• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

New Toys: Polk SDA SRS 2

Hooby

New Member
Saw this pair of SDA SRS 2's pop up on CL last week and just had to have them. I currently own Polk Monitor 7's, RTA 12B's, and now these! Have been wanting a pair from their SDA series to sort of complete my collection, I just think these vintage polks are awesome! Picked them up for $450 and only had to drive about 15 minutes to grab them so I think I got a pretty decent deal out of it!
First impressions are BIG SOUNDSTAGE... and the SDA affect allows me to hear the music just a little different from my other sets of speakers. I'm really enjoying them and liking the SDA affect. Down the road I see myself doing a recap but for now I'll enjoy them stock.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20131215_210650.jpg
    20131215_210650.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 172
Register to hide this ad
Yea I have them hooked to my Technics SA-600 right now. I hear people talk about powering these things with crazy amount of watts but I don't have anything like that yet. Eventually I'll have these hooked up to my Sansui AU-7900 but I need to fix that first. These have a high efficiency rating so I think my Technics does a pretty good job for them. Would like to compare with a Carver amp or something since many people love those.
 
You have a nice selection of some of the best Polks out there. The 7's are great speakers. The 12B's are some of the most bestest speakers I think Polk made, and now the SDA's.
You must be doing something right. Once you get the placement down you will have a really nice soundstage being presented.
Congrats and enjoy them.
 
I'm moving soon so for now I'm limited by the room size. The place I'm moving to has a decent sized basement which is where I'll be setting these things up, so I'll be sure to try spreading them out much further.
And yes I feel very fortunate to run into these three sets of Polks, I seem to have very good luck with craigslist finds! :banana: I think o!wning a pair of speakers from each line (Monitor, RTA, and SDA) is very cool and allows me to experience the differences in them rather than just read about them... I feel very lucky!
Down the road I may try to find some serious power for these, but for now this is all I have and I'll be sure to enjoy them!
 
Make sure to epoxy magnets on the mid woofers as the glue is already dry and can shift magnets.
Capacitor upgrade is the 2nd thing.
Many don't like the silver dome SL2000 tweeters and recommend upgrading them to RDO-194 or 198 but I never felt them too harsh.

They need more room otherwise tend to sound crowded.
 
Did they come with the interconnect? If not, you'll need one. Great speakers, I've got the original SRS's. 3' off the side walls, 6' between, up against the back wall is(are) a target dimension for them. Find some power for them, bi-amp if possible. They shut-down my SX1980, and it's no slouch. Hooked up to 2 Parasounds now, though. Enjoy!
 
SDAs are fairly efficient and can be run on medium/low power amps, but be careful. If you get over zealous those tweeters are toast. Right now I'm running my 1Bs on a 6-8 watt tube amp. It won't rattle windows like my Denon, but has a smooth fluid sound that is very addictive,
 
Thanks for the pointers everybody, I'll definitely look into more power down the line and hopefully in my new space I'll be able to space these things out more.
Yes they did come with the interconnect cable so I'm good there. These are 50" tall and weigh 135 lbs.. so not the largest polk speaker but pretty darn close haha. My RTA 12B's look tiny now haha. Played Abby Road on the TT the other day and wow did they sound great! :music:
 
Glad you got the i.c. cable. The big boys (like mine) are over 5' tall, 182#'s each. My wife about s..t when she saw them.
 
Yeah I've seen pictures of those big boys, they look like a giant science project haha, very impressive I'm sure! Would love to hear and compare a pair in the flesh someday.
 
Go onto the Polk forum, and look up mods for these. There are some simple things that can be done, that take performance up a big notch. Primarily, applying damping material to the woofer (and passive) frames, and sealing the drivers into the cabinets. Tightens up the bass quite a bit when the cabinets are not leaky.

Congratulations!
 
Back
Top Bottom