• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to Turntables and Vinyl looking to buy a turntable and amplifier

kyallen21

New Member
Hi everyone! New member here.

I am looking to upgrade from a terrible turntable/cassette/CD stereo system combo to my first legitimate setup. I currently have PSB B5 bookshelf speakers. I'm looking for a decent turntable and amplifier I can get.

Looking to spend roughly max $300-400 for turntable and the same for amplifier if need be.

Not against used either, if looking on craigslist or kijiji for a good deal, I'm in the Greater Toronto Area.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Check out the Emotiva line for the amplifier, and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for the turntable. Bang for buck, good products.
 
Although many here will not agree, a Technics direct drive, quarts lock, fully automatic is the way to go for a good reliable good sounding TT. Ideally you want a single to noise of -75 db or better and a wow and flutter at or below .03. The specs for most tables are on vinylengine site, but you do have to register to download manuals. Belt drives may have a shade better sound, but belts are a pain to maintain, and prices on the better tables can cost $25 including shipping. And then you pray it gives you the right speed, and drive.
 
Hi everyone! New member here.

I am looking to upgrade from a terrible turntable/cassette/CD stereo system combo to my first legitimate setup. I currently have PSB B5 bookshelf speakers. I'm looking for a decent turntable and amplifier I can get.

Looking to spend roughly max $300-400 for turntable and the same for amplifier if need be.

Not against used either, if looking on craigslist or kijiji for a good deal, I'm in the Greater Toronto Area.

Thanks!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Have a look at the Canuck audio mart, turn table for sale section. :biggrin:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/68-turntables/
 
Yup lots on Canuckaudiomart.com. In the range of your turntable budget in southern Ontario area I see a Rega Planar 2, NAD C556, a Technics SL-1401, Pioneer PL-518, Thorens TD-165, Rega P1, etc.

Of course there is our own Bartertown. Become a subscriber and there is a Bartertown North (i.e. Canada) section ... it's fairly quiet though.

Djcoolray, the OP has PSB Image B5 speakers.
 
I found a Rotel RA1062 Integrated Amplifier nearby that's very affordable. Would that be acceptable for an amplifier?

Thanks for the help everyone!
 
The Rotel RA 1062 is a decent amp. When introduced, it retailed about $700 US. If the price is right, it will be a nice entry amp. One thing to note; make sure the remote comes with it and is functioning. It is needed to power up the amp.
 
Literally just went to check it out and it was sold as I arrived. No go with that amp. I'll have to take a look around for others.
 
Hi,

The Rotel is way above entry level and a very good amplifier. It will drive far
better speakers than your PSB bookshelves to very good effect. A good
long term buy (at the right price), but not really necessary at the moment.

My favourite used budget amplifier is the Pioneer A-300X.
I found one for £50 delivered, utter bargain at that price.
Great sound and superb build quality for the price.

Turntable : Used AR EB101 would be my choice.
Cartridge : LPGear AT95VL is a $100 shoe-in.

I don't disagree with those that suggest a used Technics,
different kettle of fish.The best choices are the ones with
the so called "double isolation" feature, like the SL1600.

rgds, sreten.

Don't forget CD. You can get great CD players used for
barely more than mundane rubbish if you know what
models to look for, e.g. I got a Marantz SE for £30.
 
There's a Rotel RA-714 Amplifier and a Rotel RP-1001 turntable with a Pickering V15 cartridge (incorrectly listed as a Shure) for sale in Mississauga, listed-up on CAM for best offer. I don't know much about this vintage of Rotel, but they look pretty nice. I'd actually be surprised if they are still available .... ad has been up for almost a month.

On kijiji there's an ad for a 20% off sale at a record / used equipment store in Acton .... this Saturday only. Might find something there!

Couple other turntables that kinda caught my eye on kijiji (GTA) ....
Yamaha YP-450.
Sony PS-X6 (re-capped)
Technics SL-1300
Technics SL-1700 Mk2
etc
 
Welcome! Lots of great advice here.

Let me give you a bit more - join as a member for 25 bucks, and then place a WTB in Bartertown.

You'll have the pick of so much stuff that will far exceed what you will find locally (probably....the scores are hard to come by these days).

Good luck.
 
Hi,

The Marantz is a good buy, and futureproof, as it has a built in quality
DAC, as well as the requisite phono stage required for a turntable.

rgds, sreten.
 
Back
Top Bottom