• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me SX-1250, parts question

mmsean

New Member

Well I've been looking for a SX-1250 for quite some time and finally made peace that I should hunt down a SX-1050 as the prices were too high. However about a week ago I saw an add for a SX-1250 and went and looked at it and gave an offer and he accepted. So now I'm a proud owner.

The unit is in really good shape minus some minor surface scratches on the top silver plate and it does work however I know I'll need to get it in tip top condition with a service and recap. I did order some led wedge lights from Dgwojo and when I went to place them I noticed that part of the lamp assembly where the "stereo" light looks like it's a bit melted and deformed.

As I'm a bit OCD I've been looking and I have identified the part to be a Rubber Bracket B from the schematic but wondered, is this a part that is universal other units? To help widen my search at least. I also put a Bartertown WTB to see if I can get a new one.

Suggestions?

 
Register to hide this ad
Hi
It would probably be the same part on the higher end sx-x50 models that use 3 speakers such as 950,1050, not sure about the 850. You can verify by looking at the service manuals for each model
I hope you enjoy your 1250
 
Wondering if can heat it up evenly with a heat gun and get it to reform it's shape as it cools. Maybe block it somehow to keep it square as it cools. That is if it is not actually melted in places.
 
sadly these suffer from heat badly and were originally white but most of them are very yellow nowadays and the ones that have been used regularly are somewhat burnt from the heat of the incandescent lamps. This is the only place where LEDs have an advantage.
 
Well I ended up finding an entire 950 dial scale with both entact pieces of the rubber bracket, so I ordered it for a replacement. One guy in the Dominican Republic wanted 180 bucks just for the rubber bracket B and I got this from Minnesota with the face and both for $40 shipped.
 
Yeah, I've seen his listings on eBay..the one in the Dominican Republic..he's asking ridiculously high prices on his stuff! I mean, I can kinda understand a volume potentiometer for a 1250 or a 1980 bringing a hefty price as those are very rare to come across but his prices on his stuff? Waaay high! But hey...he's got every right to ask!
 
I’ve seen the speaker/stereo rubber housing rock hard and looking like a meteor to others, like the day it came from the factory.
The LEDs work well on the housings that load from the bottom, like the sx-1250. The actual emitter is pointing into the top cavity and indirectly illuminating the lens. Unlike the 1980’s where the lamp is loaded from the back and the full emitter is blazing through the lens. That to me is overwhelming. There are a few tricks to tone it down but they only help slightly.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom