• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to Marantz in a crazy way

boatdrinks77

Well-Known Member
Hi guys, I have always owned Pioneer gear, but in the last 3 weeks I have ended up with Marantz,Marantz,Marantz. Started out when my buddy called me up to tell me there was an old receiver at this garage sale he was at - A Marantz 2230 in immaculate shape - I told him to buy it for me---$20.00 . He didn't notice the power switch was broken. No biggie, it still powers up by plugging it in. A few days later I found a 2230 with the original owners manual on Craigslist for $25. This one blows the main fuse instantly, but i figured i could use it for the power switch. Then I ran across a mint 2245 with the wooden cabinet (again on craigslist) for $100, so i grabbed that one. Yesterday I walk into Goodwill and sitting on the shelf is a 4400.... That cost me $59.99 and a hernia to getting it to my car. Today i stop in the same Goodwill and find a 5030b cassette deck for $14.99. Apparently Someone or something wants me to own Marantz gear, so i'm gonna roll with it. I never really had any interest in Marantz until i got that first 2230. When i opened it up to see about the broken power switch, I was quite impressed with the build quality of the Marantz over my Pioneer gear. Now i'm obsessed. Thank god i'm divorced.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
That's some serious good luck you've been having there. Vintage Marantz gear is truly awesome and I know you'll enjoy them. Feel free to post pictures and updates on how everything works!
 
void

Wow, you are living in a honey hole. That old Marantz gear around here is scarce. It's been years since I've seen it pop up cheap. Too many flippers here now. A Marantz CL for a decent price here lasts about 1 hour.

Enjoy
 
Well, I fired up the 4400 this morning - it looks as if it has problems.... A few lights out, I plugged headphones into jack, popped it on FM and barely any sound and the volume pot does nothing. UGH. Oh well, i shouldn't complain, it's a 4400 and it cost me $60.... and cosmetically it's in awesome shape. Gonna pull it apart and clean those switches and pots and see what happens.

WHO IS THE REIGNING 4400 Quad expert out there ??? I want to fix this thing !!! Also, What wood cabinet goes on this beast ??? Any suggestions and help would be so appreciated !!!! Thanks guys, Dan :)
 
Dan,
Check the 'Local/Remote' switch on the back of the 4400, clean it and set it to local. Oh, and look for missing pre-main jumpers.
Never, ever cycle the rear panel 'Power Mode' switch with the unit on or you risk damage.
WC-43 is the case you want.
BTW,:worthless
Tom
 
I recently picked up a Marantz 1070 for $15, and a Marantz DV7000 dvd/cd player for free. I was able to adjust the amp back to specs.

I have had "midfi" audio equipment since 1977 (Kenwood, Pioneer, Technics, Sony, Denon, MCS (married this one, but actually not too bad a receiver), and now Marantz ).

With the exception of my beloved Sony VFET TA4650, the Marantz is the nicest sounding (although the Denon PMA920 has lots more earthshaking punch on my "party system" due to higher amp output).

The Marantz even gives my VFET a run, and I am currently using it on my main system until I can replace potentially fatal diodes in my 4650.

I used to "poo poo" those who bragged on Marantz amps in my college days (late 70's), when I thought Kenwood and Pioneer ruled the mainstream amp/receiver market. I guess "old dogs" can learn a thing or two.

Enjoy your Marantz.
 
Last edited:
Catrafter,

Thanks for the advice and input. I will check those things as soon as i am able. As soon as i get this receiver going, i'm selling my Pioneer QX-949.
 
Well, I fired up the 4400 this morning - it looks as if it has problems.... A few lights out, I plugged headphones into jack, popped it on FM and barely any sound and the volume pot does nothing. UGH. Oh well, i shouldn't complain, it's a 4400 and it cost me $60.... and cosmetically it's in awesome shape. Gonna pull it apart and clean those switches and pots and see what happens.

WHO IS THE REIGNING 4400 Quad expert out there ??? I want to fix this thing !!! Also, What wood cabinet goes on this beast ??? Any suggestions and help would be so appreciated !!!! Thanks guys, Dan :)

Wow, a 4400 in any condition for under $100 is a SCORE!

To get good help with troubleshooting and restoration, best to start a new thread with Marantz 4400 in the title, that will flush out all us Marantz fanatics. I've been looking for a 4400 ever since I missed out on 2 at a garage sale for $250, the pair!

