• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New (to me) Curtis Mathes project tube receiver...

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
Thanks to Dwayne (Audiopeasant), I picked up a Curtis Mathes console yesterday.

The woodwork wasn't any great shakes (many finish problems, torn grilles, missing hardware, etc)... but the amp seems to basically work. I've pulled it all out of the console... I think I'm gonna build it up into a stand-alone piece of some sort. Push-pull EL84s with nice looking (pretty beefy) transformers... a touch larger than equivalent Magnavox trannies, form appearance...

Unfortunately, though my Sams stash has SOME Curtis Mathes... it apparently does not have the model 15A122, which this is. I'd like to see how the original circuits were set up, before taking it limb-from-limb. If it looks well designed or otherwise interesting, it might be something to preserve. In lieu of the schematic, I'm going to try and trace things out manually... which might take a while...

But, at the very least... a nice start for a good EL84-based power or integrated amp...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice find and good luck with that. I've seen a few CM units but they were usually integrated into the console as a receiver. Is this a stand-alone PP amp?
 
Nice find and good luck with that. I've seen a few CM units but they were usually integrated into the console as a receiver. Is this a stand-alone PP amp?

This one was integrated into a console. Rather odd configuration- the power supply is in a separate chassis, and the rest of the receiver is in the main chassis. Only other section is an outboard MPX adapter... standard practice, that much is...

This one will probably sit on the back-burner for a while (at least until I get Tinkerbelle's SC amp and a few others done)... but it'll be a neat thing to build up, eventually...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I've seen that before in a CM - an integrated PP 6BQ5 amp/tuner with the separate tube rectified PS and MPX; that one had a pretty gold faceplate (horizontal layout too) with a tuning eye tube in the center.

Might also be worth trying Yahoo! Groups Vintage_Stereo_Console group?
 
Back
Top Bottom