• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newbie AR3a restoration: best way to refoam for beginners?

Lilscamp

New Member
Posted a thread a couple of days ago about wanting to get my AR3a’s restored professionally, but after thinking about it and with some encouragement, I have decided to try my hand at restoring them myself

The woofers definitely need refoaming, and I bought some replacement foam from Rick Cobb, but I guess I didn’t realize these didn’t come with shims or a dust cap. My question is which refoam method would be best for a beginner and have a larger margin for error? I like the idea of avoiding cutting the dust caps with the test tone method, but have read the shim method would be the only way to inspect the voice coils?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 5
Register to hide this ad
Actually disregard previous post, I see he has already offered assistance in your other thread started this past Monday.

If it were me I would follow up there instead of this new thread as you already have a good starting point. I see your relatively new here so no need to have multiple threads on the same topic

 
Actually disregard previous post, I see he has already offered assistance in your other thread started this past Monday.

If it were me I would follow up there instead of this new thread as you already have a good starting point. I see your relatively new here so no need to have multiple threads on the same topic

Makes sense, sorry about that. I will do that, thank you!
 
Back
Top Bottom