• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New To Me Large Advents

tjefferson

it's hardly raining
So I picked up a set of Advents this weekend (score!) but I'm having trouble identifying them. I checked out the sticky thread that describes how to figure out which ones they are, but I still can't get. They don't have the orange fried egg tweeter, but do have the three way switch for the treble response in the back. Here are some pictures AK- can you help me out? Also, as a result, I can't figure what the recommended w.p.c. is. Any clues?

Thanks,
Josh
 

Attachments

  • Advent Rear  043.jpg
    Advent Rear 043.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Advent Front  044.jpg
    Advent Front 044.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 145
Register to hide this ad
I think you have an original Large Advent with perhaps a replaced tweeter. :scratch2:

As far as WPC.......mininum of 15-20 and would be best with a receiver or amp with 45-100 WPC.

As with any speaker and no matter what amp.....just don't drive the amp to the point of clipping......and you will be fine.

Enjoy
 
The green tweeters were usually used in the Smaller Advent, however I'm not positive about that. I believe that the Smaller tweeter had a smaller magnet to match the lower efficiency woofer. Measure the magnet OD, post it and I'll see if I can confirm one way or another. Replacements from ebay would be suggested if this theory is correct.

Woofer dust caps do look odd, they were replaced during a refoam.
That is the correct early masonite type woofer.

Pete B.

One of my pages:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html
 
Large Advents with Smaller Advent parts, and a replaced dust cap? That woofer looks too small to me...

Its all proportions, they are the correct size.
Plus you would need a larger dustcap to replace the smaller Advent "spitball" dustcap.
 
I have to admit, I'm not sure what you mean by OD. Overdrive, perhaps? And how do I measure that? I'm still very new to the scene.

Thanks for the help, though. The debate here makes me feel a bit less useless.

J
 
Hi,

Woofer appears correct. Tweeter appears to be a late factory replacement from Advent. Looks like a black tweeter to me. I think your pair are Large Advent utility cabinets. The black tweeters were the last factory replacements for Large Advents. Your pair is the same era as mine. My tweeters have a 1974 date on them. To the best of my knowledge, my tweeters are factory original. My woofers have been resurrounded.
 
Hi,

Woofer appears correct. Tweeter appears to be a late factory replacement from Advent. Looks like a black tweeter to m

Ah, I wasn't aware of black "factory replacements", thought it was green with poor color quality in the picture. So it might be just fine.

Yes OD = outside dimensions.

Pete B.
 
i'm not an expert but from your pics you have a pair of early large advents that came with the green fried egg tweeters. the early large advents had that beveled edge on the cabinets or utility cabinets. the later large ones had a bullnosed edge or utility cabinets. it does look like the have been refoamed and the dust caps replaced. i do not think the large advents had a "spitball" dustcap only the smaller advents but like i said i'm not an expert on this. hers a pic of my large ones(the dust cap is smooth to the feel and not bumpy like the "spitball" type)
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1561.jpg
    DSCN1561.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the help. The outside diameter of the tweeters is 2". Also, the tweeters ARE green. I hadn't noticed until I examined them closer. They are a dark green, but green to be sure.

So I'm using a Denon AVR-588 A/V receiver with them that claims a 75 w.p.c. I'm waiting for a Kenwood KA-3500 amp to get back to me, which runs at 40 w.p.c. Obviously, I'll figure out which one sounds better to me, but I don't want to hurt these speakers in the process, as I've read several different opinions on what to run these speakers at. I don't hear anything wrong with the speakers at a moderate to loud level so far, so I think I'm ok.

The woman who I bought these from said she bought them in the early 70's, and she's either a great liar or was telling the truth. She didn't mention anything about replacing anything (although I'd agree about the refoaming- they look great) other than the grille cloth, which her cat ripped back in the 80's, so she used a very horribly ugly 80's pillowcase (i think) to replace the grilles. As a result, I think the tweeters may be stock, which appears to be a possibility.
 
