• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New York Times: "The New Audio Geeks"

Go over to Head-fi and you'll find that most of the posters there dabbling in budget pocket-rocket headphones all the way up to custom-mold IEMs and other exotic headphone options are more my generation than the stale demographics floating around here.

It is pretty interesting how different the two markets are age-wise. Almost everyone I've met that is into speakers is over 40, while most people that are into high-end headphones are 30 or younger.

I did like the mention in the article that more young people are moving to the quality of the music rather than the quantity.

Why not have both? Grab a 1 terrabyte hard drive for $70 and store a massive high res lossless music collection on something that weighs about a pound.
If you don't need lossless, Spotify Premium or MOG will give you a huge library of 320kpbs music, which sounds surprisingly good even on a high quality system.
 
Sorry dan-c. that's a TV reference from the show Wicked Tuna.
"Googans" is evidently what commercial fishermen like to call recreational tuna fishermen who don't know what they're doing, go out and get in the way, scare fish away, foul the working crews' equipment etc.
Your "hipsters in the record stores" comment immediately made me think of that.
I'm not a Bostonian but I enjoy the show.
 
I dislike a lot of bland '70s rock, but I will admit that "Slow Ride" and "Drivin' Wheel" are kind of guilty pleasures. I think Foghat is almost proto-sludge rock, and I stress almost because they don't quite make it there and as a result come on as too tame in most cases to warrant active listening. But in different hands, it could have been something. I can totally hear the Melvins, for instance, covering those two songs above and making them kick-ass.

I remember Foghat from the radio in the late '70's early '80's but I could not remember any of their song titles. Thanks for clearing some of the fog.
 
It is pretty interesting how different the two markets are age-wise. Almost everyone I've met that is into speakers is over 40, while most people that are into high-end headphones are 30 or younger.

Over 40 = settled home owner

Under 30 = apartment hopper
 
Yourself included? :thmbsp:

Yes, actually. Everytime I venture into head-Fi or computer audio circles I feel pretty clueless. As new as a lot of my gear is, I'm still stuck in the audio mindset of the '70s and '80s. My server is very basic, though it works. And when I venture into other sites, the choices out there boggle my mind. I'm aware that a ton of quality gear is being made today but I'm very much behind trying to hear most kf it. I'm pretty clueless about digital room correction. I'd love to stream DSD. I'm snow blind to all of the options for gear choices out of Asia. I haven't heard a current state of the art speaker as my schedule never allows me to get to an audio show. I'd say I've heard about 10% of what I want to hear that's out there. If that. It's daunting, and I spend too much time getting sucked into moronic debates about "vintage or new?" for the thousandth time instead of learning about what really is possible in audio in 2013. I'm a member of a more modern-oriented forum and yeah, I'm very much the dumbstruck newbie in that context.
 
According to the article Bob Brown the new head of Thiel audio wants to redesign the speakers to attract the young career woman. Give a young career woman a choice between a $3000 shopping spree at Neiman Marcus or a pair of slim looking speakers what do you think she'll choose????? So long Thiel.
 
According to the article Bob Brown the new head of Thiel audio wants to redesign the speakers to attract the young career woman. Give a young career woman a choice between a $3000 shopping spree at Neiman Marcus or a pair of slim looking speakers what do you think she'll choose????? So long Thiel.

I know several women who'd kick you in the nuts for that remark. And then laugh about it while listening to their records.
 
According to the article Bob Brown the new head of Thiel audio wants to redesign the speakers to attract the young career woman. Give a young career woman a choice between a $3000 shopping spree at Neiman Marcus or a pair of slim looking speakers what do you think she'll choose????? So long Thiel.

I found that marketing strategy bizarre as well. Seems like appealing to a tiny niche within a niche hobby is a good way to become obsolete.
 
Did anyone notice the MMF 2.2 in the slide show? $250 at Urban Outfitters? Not quite. They're listed at $450.

cubdog
 
According to the article Bob Brown the new head of Thiel audio wants to redesign the speakers to attract the young career woman. Give a young career woman a choice between a $3000 shopping spree at Neiman Marcus or a pair of slim looking speakers what do you think she'll choose????? So long Thiel.

Thiel isn't going anywhere. Big and needed changes are afoot at that company.
The two men re-inventing the brand are very talented and will succeed quite handily.
 
I thought the article was on the whole pretty accurate. I couldn't find much to argue with, even the Beats reference. While not audiophile approved at $450 I'd consider them high end no matter how they sound.

cubdog
 
Last edited:
An attempt at better sound driven by a younger person listening to what he wrongly assumed to be a really knowledgable source telling him what the best sound available was, leading to a really cool looking product that ultimately didn't deliver anywhere near what he was told it would deliver.

That could be anybody getting into Beats...but its actually about my head first dive into vintage receivers.
 
No worries. We're not looking for Foghat records or that 12th copy of journey's greatest hits.

Funny... I am listening to my new copy of Journey's Greatest hits on vinyl while reading this thread. :D BTW it sounds great. Its a well produced set of disks.
 
I found that marketing strategy bizarre as well. Seems like appealing to a tiny niche within a niche hobby is a good way to become obsolete.

Sure, it always seems like a dumb idea until it turns out to be brilliant, then everybody says "hey, why didn't I think of that?"

The president of Thiel is Kathy Gornik. There are lots of professional women to whom music and aesthetics are important. Maybe not so dumb.
 
Back
Top Bottom