• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Willsenton R8 - What Tubes to choose when purchasing?

NTShadowPT

New Member
Hi,

I am strongly considering purchasing a Willsenton R8, but as a newbie to the Tube Amps world I am overwhelmed by the choices available for both Power or Pre-Amp Tubes.

This is the Power Tube Selection:

1710565793836.png

And this is the Pre-Amp Tube Selection:
1710565857114.png

The differences in price are not negligible, but I would like to understand what differences should I expect for these before pulling the trigger.

Anyone has experience with it?

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had one of those and tried several different tubes. I thought I heard some improvements with KT90s over the stock KT88s but not much.

I'd recommend the Willsenton KT88s to start.

For the preamp signal tubes, JJs were a bit of improvement but again, subtle.

Don't bother with the third 6SN7 in the middle as it is just for voltage regulation.
 
I'd second watching @StepheK's youtube reviews of this amp before making a purchase. There were lots of build problems with the first version of these amps. The 2nd gen may be better, but watch the video to see if the problems were corrected. She says the Musishare X7 is a much better built Chinese amp.

 
Hi,

I am strongly considering purchasing a Willsenton R8, but as a newbie to the Tube Amps world I am overwhelmed by the choices available for both Power or Pre-Amp Tubes.

This is the Power Tube Selection:

View attachment 3148664

And this is the Pre-Amp Tube Selection:
View attachment 3148665

The differences in price are not negligible, but I would like to understand what differences should I expect for these before pulling the trigger.

Anyone has experience with it?

Thanks in advance.
Pass GO and head to ELEKIT and/or Sunvalley....

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/elekit.134/
 
So if I read you guys correctly, just go with the stock tubes and then at some point change them with "aftermarket" parts (tube rolling).

And, with this in mind... I should start with the KT88's and not the EL34's.

Got it.

I did watch Skunkie Design's video on the model, but I am not skilled enough to do these upgrades myself, so I'll just have to trust they've made some of the upgrades with the MKII (that is not officially an MKII :))
 
So if I read you guys correctly, just go with the stock tubes and then at some point change them with "aftermarket" parts (tube rolling).

And, with this in mind... I should start with the KT88's and not the EL34's.

Got it.

I did watch Skunkie Design's video on the model, but I am not skilled enough to do these upgrades myself, so I'll just have to trust they've made some of the upgrades with the MKII (that is not officially an MKII :))
I gotta say, if I were in the market for a tube amp I’d cross this model off the list after watching that video. There are a lot of problems with the way those amps were (are?) designed and built. There’s another thread on here about another amp from that company that would also make me hesitant to buy from them.
 
I gotta say, if I were in the market for a tube amp I’d cross this model off the list after watching that video. There are a lot of problems with the way those amps were (are?) designed and built. There’s another thread on here about another amp from that company that would also make me hesitant to buy from them.
That is a very fair point, and I cannot say I have not considered it.

But I will list the reason's why I'm still considering it, just to illustrate my thought process:

- After the initial video, they did make improvements, meaning they listen to the community and are willing to make updates
- This model has been in the market for some years, giving them time to correct any big mistakes
- The amount of positive reviews online for this Amp is incredible when compared to the competition
- The price (900USD + shipping)
- The construction quality (mentioned on every single review)
- All other Amps in this price range are either less Powerful, have less features, or seem to have other problems pointed out in their reviews
- (Going by the reviews) to be able to properly compete against the Willsenton R8 I would have to spent at least double the price.
- I really like how this amp looks.

The Cons:
- Some of the technical problems highlighted in Skunkie Design's video.
- Ordering from China Hifi (new website for me, but heard they are honest)
- Not having local support if I have a problem (but also true for most other Tube Amp brands) - I live in the UAE
- Not being able to listen to it before buying (I am relying solely on the reviews)

That's it in a nutshell.

If anyone has other arguments I should consider on either the Pro's or Con's, please let me know.

Thanks for your input.
 
I had zero issues with my sample. I could hear a touch of tube hiss when I put my ear up to the tweeter on the Fortes but not a problem from my listening chair.
 
That is a very fair point, and I cannot say I have not considered it.

