• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New stylus

sendust

Music feeds the soul
Subscriber
Hi i kind of asked this question but did not present it well. I have a Pioneer PL 55x with an Empire 2000 E/111 cartridge including the original Empire stylus. I would like to upgrade this stylus to achieve maximum clarity for this cart. Any suggestions on which i should purchase or is this a waste of time. Pete
 
Register to hide this ad
It would appear that These guys have a replacement. Is it a good sounding cart? That I don't know, I don't have experience with that one. Maybe someone will be along shortly with info. I research this site, and you will need the model number "237" to match up.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/EMPIRE_c_24575.html

No afiliation to Turntableneedle by the way :)
 
The empire 2000 was my first cartridge in 1978. I would consider it a budget cartridge. Not bad, very bright, didn't sound nearly has nice as the Shure V15 or the Ortofon VMS I replaced it with.
 
Synergy with these cartridges is very TT and arm dependent. I have a few Empires and I have that one. It runs well on the JVC TT and not so good on the DUAL.
 
I have one

I have one of these mounted to a Pioneer PL-740 (same as PL-S50) straight arm from the early eighties, DD, full auto.
As I have picked up other combinations it is out of the rotation and will be sold off at some point. Much thinner sounding to me that the Shures are. Keep in mind mine is using the Pfansteihl replacement stylus and I definitely do not recommend it on this cart. Sibilance is high no matter how I adjust and while it may be operator error it has not happened with my other two carts.
Just my .02 YMMV.
 
Empire cartridges were generally well thought of. I personally wouldn't buy a new stylus for one though as they have been out of production for some time. I would replace the cartridge with something like the Shure M97xE. My favorite cartridge for the price. I have two. I have one Empire cart and like the way it sounds, but wouldn't buy a stylus for it due to the expense and the fact that the stylus would likely be NOS.
 
Back
Top Bottom