• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New speaks for me

spkrdood said:
Tell you what, I'll swap you a pair for the Sequerras straight up. :yes:

I've said before that my Polk 7b's were untouchable. Well with about 10 week's worth of listening to the Sequerras, they are added to the list.

How about a pair of Minumus 7's? I'll even pay shipping?
 
Congrats Ray!

And who says that Southern Illinois is the middle of nowhere... oh wait, look who's talking...
 
Congrats Ray!

And who says that Southern Illinois is the middle of nowhere... oh wait, look who's talking...

Hey, you have yet to make the trek over here and see the end of the world for yourself. Just head towards Harrisburg and go 30 miles past the last fast food you see. Just before you fall off the edge, turn left. :D

For anyone interested, I live 4 miles from here:
http://www.backpackcamp.com/GardenOfTheGods.html

As for a speaker update, I've put grills on both and the family agrees that they're better looking with them. Now I need to move stuff around and work on some imaging.

Ray
 
I missed this thread the first time through.

Nice job Ray:thmbsp:

Oh, and the best way to protect speakers from sword fights, gymnastics sessions, and my favorite, collisions with the "Cozy Coup", is to chain a really big dog to them.
 
How about this one? Unfortunately she drastically changes the acoustics of the room.

Oh, and the Crazy Coup is at the in-laws so it's not a danger.

Note: girl is a friend about 12 years old added for scale.

Ray
 

Attachments

  • grimlap.jpg
    grimlap.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 86
These are fresh off the assembly line floor (aka garage). They are a transmission line design somewhat like the Madisound Thor kit only with a grand less in driver cost. These are built from Peerless drivers (6.5"/1" soft dome) that were used in a production model that never made it to market at a company I used to work for (marketing guys asked for a full HT system and when we provided it they decided not to enter that market). They are my new mains and I'm really happy.

"There's no replacement for displacement" but these make more bass than a 6.5 has any right to. I need to do some moving around to get imaging nailed down and that's a chore with 6 pairs of speakers in that room but we'll see.

There is some goop on one of the cones that needs cleaning but I was impatient about listening so it'll wait.

I'm contemplating grills and have some prototypes in process but I'm not sure I want to put holes in the boxes for mounting.

Ray

edit: p.s. anyone in driving distance of southern IL welcome to come by for a listen!


They look like my Pioneer CS-J835's.... nice work!!
 
How about this one? Unfortunately she drastically changes the acoustics of the room.

Oh, and the Crazy Coup is at the in-laws so it's not a danger.

Note: girl is a friend about 12 years old added for scale.

Ray

acoustadog. Need couple for a real lively room.
 
Just a suggestion for attaching the grills without hurting the cabs: adbesive-backed velcro strips. No need to drill holes. The adhesive on them sticks hard, but it can be removed later without harming the cabinets. Makes it easy to remove and replace the grills any time you want to, and if the velcro strips ever do come off, they can be easily stuck back on with a reasonable choice of adhesive or a new velcro strip. You could staple/nail the strips onto the back of the grills if you wanted, for greater durability.
 
Recently, when building speakers, i have been using little neo magnets under the veneer and in the grilles themselves. When the grilles are off, there is no evidence of it existing.
 
That'll be my next pair, Dave. Are you talking about the little magnets that always seem to be on sale at PE?

For this pair I just bit the bullet and used the plastic hoober-doobers. I figure the grills are pretty much always on now unless I'm doing "critical listening" and then I'm usually alone and my eyes are closed.

kfa: there's a great pyrenees to keep her company. Kind of a stereo effect.

Lastplace: let me know when and I'll get a system setup in the guest bedroom. :)

Arkay: appreciate the suggestion but for some reason I have a mental problem with velcro on my speakers. I just associate it with cheaper speakers. I know it's not necessarily true but I have trouble getting over it.

Ray
 
I bought a bunch of them off ebay a few years ago, but the ones at PE are nearly exactly what I bought. They work great! One trick i learned to save some money is only put the magnets in the speaker, and then use some sheetmetal or a ferrous screw/bolt in the grille assembly. The magnets are expensive in comparison. :)
 
One trick i learned to save some money is only put the magnets in the speaker, and then use some sheetmetal or a ferrous screw/bolt in the grille assembly.

Are they strong enough to hold up a decent sized hunk of MDF? Usually for purely cosmetic grills that will be removed for serious listening I just use bits and pieces I have laying around. If I have to do something lighter then I have to go buy more material like masonite or some such.

Ray
 
With my magnets, yes. I'd esimate the weight at no more than 2 lbs though. Worth trying it out, i suppose.
 
These are fresh off the assembly line floor (aka garage). They are a transmission line design somewhat like the Madisound Thor kit only with a grand less in driver cost. These are built from Peerless drivers (6.5"/1" soft dome) that were used in a production model that never made it to market at a company I used to work for (marketing guys asked for a full HT system and when we provided it they decided not to enter that market). They are my new mains and I'm really happy.

"There's no replacement for displacement" but these make more bass than a 6.5 has any right to. I need to do some moving around to get imaging nailed down and that's a chore with 6 pairs of speakers in that room but we'll see.

There is some goop on one of the cones that needs cleaning but I was impatient about listening so it'll wait.

I'm contemplating grills and have some prototypes in process but I'm not sure I want to put holes in the boxes for mounting.

Ray

edit: p.s. anyone in driving distance of southern IL welcome to come by for a listen!

Ray,

Those are really nice speakers, you did a beautiful job on those! I recently picked up a pair of MTM DIY's, and they are real close to being the best speakers I've ever heard. Mine are floor standing with Vifa XG18 7" woof's and Seas TDFC Tweets. I'd love to be able to come there and have a listen, but I live in So Cal. I bet they sound incredible! Once again, you did an awesome job.

Enjoy them,

Ron
 
Thanks Y-dad! I did the calculations once when talking about diving with OnePixel and I think we figured about $1100 in gas to drive it. That's a bit steep but if you're ever passing through... :)

I read your thread on your speaker find and I'd love to hear them!

Ray
 
Back
Top Bottom