But I will list the reason's why I'm still considering it, just to illustrate my thought process:

- After the initial video, they did make improvements, meaning they listen to the community and are willing to make updates
- This model has been in the market for some years, giving them time to correct any big mistakes
- The amount of positive reviews online for this Amp is incredible when compared to the competition
- The price (900USD + shipping)
- The construction quality (mentioned on every single review)
- All other Amps in this price range are either less Powerful, have less features, or seem to have other problems pointed out in their reviews
- (Going by the reviews) to be able to properly compete against the Willsenton R8 I would have to spent at least double the price.
- I really like how this amp looks.

The Cons:
- Some of the technical problems highlighted in Skunkie Design's video.
- Ordering from China Hifi (new website for me, but heard they are honest)
- Not having local support if I have a problem (but also true for most other Tube Amp brands) - I live in the UAE
- Not being able to listen to it before buying (I am relying solely on the reviews)

That's it in a nutshell.

If anyone has other arguments I should consider on either the Pro's or Con's, please let me know.

Thanks for your input.
Hmm, didn’t realize it was that low a prIce. If you’re willing to take the risks I guess it would be a fun thing to have. I can’t help but think a Dynaco Stereo 70 would be a better amp to have for both sound and durability. All of the kinks have long since been worked out of that amp and it is a classic for a reason. There are also a seemingly endless supply of modifications that have been tried out over the years to improve it. It is easy to find techs to work on them if needed and the transformers are bound to be of better quality. Yes, at the same price it would be a used amp instead of new but the depreciation has already happened. If you don’t like it or just want to move on to something else you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it.

So yeah, unless I could hear one in my system before buying I don’t think I would take the risk of buying that amp. Not when it is so easy to buy tried and true amps around the same price.
 
I think this amp is an unbeatable value (lots of the local audio guys are violently opposed to subsidizing the CCP, but that's a separate issue as far as I'm concerned). Stephek's mods were to lower the noise floor, provide a safety in case of a bias pot failure, eliminate dumb stuff like routing the output to the front and through a headphone jack then back to the output transformers (who needs a KT88 push-pull headphone amp?) and generally upgrade components like the coupling caps. It sounds great stock and the build quality and appearance are first-class. Putting my blast helmet on now...
 
Got my Willsenton R8... with KT88's.

Still early days, but so far I am enjoying the sound quite a bit.

I am sure tube rolling would take it to the next level, but for the time being I'm finding myself enjoying the original tubes.

I now understand why reviewers said this can't be beaten at this price (1089USD for me, including shipping) - The sound is amazing and the built quality is something else...

@Aerobat, did you get your EL34s?
 
Got my Willsenton R8... with KT88's.

Still early days, but so far I am enjoying the sound quite a bit.

I am sure tube rolling would take it to the next level, but for the time being I'm finding myself enjoying the original tubes.

I now understand why reviewers said this can't be beaten at this price (1089USD for me, including shipping) - The sound is amazing and the built quality is something else...

@Aerobat, did you get your EL34s?
I've been buying from Tubedepot but there are a lot of tube sources that folks on here can mention.
 
I have a Willsenton R8 "MK II" and am very happy with it. There are some issues with it though:
1. I have a very noisy volume pot. It makes a scratchy sound when adjusting the volume. The issue is inconsistent, sometimes it is quite loud and others it is dead silent. Can't figure it out. I also had an early version Willsenton R8 and it exhibited the same issue. I contacted China-Hi-Fi and they sent me a new volume pot board and that seemed to fixed the issue but the noise gradually came back.
2. The amp always powers up in triode mode and on input 1. I listen to triode mode so that is not really issue for me.
3. The volume pot is super sensitive. I slight nudge and the volume changes by a lot
4. The remote control is also too sensitive, a slight tap and the volume changes by a lot

I was surprised that the second R8 had a lot bigger soundstage over the first one. I also have a Muzishare X7 so I can compare the two amps. The Muzishare X7 sounds notably better than the first R8 but the second R8 comes real close. Tube rolling really throws things in a loop.

The stock OEM R8 MK II sounds as good as the X7. But the X7 with Gold Lion KT88s, Gold Lions B749/B759 tubes sounds magnificent. I have tried the regarded Apos Ray 12AU7s in the X7 and it does not hold a candle to the Gold Lions.