Hi,

Thanks for replying back about the tweeters. The tweeters date these as 1970-1972 era. The orange tweeters are later. Yours are original Large Advents indeed. The original 1968-1970 models had a metal crossover name plate where the tweeter position switch is mounted. Yours are the next generation model with the original green tweeters. Nice find. My pair are the next model after from 1974. Your original owner is telling the truth. Nice score. Now all you need is correct grille cloth to complete them. They're in nice shape.
 
Hey, thanks a lot. Like everyone else, I like to know what I can about my gear, and considering I only paid $60 for these guys, I'm feeling pretty good.

I was going to post a picture of the grille cloth, but decided to spare everyone the pain of seeing advents covered in such a thing.
 
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the help. The outside diameter of the tweeters is 2". Also, the tweeters ARE green. I hadn't noticed until I examined them closer. They are a dark green, but green to be sure.

So I'm using a Denon AVR-588 A/V receiver with them that claims a 75 w.p.c. I'm waiting for a Kenwood KA-3500 amp to get back to me, which runs at 40 w.p.c. Obviously, I'll figure out which one sounds better to me, but I don't want to hurt these speakers in the process, as I've read several different opinions on what to run these speakers at. I don't hear anything wrong with the speakers at a moderate to loud level so far, so I think I'm ok.

The woman who I bought these from said she bought them in the early 70's, and she's either a great liar or was telling the truth. She didn't mention anything about replacing anything (although I'd agree about the refoaming- they look great) other than the grille cloth, which her cat ripped back in the 80's, so she used a very horribly ugly 80's pillowcase (i think) to replace the grilles. As a result, I think the tweeters may be stock, which appears to be a possibility.

Hi, by OD I was looking for the magnet size not the cone, you'd have to remove the driver to measure of course.

There were very early versions of the Large Advent with differences in the tweeter. The earliest had no metal grille, the lead in wires were in back and did not show, and the cone/dome was natural grey paper. The grille was added for protection, the lead in wires were brought to the front and tinsel type wire was used for robustness. It was found during production that there was a variation from tweeter to tweeter and they reasoned that this was caused by air leaks in the paper. Kloss suggested red bulb dye (from his projection TV work) to seal the paper which lead to the bright red/orangish color. The Large Advents shown here are very early, no tweeter grille, lead in wires do not show, but they do have the bulb dye. Also note the Putnam Avenue address on the back:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

Use of bulb dye was discusses in these emails with Andy Kotsatos who worked with Henry Kloss on the design:
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2853&hl=kotsatos

Pete B.
 
Thanks Pete B. for the links. Very interesting reading.

I have a pair of 5002s and nice to get more information. The link with the Andy emails was very impressive especially about clarifying the Boston A150s history and their reference testing.
 
Well, shoot. Sorry about the measurement. I definitely measured the cone. Like I said, I'm slowly learning. I'll have to get back to you on the magnet size, I can't do it right now, unfortunately.

Either way, thanks for all the information here. These speakers sound great no matter what generation or Frankenstein version they are, so I'm managing to enjoy them anyway. :music:
 
WRT to the green tweeters...

I've come to the conclusion that the orange diaphragm typical of the Advent and the green diaphragm typical of the Smaller are interchangeable. And, as I've seen documented, there are examples of Advent tweeters with green "cones" and of Smaller tweeters with orange "cones". I suspect that Advent may have used whatever they had on hand if ever they ran out of one color or the other. Course, OTOH, I could be full of ****.

Measure the tweeter magnet. The Advent tweeter magnet is 3-1/2" square (IIRC) and the Smaller is 3" square (again, IIRC).
 
I concur that these are original Large Advents with the green fried egg tweeter. An early version, but not the earliest. The earliest version had no metal mesh grill on the tweeter. I have 2 pairs with the orange tweet. I'm driving them with 240 wpc. I drove them with 70 wpc for many years, but they come alive with more power. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom