• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me restored Bell 2420...what speaks to use?

metalmando

Active Member
I am getting a restored 1961 Bell 2420...17wpc push/pull. My on-hand speaker choices are:

Dynaco A25
Rectilinear XI
<g> Pioneer HPM-100

Should I take my EQ (Pioneer) out of the chain?

Any suggestions/comments?

Roscoe Morgan, Jr.
www.5ivespeed.com
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks???

I am not so knowledgeable when it comes to tube gear, and believe it or not, I merely entertain myself with this pursuit. I was only looking for opinions...sorry I bothered you, sir!
Back to the speaker forum I go, tail tucked between my legs. Good day to you.
 
I am not so knowledgeable when it comes to tube gear, and believe it or not, I merely entertain myself with this pursuit. I was only looking for opinions...sorry I bothered you, sir!
Back to the speaker forum I go, tail tucked between my legs. Good day to you.

i did not mean to sound like I came down hard for asking us that! NOT AT ALL!

What I mean is that audio is an individual thing, and one person's tastes are probably not anothers, and both can still get the same amount of enjoyment out of their respective systems.

Play it by ear. :yes:
 
Sorry!

Sorry for misunderstanding! My question has more to do with compatibility and efficiency. My SX-1010 will obviously power anything. I wondered if the aforementioned Dynacos or Rectilinears could be happy with 17 watts. I already like their sound. I was joking about the HPM-100s.

Again, I apologize for misunderstanding.

Roscoe Morgan, Jr.
www.5ivespeed.com
 
Sorry for misunderstanding! My question has more to do with compatibility and efficiency. My SX-1010 will obviously power anything. I wondered if the aforementioned Dynacos or Rectilinears could be happy with 17 watts. I already like their sound. I was joking about the HPM-100s.

Again, I apologize for misunderstanding.

Roscoe Morgan, Jr.
www.5ivespeed.com

Hooking them up and listening is the only way to go in my opinion.
 
In regards to the EQ, what curve do you use on it? Can you live without it?

I prefer to run mine out of the chain, but sometimes it helps with badly recorded material...
 
EQ negotiable...

Yes, VinylDavid, I can live without the EQ. I had a Bell Stereophonic 3030 (12 WPC) for awhile and really loved the sound sans EQ. However, all I had at the time to go with it was Large Advents. Bass dropped out, so I sold the amp, and now I want back in<g>.
I'm hoping the 2420 will have that extra little kick to drive the right small pair of bookshelves.
 
Yes, VinylDavid, I can live without the EQ. I had a Bell Stereophonic 3030 (12 WPC) for awhile and really loved the sound sans EQ. However, all I had at the time to go with it was Large Advents. Bass dropped out, so I sold the amp, and now I want back in<g>.
I'm hoping the 2420 will have that extra little kick to drive the right small pair of bookshelves.

I'd remove the EQ from the system....
 
the dynaco's might be a good match, I am pushing some 100db three way sansui's with a bell 2418 amp and it sounds good, won't get stupid loud but I don't need that from this system, I have an other system for partys setting on the side lines. But do try all your speakers on it and make your choice to the speakers that sound the best with it, that is only the true way to do it. Oh and picture are nice too.
 
I am getting a restored 1961 Bell 2420...17wpc push/pull. My on-hand speaker choices are:

Dynaco A25
Rectilinear XI

Any suggestions/comments?

hi,
both are fine speakers, but your bell tube amp might have easier time pushing the dynaco's. they will give you a lot more dynamics and wider range. recommended wattage for the A25 is about 20wpc.

rectilinears are not the most efficient speakers. they will probably require well over 30-50wpc to show you what they're all about. i have no experience with the XI model, but heard some of their earlier models and they're definitely good examples of eastcoast sound - which i really like. if it was for me, and i had little more wattage, specially tube, i'd prefer the rectilinears - even though i really regard the A25's as one of the overall best vintage speakers out there.
 
I've heard the Dynaco's on low power and they do just fine. May not do earsplitting volume on heavy metal but then for heavy metal you really want lots of watts. I have not heard the Rectilinears on something of this power. Please let us know how they sound for you on this amp. Also post pics of the amp when you get it.

:worthless
(I love using that one:stupid:).
 
Update

I received my Bell 2420. It gives the room a neat smell, but that's about it. It doesn't seem to work properly, though the E#$% seller represented it as a ready piece of gear. I'm not angry, just wondering.
I had a Bell 3030, 12 wpc instead of 17. It played Large Advents loud enough for my enjoyment. So, I thought the extra 5 wpc would be a serious upgrade, and enough. This thing seems to have no bass..the 3030 did, it just seemed to "tire out" easy.
Again, I have Rectilinear XI, Dynaco A25, Pioneer HPM-100 and Fisher XP-7 as the speaker candidates. Not the best choices, but the 12 wpc through Large Advents sounded great to me.
I'm not a repair guy, just a mildly disappointed fan of tube audio. So, hopefully I'll figure this out and avoid the "Mexican stand-off" of the negative feedback E#$% game. No racism implied...I just love that saying.

Roscoe Morgan, Jr.
 
Back
Top Bottom