• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New speakers delivered to me were manufactured 4.4 years ago?

I guess my question would be: was the date of manufacture for the speaker itself, or could it be for some parts or anything else in the box?
 
Should sound good
"
According to expert reviews from outlets like SoundStage! Hi-Fi, the Aon 3 delivers an expansive soundstage, deep and agile bass for its size, and smooth, effortless high frequencies. Reviewers note that the integration between the folded-ribbon tweeter, mid-bass driver, and side passive radiators allows it to play much bigger than its modest enclosure suggests"

Give them time. Perhaps run them at high volume for a while.
 
I guess my question would be: was the date of manufacture for the speaker itself, or could it be for some parts or anything else in the box?
I assume it is for the complete build it's a sticker affixed to each box
 
The info included with the Aon says about 60 hours for "break in time". No debate from me on this
My current Tannoy Chevoit's took the longest to fully stretch out. I ran a Rel sub with them for about 3 months, at this point the crossover had been dropped to its lowest point and they sounded muddy in the mix. So I pulled it out. Somewhere around 6 months they seemed to reach their full bloom.
 
It's always struck me as odd that a major manufacturer would sell an expensive speaker with drivers they couldn't test, that didn't work correctly. Because that's what this concept of long break in all really boils down to. Sure, it might take a few minutes for a driver to wake up, I've heard that. But months? Wtf kind of consistency could possibly be achieved in that manner? "Hey this driver/speaker sounds horrible, let's use it anyways and hope it's mechanical characteristics change in our favor" seems like really bad design practice...
 
Wtf kind of consistency could possibly be achieved in that manner
The sales staff told me that the full break in was loooong. Tannoy had been improving the co-axile design for over 70 yrs by the time mine were built. I believe they've figured out the mechanics. ;)
 
It's always struck me as odd that a major manufacturer would sell an expensive speaker with drivers they couldn't test, that didn't work correctly. Because that's what this concept of long break in all really boils down to. Sure, it might take a few minutes for a driver to wake up, I've heard that. But months? Wtf kind of consistency could possibly be achieved in that manner? "Hey this driver/speaker sounds horrible, let's use it anyways and hope it's mechanical characteristics change in our favor" seems like really bad design practice...

Not really that surprising, and the alternates would be: either run the speakers on a 100-hour break-in (only 4 days actually) at the factory which would take time and space, sell something that is perfect UNTIL it breaks in, or what we have presently where the manufacturers know how their speakers will sound/measure after break-in and sell them in as-manufactured condition.

Buy a new performance car from a high-quality European manufacturer and your engine will be limited electronically until you reach the break-in mileage, same with a new Corvette, so this isn’t that unique for a mechanical device.

Unlike break-in claims on speaker cables and other non-mechanical items this isn’t mythology generated to trick buyers into getting used to the new sound, it is actually measurable (my friend measures and documents each installation, has for decades). If the speaker manufacturing process and materials are controlled well it is also very predictable and the result after break-in is consistent.

I can’t state that manufacturers buying their drivers and without expansive test facilities can produce the consistent results of JBL or Yamaha, but hopefully they come close enough to meet their (usually vague as are the AEON 3 specs) published specs.
 
Last edited:
@fredgarvin, Thank you for that. I am enjoying them. I regret my initial, after 2 minutes of use, 5-word review. I was smoldering over the born-on dates...

I retired them to their small room home and hooked up the NS-1000's and guess what? First few seconds of play time and my ears did not care for what I was hearing. Of course that changed quickly, but maybe I just get homed in on my particular sounding speakers, reflections and what not. I don't know, but it seems like with me that may be the story
 
Back
Top Bottom