with new zeners 4005s that i bought years ago from radio. Shack for a past project :)

I had to replace one of my new led lamps. It was erratic and would flicker. It started after i adjustef vr2 for the stereo led. Mine was at 16 khz instead of the 19 called for. I ened up deoxit the pot then flush it with cleaner then using deoxit shield for the final fix. Now it's 19 khz rock steady. I wasted some time trying to work out why this would mess with the led. It didn't and can't :)
 
I probably mis-spoke here with the 1S2076 by calling it a zener.. that was the next line down. This diode is replaced by 1N4005
 
Back
Top Bottom