• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me, super clean, Mercury Sable

bully

member
I wrecked my car last week, and today I am picking up a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium. This car is so clean you could eat off the engine. Lady-owned and driven, 70,000 miles. Highway miles, at that.
Gonna meet the Enterprise rental guy at noon for a ride back to pickuup the new car.
Oh, yeah, silver with leather and the 3.0 DOHV engine (the "Duratec").
It is an "old guy car" for this old guy. I'm finished with sporty cars. Especially ones with too-narrow spacing between the brake and acceleration pedals! Tough for 13D feet--the Mazda's were too close, and I hit both and wouldn't stop fast. Doh.
 
Register to hide this ad
I know what you mean about Mazdas. My MX-6 had 3 peddels and I wear size 12 shoes. They're are the best cars you can buy though.

god damn it was fast!
 
Last edited:
Yeah, the Millenia S was a nice car. It was a bummer to lose it.
Just got home with the new Sable. I'm pretty tickled, in a sad way, to get it.
Like I said, it was lady-driven, mostly highway miles, and only 70,300 for a 2000 model.
 
Er, Bully- daytime driver only?

Just kidding- hope the car lasts you for a good long while :thmbsp:
 
Congrats on your new ride Pete!

Tough for 13D feet--the Mazda's were too close, and I hit both and wouldn't stop fast. Doh.
I have been 13EEE since the eighth grade, I know how it is.


Carl
 
bully said:
This car is so clean you could eat off the engine. Lady-owned and driven, 70,000 miles.

My Wife's car is "Lady-Owned", and you could eat off her interior. At any time you could find french fries, Bread crumbs, and many other food items! I hope she doesn't read this.... Haha!

Glad to hear you've found your replacement car, that you're happy with Pete. Get some pictures in here soon, so we can see that beaut!

Good luck,

Ron
 
Last edited:
Duratec is a SWEET engine!
Designed by Porsche and then all the production tooling was done by Cosworth. Last a LONG time and no serious issues, although there has been talk about some bottom end problems. Nothing as common as the 3.8's and the head gaskets. Can be tuned for a decent amount of power too. You have to put an open element intake on it. The roar they make as they pass 4000 and the secondaries open will take your breath away! :)
 
I owned an 99 SVT Contour from 99 until 04. It had a 200hp Duratec motor that was a screamer. . . Many of times I drove her at speeds of 130 plus for hours at a time. I used to think of it as a poor mans BMW. Although it wern't cheap. . . Good mileage, gret power, very smooth very high winding little motor that I loved the sound that she made when you got on the pipe. . .

I wanted a Tuarus or Sable but couldn't get the deal I wanted. . .

The Duratec engine is Ford's version of Yamaha's SHO motor in the SHO Taurus. . . Still a great motor (engine). . .
 
Last edited:
bully said:
I wrecked my car last week, and today I am picking up a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium. This car is so clean you could eat off the engine. Lady-owned and driven, 70,000 miles. Highway miles, at that.
Gonna meet the Enterprise rental guy at noon for a ride back to pickuup the new car.
Oh, yeah, silver with leather and the 3.0 DOHV engine (the "Duratec").
It is an "old guy car" for this old guy. I'm finished with sporty cars. Especially ones with too-narrow spacing between the brake and acceleration pedals! Tough for 13D feet--the Mazda's were too close, and I hit both and wouldn't stop fast. Doh.

My wife had a Merc' Disable company car for several years. Nice driver but always had nagging issues. We did like well enough that we bought a Ford Tortoise wagon. It launched the transaxle at 66K however so my Ford experience is somewhat tainted.

Loved the Duratec motors though. Both cars had the 3.0L and they got great mileage for the size and as were as smooth as my Audi. Like any car, there are good ones & bad ones. If you got a good one, you'll be fine.

One other point. Our Sable was dark metallic gray. You would lliterally blend into invisibility in it. We called it our USV, urban stealth vehicle.
 
gyusher said:
The Duratec engine is Ford's version of Yamaha's SHO motor in the SHO Taurus. . . Still a great motor (engine). . .

I don't think the Duratec suffers from $2K valve jobs however as the Yammy does.

:thumbsdn:
 
Glad you got something you like.

My bro-in-law has owned a Sable for a couple of years, very comfortable with more than adaquite power, and has had very little trouble with it.

I too have the foot problem. Even on big cars sometimes the tip of the shoe catches things.

Pete
 
Back
Top Bottom