Good Luck and get some photos up here or in the new thread. Be looking for 'ya!

Bart
 
Whoa!! Nice scores on those Marantz receivers! Especially that 4400!

Hope you get them working good!
 
I've been caught by the Marantz bug aswell after listening to a mates 2216BL with 4Mk II's. This week I have found a mint conditon (cosmetically) 2250 with black face, but the pre/main jumpers are missing and I am not getting any sound! Hopefully repairable though? 500 swedish kronor ($70). A mint 2238 that just needs bulbs replacing $85, A mint 2220 for $75, but I guess the real bargain was a pair of HD 660's that I am about to refoam for $15. You could say that they didn't come cheap but then I am in Sweden!!!!
 
Well, I fired up the 4400 this morning - it looks as if it has problems.... A few lights out, I plugged headphones into jack, popped it on FM and barely any sound and the volume pot does nothing. UGH. Oh well, i shouldn't complain, it's a 4400 and it cost me $60.... and cosmetically it's in awesome shape. Gonna pull it apart and clean those switches and pots and see what happens.

WHO IS THE REIGNING 4400 Quad expert out there ??? I want to fix this thing !!! Also, What wood cabinet goes on this beast ??? Any suggestions and help would be so appreciated !!!! Thanks guys, Dan :)

I'm not the expert, but as a Marantz owner and appreciator I along with many here IMPLORE you not to give up on the quad unit... Bring it back to life and you will have something you can enjoy for years and years.:yes:
 
I've been caught by the Marantz bug aswell after listening to a mates 2216BL with 4Mk II's. This week I have found a mint conditon (cosmetically) 2250 with black face, but the pre/main jumpers are missing and I am not getting any sound! Hopefully repairable though? 500 swedish kronor ($70). A mint 2238 that just needs bulbs replacing $85, A mint 2220 for $75, but I guess the real bargain was a pair of HD 660's that I am about to refoam for $15. You could say that they didn't come cheap but then I am in Sweden!!!!

First thing is to plug a pair of interconnects into the PreOut to AmpIn jacks - that will function like the jumpers and should provide signal path. If that doesn't work, then you need to do more trouble shooting, divide and conquer - take the PreOut and then plug into known good amp to test preamp side. Then do the complimentary - take signal from known good preamp and plug into AmpIn to test amp side.

Start a new thread and help will be on the way.
 
Ok so I used a pair of interconnects to act as jumpers but noticed I am not getting a "click" when the amp is turned on so does this need lookin at before I try anything you suggested? Does this point to any 1 particular part that will immediately fix the problem or can it be like finding a needle in a haystack?
 
Which model are you talking about, the 2216B? If so, it has no speaker protection relay to click. It has speaker protection fuses, F701 and F702 3.5A/250V located on the power amp board.
If they are blown, you should check the DC offset for problems before you connect it to any speakers that you care about. As an alternative, you can replace the fuses and hook it up to a set of junk speakers (or dummy loads) and see what happens. This is know as a smoke test for good reason.

Tom
 
It is the 2250B that I have the problem with. Any ideas?

OK, the 2250B does have a speaker protection relay.
No click could be caused by the protection circuit being faulty and/or at least one of the power amps having high DC offset.
Check the DC offset at the output of the amps to narrow down the problem.
with the volume control fully counter (anti) clockwise, measure from J709 to chassis ground with your meter set to DC volts on both the left and right power amp modules. Anything over a few volts will keep it in protection. If those readings are good, then look for bad electrolytic capacitors on the P800 power supply board, C807,808,809 are likely suspects.

Tom
 
Thanks for the pointers Tom,I'll take a look at those and see what I get. Be prepared for a few more questions yet though!! I,m not atall electrically minded but i'm learning. :thmbsp: Does any of it seem like it may be fairly expensive or is it just a case of knowing exactly what to do?
 
Ok so I used a pair of interconnects to act as jumpers but noticed I am not getting a "click" when the amp is turned on so does this need lookin at before I try anything you suggested? Does this point to any 1 particular part that will immediately fix the problem or can it be like finding a needle in a haystack?

At this point it's difficult to predict costs.
I think you should start your own thread in the Marantz forum, you could title it 'Marantz 2250B help needed' or something like that. You should get a lot more assistance that way.

Tom
 
Back
Top Bottom