The R8 out of the box can sound good, especially after burning in the tubes. But I like the reissued Mullard EL34s with Sylvania 6SN7WGT and the Sylvania 6SL7 combo the best. I prefer the sound of the EL34 over the KT88s. It sound mellower and warmer, but the KT88s sounds a bit brighter with a tighter bottom end. I have bought several Chinese power tubes (Psvane KT88-T MK II, Psvane EL34PH) as well as front end tubes (Psvane CV181-T MK II and Psvane UK-6SN7). They sound a bit more detailed, more like a solid state amp. I don't like the tolerances of the Chinese tubes. The tubes I bought were matched quads but each quad had a big separation in IP scores. One quad had an IP of 26 and the other was 45. This makes me conclude that the Chinese sell every tube they make, no matter how bad it is.
 
I have a Willsenton R8 "MK II" and am very happy with it. There are some issues with it though:
1. I have a very noisy volume pot. It makes a scratchy sound when adjusting the volume. The issue is inconsistent, sometimes it is quite loud and others it is dead silent. Can't figure it out. I also had an early version Willsenton R8 and it exhibited the same issue. I contacted China-Hi-Fi and they sent me a new volume pot board and that seemed to fixed the issue but the noise gradually came back.
2. The amp always powers up in triode mode and on input 1. I listen to triode mode so that is not really issue for me.
3. The volume pot is super sensitive. I slight nudge and the volume changes by a lot
4. The remote control is also too sensitive, a slight tap and the volume changes by a lot

I was surprised that the second R8 had a lot bigger soundstage over the first one. I also have a Muzishare X7 so I can compare the two amps. The Muzishare X7 sounds notably better than the first R8 but the second R8 comes real close. Tube rolling really throws things in a loop.

The stock OEM R8 MK II sounds as good as the X7. But the X7 with Gold Lion KT88s, Gold Lions B749/B759 tubes sounds magnificent. I have tried the regarded Apos Ray 12AU7s in the X7 and it does not hold a candle to the Gold Lions.

The R8 out of the box can sound good, especially after burning in the tubes. But I like the reissued Mullard EL34s with Sylvania 6SN7WGT and the Sylvania 6SL7 combo the best. I prefer the sound of the EL34 over the KT88s. It sound mellower and warmer, but the KT88s sounds a bit brighter with a tighter bottom end. I have bought several Chinese power tubes (Psvane KT88-T MK II, Psvane EL34PH) as well as front end tubes (Psvane CV181-T MK II and Psvane UK-6SN7). They sound a bit more detailed, more like a solid state amp. I don't like the tolerances of the Chinese tubes. The tubes I bought were matched quads but each quad had a big separation in IP scores. One quad had an IP of 26 and the other was 45. This makes me conclude that the Chinese sell every tube they make, no matter how bad it is.
I haven't had any noise in the volume pot. It is sensitive and the remote moves it too far with each button press. The amp is designed to start in triode mode so that's normal. I find triode sound is more tubey and romantic as opposed to ultra-linear with a bit of a sharper edge.

I rolled in a quad of new production Mullard EL84s, and I prefer them over Gold Lion KT88s. The EL84s to my ear have a better balance and tighter bass. After that I added RCA black plate 6SL7s in the preamp section. This tube rolling thing can get out of hand lol.
 
Got my Willsenton R8... with KT88's.

Still early days, but so far I am enjoying the sound quite a bit.

I am sure tube rolling would take it to the next level, but for the time being I'm finding myself enjoying the original tubes.

I now understand why reviewers said this can't be beaten at this price (1089USD for me, including shipping) - The sound is amazing and the built quality is something else...

@Aerobat, did you get your EL34s?
Enjoy it Shadow, as Stephe pointed out a majority of the issues have been rectified, though I doubt as a tube noobie you would have heard the difference anyway. I own a Chi-Fi tube amp and have been enjoying it for almost a decade. I did exchange the Chinese tubes with others almost immediately, but I had them on hand. Since then I've ordered replacements from Tubedepot for that "just in case" moment. I might order some more, maybe different brands, since TD sent me a discount coupon in a text.
 
I haven't had any noise in the volume pot. It is sensitive and the remote moves it too far with each button press. The amp is designed to start in triode mode so that's normal. I find triode sound is more tubey and romantic as opposed to ultra-linear with a bit of a sharper edge.

I rolled in a quad of new production Mullard EL84s, and I prefer them over Gold Lion KT88s. The EL84s to my ear have a better balance and tighter bass. After that I added RCA black plate 6SL7s in the preamp section. This tube rolling thing can get out of hand lol.
So EL84's are compatible with the R8? What other power tubes are compatible other than the KT88's, EL34's and EL84's?
 
Back
Top Bottom