• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Turntable help....

Tyndaris

New Member
Hi,

I currently have a Kenwood KD-1033 w/Stanton D71EE and i'm looking to upgrade and could use some help :)
Budget is <100.00
I mostly listen to Jazz, Blues and Classic Rock.


Turntables i'm looking at are:

Technics SL-D2 w/Ortofon cartridge

Technics SL-QD33 (Cartridge unknown)

Technics SL-220 w/Pioneer cartridge

BSR McDonald 4800BX (new in box w/factory tags)

Thanks in advance,
Larry
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The Kenwood KD-1033 is a decent entry-level table from the early 70s that should still be a perfectly good performer. Of the tables you mentioned, the only one that might be better than your Kenwood is the Technics SL-D2. If you want a real improvement, budget around $350 ($200 for a nicer vintage direct drive, plus $150 for a cartridge. This might land you a Technics SL-1800 or Denon DP-47 with an Audio-Technica AT440MLa or Denon DL-110 cartridge)

On your budget, I think the best move would be to put a new belt and stylus on your Kenwood, if it's in okay condition.

You can get the belt here: http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=KWDKD1033

The stylus is available here: http://www.needledoctor.com/Stanton-D71EE-Stylus?sc=2&category=76
 
Thanks for the advice....it sounds like I should keep the Kenwood and save up for the Technics.

The kenwood is in great shape...I just put a new belt and stylus on it....
I quess i'm hooked :)
 
That table properly set-up can really perform. The other tables mentioned are essentially just different and you do not know about any overlooked potential problems. You already have something that plays and consider investing in what you have.
A good replacement stylus for your Stanton cartridge on turntableneedles.com, 827-D2E, $45.95. A .3 x .7 elliptical.
A new belt $17.95. If you don't know it's history, buy one.
Do you have decent record/stylus cleaning supplies ? An important part of quality playback.
 
wow....I didn't know...thanks...

I'll check out turntableneedles.com for a better stylus....the new one I just put on is a "PFANSTIEHL 4826-DE "....replacement for d70e that was on it. Would the 827-D2E be better?

I just installed a new belt from Needleguy.com.

What can you recommend for record/stylus cleaning supplies?

Thanks alot for the advice....
 
Your current cartridge will do fine, a hair larger tip design than I mentioned. Neither are going to take you to another level. If you were to upgrade, look for a cartridge with a higher output, unless your using a separate phonostage and purchase according to specs. A $100 cartridge is going to sound better, but it's addressing the system as a whole and replacing the weakest link in the chain will have the most impact. Free things you can do is make sure the table (suspension) is level and print out a alignment protractor and speed strobe from the vinyl engine. Cleaning supplies is more of a personal thing and how involved you want to get. I tend to be critical about clean records. But, there are inexpensive choices out there.
Other thoughts would be new headshell leads. They are exposed to the elements and can degrade. I'll assume the RCA jacks are probably substandard. The cable/wire inbetween these two items is better protected.
The reason I posted here was that I met a guy (used record dealer) indirectly that had the same table (different badge) and it flat out played, more like soared. So it can be done, but this guy had some skill. He had a well matched budget outboard phonostage and cartridge.
I took another route and went through countless low dollar TT's and every one had one thing wrong with it, very frustrating, but learned a lot along the way. I spent a good chunk of $ as well.
 
Sounds like if I put a little time in the Kenwood.....it can "Soar".....
I like a challenge :)

thanks alot for the advice and help
 
Back
Top Bottom