• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New vs vintage SUT

poorsod

New Member
I am looking for an SUT to pair with an Ortofon SPU.

1) What do you think of vintage Ortofon T10/20/30 vs new Bobs Devices Sky, Auditorium 23, new Ortofon SUT? Did SUT tech change much in 30-40 years? Are new SUTs much better than vintage? The price difference between new and vintage can be substantial and I wonder if it is worth the $$$$.

2) Is there much risk for vintage SUT to be bust? I imagine it might take a bit of work to blow a vintage transformer unless there are more delicate parts in a SUT.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
It is just wire wrapped around a core. Need two windings per channel.

Technology might have improved a few things but many old transformers are very good. Luxman has a lot of silver wound units. Ortofon makes different price points as did other manufacturers. Ortofon still offers choices and their good units are probably excellent with the correct Ortofon cartridge.

Getting the right ratio is important. You might want to read Rothwell Audio's information page on SUTs to help you select the correct one for your application.
 
Last edited:
Some of the modern core materials with very high permeability weren't available 40 years ago, but apart from that, no, the technology hasn't changed much. Depending on exactly which SPU you have, I'd say you need a turns ratio between about 1:20 and 1:30. Ortofon seem to specify their SUTs in terms of dB gain rather than the turns ratio, so that would be between about 26dB and 30dB.
Old transformers don't wear out, so apart from complete failure due to physical damage (which is unlikely) you should be safe with an old transformer if that's the route you decide to take.
If you want new, unsurprisingly I'd recommend one of my own:
https://rothwellaudio.16.ekm.shop/mcl-120-mc-transformer-38-p.asp
1a8a3f8d9558e8ca419d41743db9fb19
 
Last edited:
I wanted to check what sut (vintage or new) would match a mono CG25 (1.5mv, 100o impedance)
might to a Cambridge Azur duo mm/mc with 3.35mv on the mm side.

Ortofon has a dedicated st-mc25 for it but it's too pricey. I wonder if a single 15095 at 1:5 might work. Tia
 
I wanted to check what sut (vintage or new) would match a mono CG25 (1.5mv, 100o impedance)
might to a Cambridge Azur duo mm/mc with 3.35mv on the mm side.

Ortofon has a dedicated st-mc25 for it but it's too pricey. I wonder if a single 15095 at 1:5 might work. Tia
I make a transformer for high output moving coils:
MC1Hs.JPG

https://rothwellaudio.16.ekm.shop/mc1-h-step-up-transformer-for-high-output-mc-cartridges-56-p.asp
It's a stereo transformer, not mono, but it will work.
Yes, the cartridge will work straight into an mm phonostage, but will sound a bit quiet.
 
Back
Top Bottom