• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New tubes or pre amp?

Tyguy1

New Member
I’m looking to make some small changes to my current system. Fluance rt 85, boyuurange mt34 mk2, cheap rolls pre amp (60$), klipsch kg 4. I’m pretty happy with the amp, tt and the speakers but I’d love a little more clarity. I have 2-250 bucks burning a hole in my pocket should I upgrade my pre amp or get different tubes? Maybe something else or maybe it’s not even possible. Any advice would you be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm assuming you're running the Ortofon Blue cart? That should be giving you a decent amount of clarity. I agree with E-Stat...replace the preamp. In that price range I'd be looking at offers from iFi, Pro-Ject, Cambridge Audio. But, personally, I'd wait and save up a bit more to get into the $500-$750 range... Lehmann, Graham Slee, Vincent, Rothwell, etc. Then you'll really start to hear a difference.
 
I'm assuming you're running the Ortofon Blue cart? That should be giving you a decent amount of clarity. I agree with E-Stat...replace the preamp. In that price range I'd be looking at offers from iFi, Pro-Ject, Cambridge Audio. But, personally, I'd wait and save up a bit more to get into the $500-$750 range... Lehmann, Graham Slee, Vincent, Rothwell, etc. Then you'll really start to hear a difference.
It is the 2mblue, and maybe clarity isn’t quite the right word, I just know things could be better. I have been looking at some Vincent. Audio advisor has some deals on some demos that are interesting.
 
It is the 2mblue, and maybe clarity isn’t quite the right word, I just know things could be better. I have been looking at some Vincent. Audio advisor has some deals on some demos that are interesting.
I found the Vincent PHO-701 to be an excellent pre, delivering detailed separation of instruments but with some warmth. It's not a true tube pre amp, they just use a single tube as a buffer. But it does the trick perfectly. Plus it has a ton of load options with DIP switches on the bottom.
 
+1 on a new phono preamp.
I've also got a PHO-701, as well as several others, all of which have been improvements over less expensive units I had before.
Also assuming the stylus is in good condition.
 
+1 on a new phono preamp.
I've also got a PHO-701, as well as several others, all of which have been improvements over less expensive units I had before.
Also assuming the stylus is in good condition.
I assume the stylus is fine. it might just now be about a half a year old.
 
I found the Vincent PHO-701 to be an excellent pre, delivering detailed separation of instruments but with some warmth. It's not a true tube pre amp, they just use a single tube as a buffer. But it does the trick perfectly. Plus it has a ton of load options with DIP switches on the bottom.
I
I found the Vincent PHO-701 to be an excellent pre, delivering detailed separation of instruments but with some warmth. It's not a true tube pre amp, they just use a single tube as a buffer. But it does the trick perfectly. Plus it has a ton of load options with DIP switches on the bottom.
unfortunately, the 701 is out of my budget. I’m a dad of three young kids and although my wife is very understanding, I don’t think it’d fly. Hopefully the 300 is pretty good too, or maybe I can find something on eBay.
 
I’m looking to make some small changes to my current system. . . . I have 2-250 bucks burning a hole in my pocket should I upgrade my pre amp or get different tubes?
I'm not into vinyl but I've heard good reports about the EAR 834 clone phono preamps. I know that @StepheK has built and sold a few of the kit versions and has several videos about the process and results on her YT channel.


If you're not up for a kit build they are also available in finished form and are in your price range.
 
Back
Top Bottom