• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Turntable: Trying to Decide - Please advise?

Fashionboy

New Member
Hi all. Really could use your advice.

I'm ready to start putting a great system together and need to start with a decent turntable. I am willing to spend $1500-2000, but if I could spend less would be great.

Tables considering:

1. Clearaudio Emotion w/ CMB, direct wire tonearm, Virtuoso cart (less than 10 hrs on cart) - demo $1799

2. VPI Scout - used, $1100.00 (no cart, need to add cart)

3. Rega P25 or Planar 3 - used, not sure of price/cart

4. Marantz TT15 w/ Virtuoso cart - $1499

5. Clearaudio Performance w/ Maestro cart (50 hours approx) used - $2399 (may be able to negotiate here)


I have heard so many mixed opinions about the Emotion and Scout. Listening to #1 it sounded very bright but not sure if that was as a result of the phono stage or the cart not being burned in yet. Seems to be a good price considering CMB but not sure how much of an impact that has to the sound?

Have not been able to audition the others. Don't particularly like the idea of the unipivot on the Scout, so that is low on the list as a result.

Thanks for your help in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Clearaudio Emotion has been the best addition to my system in years. I run it paired with a LOMC Benz Micro Ace cart and feel extremely satisfied with its sound (phono stage is a Clearaudio Nano). The Satisfy tonearm is a great one. In my setup the sound is natural, very neutral and clear, no brightness whatsoever (which I hate!). The CA Performance is even better.
 
The Scout or the CA Performance are the only logical choices. The platters are too thin on the other models.

I would avoid Rega decks. While they have very nice tone-arms, the build quality of the tables are lacking (cheap materials in most cases).

My opinion.
 
One example that would lead me to disagree with the assertion that the Rega decks use cheap materials would be the Scout mentioned above. The Scout's deck is a block of painted MDF, isn't it?
 
The platter on the Marantz TTs1 is by no means thin. Its pretty hefty and nearly an inch and a half thick.
 
True on the VPI plinth, but it is reinforced with a thick steel plate beneath. The Marantz platter is about 1-1/8" or 28.5mm thick, good, but not as thick as the CA or the VPI.
 
Whether one agrees or disagrees with Rega's theories or results, they're trying to make them lightweight. The cost of the raw materials in all of these decks looks like pocket change to me.
 
The Clearaudios or the Marantz, which is manufactured by Clearaudio, would be my pick. I'm not familiar with the VPI Scout.

The Performance is the pick, but, if you factor in aesthetics, the other two have it.
 
I have always loved the look of the Clearaudio tables, never could afford one. That said, go for the one that looks sturdiest and gives the most neutral performance.
 
... That said, go for the one that looks sturdiest and gives the most neutral performance.
Looking sturdy and being sturdy are two different things. Also, sturdiness may give the wrong impression when it comes to sound and longevity.

Rega decks don't give the impression of being sturdy, but they are good sounding turntables which last seeming forever. Not perhaps in the same league as the Cleauraudios, but good nevertheless.
 
Looking sturdy and being sturdy are two different things. Also, sturdiness may give the wrong impression when it comes to sound and longevity.

Rega decks don't give the impression of being sturdy, but they are good sounding turntables which last seeming forever. Not perhaps in the same league as the Cleauraudios, but good nevertheless.

Indeed Rega, and all the others are great sounding tables; Actually, in terms of sound quality, I think that table assemblies in this price range don't really matter that much. What does matter (to me anyway) is that the design uses aesthetically pleasing proportions, tasteful choice of materials and controls, and provide adequate stability. The table should also 'look' impressive, with a well-balanced stance, be large and unwieldy - tank-like. While some TT's produce amazing sound (like the Rega's), they look as though a light breeze would blow them off one's audio rack or platform. Anyway, that's just my personal preference when it comes to selecting a turntable.
 
in terms of sound quality, I think that table assemblies in this price range don't really matter that much.

I would have some doubts on this equivalence regarding the quality of the tonearms. I am very impressed by the Satisfy tonearm in the Clearaudio, and cannot say the same about the tonearms of some other TTs in the same price range that I auditioned before buying the Emotion.
 
If it were me, I'd go with the used Emotion and Maestro cartridge, that seems like the best deal.
 
I would have some doubts on this equivalence regarding the quality of the tonearms. I am very impressed by the Satisfy tonearm in the Clearaudio, and cannot say the same about the tonearms of some other TTs in the same price range that I auditioned before buying the Emotion.

Agreed - Table assembly to me, does not include the tone-arm - a whole different matter.
 
Don't particularly like the idea of the unipivot on the Scout, so that is low on the list as a result.

I have no hands-on experience with any of the models you're considering. However, I did design and build a DIY unpivot tonearm about six months ago. It's the first unipivot I've owned and it's exceptionally fine sounding. The music is very tight, focused, and highly detailed. So I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the Scout because of the tonearm design.
 
I have no hands-on experience with any of the models you're considering. However, I did design and build a DIY unpivot tonearm about six months ago. It's the first unipivot I've owned and it's exceptionally fine sounding. The music is very tight, focused, and highly detailed. So I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the Scout because of the tonearm design.

I was wondering about that too. I'd say a uni-pivot arm is superior to the conventional gimbal designs. The only disadvantage (if you want to label it as such), is the setup is more difficult and time consuming. But to me, that is part of the fun.
:)
 
Hi all. Really could use your advice.

I'm ready to start putting a great system together and need to start with a decent turntable. I am willing to spend $1500-2000, but if I could spend less would be great.

Tables considering:

1. Clearaudio Emotion w/ CMB, direct wire tonearm, Virtuoso cart (less than 10 hrs on cart) - demo $1799

2. VPI Scout - used, $1100.00 (no cart, need to add cart)

3. Rega P25 or Planar 3 - used, not sure of price/cart

4. Marantz TT15 w/ Virtuoso cart - $1499

5. Clearaudio Performance w/ Maestro cart (50 hours approx) used - $2399 (may be able to negotiate here)


I have heard so many mixed opinions about the Emotion and Scout. Listening to #1 it sounded very bright but not sure if that was as a result of the phono stage or the cart not being burned in yet. Seems to be a good price considering CMB but not sure how much of an impact that has to the sound?

Have not been able to audition the others. Don't particularly like the idea of the unipivot on the Scout, so that is low on the list as a result.

Thanks for your help in advance.



Hi! These are all excellent options and you won't go wrong with any of them. Do you have a dealer(s) nearby that carry these models to personally audition? If not, there are plenty of "karma-rades" who will give you helpful info based on their personal experience with any one of these tables. Let us know your choice and keep us posted on how you're enjoying it! To me, the Clearaudio with the Virtuoso sounds wonderful, and the price is very fair.
 
Thanks for all the advice so far, great points all around.

So leaning towards Clearaudio, will have to see if I could get the lightly used Performance package first.

Please keep the thoughts coming...

And another option I thought of - wait a while, save up another $1K+ and go for a VPI Classic. Good/bad idea?
 
Back
Top Bottom