• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New speaker day JBL drivers need recone advice

dondoucette

Too Many Projects
So I picked up some sort of JBL bastard speakers Today...

IMG_1887_zpsn0xephxf.jpg


IMG_1888_zpsyjgpiakb.jpg


They each have a 075 tweeter, D130 woofer and a N2400 crossover.

IMG_1889_zpsn0ciwwzs.jpg


IMG_1886_zpssw3jzzen.jpg


IMG_1890_zpse4hw8jsm.jpg


Sadly one of the D130's is not very happy at all, check out the YouTube link...
IMG_1891_zps4jah02np.jpg


https://youtu.be/HgnCfbcT4TQ

So now I'm thinking I should send out the two D130's for a recone, chances are if one is blown the other was abused to hell too, so who does the best recones on JBL in Canada better if they are close to Saskatchewan but that's probably not likely.

Also has anyone seen a JBL speaker like this before? Looks sort of DIY to me.

Thanks
Don
 
Register to hide this ad
The cabinets look home made.

I wouldn't assume both woofers are bad just because one is, and I'd also see if the reason one has an open voice coil isn't related to a problem with the flex leads between the terminals and the cone.
 
good score,im in the same boat as I have a 1956 JBL 130a woofer needing reconeing as well.It originally came in a mono fisher system with a jbl 175 dlh horn.I had this complete speaker in use and it was awesome to say the least,altho I didn't push it.Ran it on tube amps,have missed the sound since!

hunter
 
The cabinets look home made.

I wouldn't assume both woofers are bad just because one is, and I'd also see if the reason one has an open voice coil isn't related to a problem with the flex leads between the terminals and the cone.

I'm thinking you did not check out the Youtube vid... That VC is cooked!
 
good score,im in the same boat as I have a 1956 JBL 130a woofer needing reconeing as well.It originally came in a mono fisher system with a jbl 175 dlh horn.I had this complete speaker in use and it was awesome to say the least,altho I didn't push it.Ran it on tube amps,have missed the sound since!

hunter

Yeah I'm ditching the cabs and building my own, and I will do both just so that they sound similar, I'd hate to have one with an aftermarket cone (since OEM's aren't made now) and one with an original and have some weirdness between the two. I might also investigate doing the recone myself but my crappy eyesight and shaky hands make that seem a daunting task.

I'll let you know if I find a good place to get the work done, I'll be sure to give a review once I have them back.
 
Repair whats broken and give 'em a listen. Install mid range horns and add the needed crossover if & when you want to further work on them. The existing cabinets may be ok with a lil tlc.
 
Back
Top Bottom