• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New RCA cables. Sound is horrible.

Hmmm, I'm finding a different capacitance spec for the W2965 on Mogami's web site (see there: MOGAMI® - Bulk Patch Cables), namely just 17.4 pF/foot. So those 5 feet shouldn't cause an excessive load capacitance.

Unfortunately I can't dertermine the input capacitance of the STR-6055, though. Hmmm....

Bingy: Did you check the tracking force, after you've been working on the Sanyo? And did you already give the needle a proper cleaning?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Well. Cut the Mogami W2549 down about 12 inches. Same size as the old OEM. Same sound. Dull and compressed. Uff. Now what?
Are you using W2965 as stated earlier or W2549? I don't think the cable is the issue.
 
Hmmm, I'm finding a different capacitance spec for the W2965 on Mogami's web site (see there: MOGAMI® - Bulk Patch Cables), namely just 17.4 pF/foot. So those 5 feet shouldn't cause an excessive load capacitance.

Unfortunately I can't dertermine the input capacitance of the STR-6055, though. Hmmm....

Bingy: Did you check the tracking force, after you've been working on the Sanyo? And did you already give the needle a proper cleaning?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Yes sir. I adjusted to 2 grams per AT cartridge. Not sure what is going on. Bass is deep but not detailed. Just a womp womp sound. Can’t hear high hat on practically any albums. Voice highs are screeching and deafening.

Hooked up my daughters cheap technics and it wasn’t much better. But she has an old cartridge. But here is the kicker. I have two of the same receivers and both are sounding the same. It has to be the cable.
 
Another mistake. It wasn’t broke. So I don’t know why I tried to fix it. Sanyo TP600SA turntable. Got it for free. It’s been amazing and the sound was incredible. But I always had this weird issue with the original RCA cables. They were grimey and old.

I bought new cables from eBay (Mogami) and solder them in and now the sound is terrible. Very dull and flat. The Capacitance at 1kHz - 27.0 pF/Ft.

I should have left the old cables on. But now what? The old cables are cut up and unusable. I desoldered the new cables and tried to resolder again thinking it was a bad connection. It’s not. Same terrible sound.

Anyone have any advice??!
I've had some Amazon cables that hum like crazy.

I have had very good luck with the J&D Brand

1769463459490.png
 
Sometimes it just takes time for new cables to come on-song.

I have experienced this with both interconnects and power cables.

I would not have believed it, had I not heard it. :yikes:

Like a lot of things - like too much Global Negative Feedback applied to an amp circuit - I doubt the problem is measurable with a scope... only measurable with our ears.

I know others will disagree, but that's my experience.
There is nothing in a cable that can change with time. The only thing that can change is your mood.
Chris
 
Hmmm, really odd...

Could you already exclude the possibility of one reversed channel? For a quick, comparatively convenient check you could simply reverse the polarity of one of the two speakers (be at at the speaker terminal of the Sony or at the terminal of the loudspeaker, whichever is more convenient to access).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Old wives' tale.

Capacitance is probably too high.

Make some loading plugs
27pF/ft isn't what I'd call high. I doubt you'll find many cables with much lower capacitance.
I installed Mogami W2549 cables on a SL-1300 with great results. The signal conductor is listed as 3.4 pF/ft.
That isn't quite true. The capacitance between the two inner conductors is 3.4pF/ft but the capacitance between each of the inner conductors and the shield is much higher. The capacitance you end up with will depend on how you wire it.
Perhaps the issue is something other than the cable.
My thoughts exactly. I doubt very much that a change of cable would result in sound as bad as the OP is describing. I suspect an error in the wiring.
 
Hmmm, really odd...

Could you already exclude the possibility of one reversed channel? For a quick, comparatively convenient check you could simply reverse the polarity of one of the two speakers (be at at the speaker terminal of the Sony or at the terminal of the loudspeaker, whichever is more convenient to access).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Man. I am trying everything here and hoping it’s one of these recommendations. Unfortunately still nothing. Reversed polarity. Same sound.

Super pissed I did this. The turntable and receiver were producing really amazing sound two days ago. Deep depth across albums. I made the dumb decision and thought I should upgrade the rca because the one on the turntable was nasty. Big mistake. Now I am basically listening to muted records.

will monitor Facebook for another good deal on turntable or just take the stupid tax and buy a fluance and see if I am going deaf.

Annoyed
 
Super pissed I did this....

will monitor Facebook for another good deal on turntable...

I wouldn't give up on the Sanyo yet
I agree, dumping the turntable seems rather drastic.
My guess is that there's been an error in the wiring, or something was knocked out-of-whack when the turntable was dismantled and turned upside down (presumably) to do the work.
 
A good, detailed picture of the connections between the tonearm wiring and the new interconnects would be helpful to those trying to help you.

And is there any chance that you damaged your cartridge/stylus during the process of re-wiring? Or that you got a chunk of something on the stylus. I agree with @cafe latte that the sound you are describing has the characteristics of a very dirty stylus. Or a missing/damaged stone.
 
Last edited:
That's OK, You can call it "Break-In"... Some of us understand, Others will Never understand!

Give it a week, Play your tunes. Adjust your tone controls, Move the speakers around a little.

Helps if you build great turntables and speakers...

YNiyaPw.jpeg


cWCaHXX.jpeg


V8W8a2F.jpeg
damn. giving credence to "noh sahj ting az tu beeg!"
im surprised no one said such here.
those are brutiful!
 
That's OK, You can call it "Break-In"... Some of us understand, Others will Never understand!

Give it a week, Play your tunes. Adjust your tone controls, Move the speakers around a little.

Helps if you build great turntables and speakers...

YNiyaPw.jpeg


cWCaHXX.jpeg


V8W8a2F.jpeg
those speakers are dope! what are they?
 
there is no way capacitance can change the sound so drastically...something else is wrong, or maybe cables are really bad...

anyway, i would take the tt to any decent repairman and put rca inputs into it, and change the cables any way you like...it's not so complicated and expensive intervention...
 
Back
Top Bottom