• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me HH Scott LK 72

To add to this, I just finished swapping out the 4 cans with new from Hayseed Hamfest. The amp sounds superb now! No rumbles, pops when you touch the top of the front, dead quiet! I highly recommend these cans if you need to replace yours, which I strongly advise and wish I had done when I originally recapped the amp back in 2014 when I got it.
Cheers, Glenn
 
I have had the Chocolate/Brown face LK-72 for about 6 months now I would say. Completely redone, nuts to guts. Been playing it on Klipsch because of so many saying they are a nice pairing, and they are, but then...

I just acquired a pair of Altec 604b Hollywood's. For the love of jelly doughnuts. My journey has rounded out. I am now on to source and interconnects. I almost feel sad because I love the hunt so much. I am sure I will amp swap, and have... plenty already, but I came circling back the LK. There just does not seem to be a comparison to my ears. I know there is enough support here about this but I wanted to chime in on the Altec/Scott pairing.

It is a pure wonderment of sound. Here is a recording I did last night from my iPhone using the Altec's and the Scott. Technics SL-1301 TT using a Stanton 681 EEE-S II. Source is vinyl Vanessa Fernandez - I want you. Sorry so dark but will also include some pics besides the video.


KP7FRLz.jpg


iePR84v.jpg


kq8BSEp.jpg
Just gorgeous and I'm sure it sounds fabulous! I need to track down the case for mine.
 
Just gorgeous and I'm sure it sounds fabulous! I need to track down the case for mine.
Thanks man... I am in constant awe of tube amps. I just acquired an SA-100 Fisher and it is knee dropping on the Altec's. I have a line on a Fisher 400CX2 pre and should have it by February.

...but the Scott is just so smooth. So butter. I got lucky on having a case with mine when I got it.
 
Thanks man... I am in constant awe of tube amps. I just acquired an SA-100 Fisher and it is knee dropping on the Altec's. I have a line on a Fisher 400CX2 pre and should have it by February.

...but the Scott is just so smooth. So butter. I got lucky on having a case with mine when I got it.
I love seeing all the tubes glowing, but the case finishes it, so classy!
The Fishers are very good, but I have to say, I think the Scott sounds just a bit better, more dimensional, not restricted sounding.
 
Last edited:
Thanks man... I am in constant awe of tube amps. I just acquired an SA-100 Fisher and it is knee dropping on the Altec's. I have a line on a Fisher 400CX2 pre and should have it by February.

...but the Scott is just so smooth. So butter. I got lucky on having a case with mine when I got it.
Saw you list a Fisher (400cx),
What is the difference between a 400c and a 400 Cx?
I asked on the Fisher forum but no response
Thanks
Bobhorn
 
Saw you list a Fisher (400cx),
What is the difference between a 400c and a 400 Cx?
I asked on the Fisher forum but no response
Thanks
Bobhorn

Bob, the C and CX are similar preamps, but not the same. I believe the CX also came later on the Fisher timeline than the "C", and there was even a CX2 variant. Anyway, the CX uses a compliment of 5 12ax7s and 4 7247s which I believe are driver tubes in this setting (but I'm not an expert). By comparison, the "C" uses 4 12ax7s and a pair of 12at7s. Both units are tube rectified. Schematics are attached (I was able to pull them from a few resources, but I haven't independently verified they are what they claim to be, so use at your own risk), but that may not help a lot if you are looking for more conceptual understanding.
They're both reputed to be among the best tube preamps available. Certainly at a level where "better" becomes highly subjective.

I'm surprised no one chimed in on the Fisher page. Normally the folks there are fairly quick to lend help and info. If you want to go directly to someone who would know, you can try messaging dcgillespie. He's a great guy, knows a ton... he's forgotten more about Fisher gear (and tube amps in general) than most of us will ever know. I think he has memorized the circuits of every Fisher made prior to 1968, and most of them afterwards (I'm only slightly exaggerating here). It my take him a bit to reply, but if/when he does, you'll be hearing something akin to gospel.

Good luck!
 

Attachments

  • Fisher400CX.pdf
    Fisher400CX.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Fisher_400C_schem.gif
    Fisher_400C_schem.gif
    102.5 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom