• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Newbie in need of some basic help with speaker hookup (A60 series II into an SX-580)

SCAPE_GOAT

New Member
I have a very general/entry level question about hooking up my speakers to my receiver. I’m basically wondering what kind of speaker wire I should use (what gauge, what brand, etc.). Also, should I use banana plugs or some other sort of connectors, or go bare wire directly into both the speakers and receiver? I’m definitely on a budget too, so preferably something reasonable, but sufficient. I’m running a Pioneer SX-580 with Boston Acoustics A60 Series II speakers. Any info helps. As stated in my previous posts, I’m a total newbie and just trying to get all the basics right so I can get my setup up and running. Any info helps. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
If the 580 and Bostons have factory terminals, you're not going to use banana plugs, they won't fit.

There's nothing wrong with good clean bare wire ends so long as you are mindful of loose strands. If you have a soldering iron, tin the very tip of the bare wire ends to keep them from fraying or causing other problems. Leave enough un-tinned bare copper for the spring terminals to "bite".
 
If the 580 and Bostons have factory terminals, you're not going to use banana plugs, they won't fit.

There's nothing wrong with good clean bare wire ends so long as you are mindful of loose strands. If you have a soldering iron, tin the very tip of the bare wire ends to keep them from fraying or causing other problems. Leave enough un-tinned bare copper for the spring terminals to "bite".
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, they both have the factory terminals, so it looks like I’ll be going bare wire. I don’t currently own a soldering iron, but it’s definitely on the shopping list.
 
Perhaps the most important thing to be mindful of when using bare ends is potentially loose strands of wire, those can sometimes reach across and touch the other conductor causing a short.

Keep the stripped ends as short as possible/practical, double check for loose strands, and you should be good to go.
 
Perhaps the most important thing to be mindful of when using bare ends is potentially loose strands of wire, those can sometimes reach across and touch the other conductor causing a short.

Keep the stripped ends as short as possible/practical, double check for loose strands, and you should be good to go.
Good to know. Thanks again!
 
So I’ll be fine to use pin connectors in the terminals of the 580 and the speakers as well? No problems fitting? If so, that’s great news. I’d prefer to use a connector to bare wire, if possible.
 
The problem with uninsulated pin connectors is that they often flop in the connectors. This often happens when the speaker cable is tugged or moved around. If the connectors flop and come into contact with other you can fry your amp by shorting the output.

It would be better to use bare wire to make your connections.

As for using 12 ga. wire, you need to make sure it will fit in the connectors. Many spring-type connectors are too small to accept large gage wire. Unless you have very long runs, 16 ga. wire would be fine.
 
The problem with uninsulated pin connectors is that they often flop in the connectors. This often happens when the speaker cable is tugged or moved around. If the connectors flop and come into contact with other you can fry your amp by shorting the output.

It would be better to use bare wire to make your connections.

As for using 12 ga. wire, you need to make sure it will fit in the connectors. Many spring-type connectors are too small to accept large gage wire. Unless you have very long runs, 16 ga. wire would be fine.
Looks like I’m leaning toward going bare wire, as that’s the second suggestion I’ve gotten for it. if I did want to chance the connectors, if the uninsulated connectors have a tendency to flop, is an insulated connector an option?
 
if I did want to chance the connectors, if the uninsulated connectors have a tendency to flop, is an insulated connector an option?
Once installed on the wire, you can insulate every bit of the connector except the working portion of the pin with heat shrink tubing. They can pretty easily be made safe from shorting.

FWIW, in spring loaded terminals you will get much more usable contact area when they clamp on soft bare copper wire. While fairly moot in this case, it can become relevant in higher powered systems.

Hard contact surface of spring connectors + hard pins = very limited contact area.

Electrically speaking in terms of cost and practicality, it will be hard to beat a good quality pure copper lamp cord with bare ends.
 
Once installed on the wire, you can insulate every bit of the connector except the working portion of the pin with heat shrink tubing. They can pretty easily be made safe from shorting.

FWIW, in spring loaded terminals you will get much more usable contact area when they clamp on soft bare copper wire. While fairly moot in this case, it can become relevant in higher powered systems.

Hard contact surface of spring connectors + hard pins = very limited contact area.

Electrically speaking in terms of cost and practicality, it will be hard to beat a good quality pure copper lamp cord with bare ends.
Okay, good to know. I’m buying some wire today.

One last question: if I choose to use the bare wire method, how crucial is soldering? If I’m just super careful that I don’t have any loose strands sticking out, will I be good to go? I still do plan on getting a soldering iron soon, but for now I’m hoping just wiring everything up as is will be sufficient.
 
Okay, good to know. I’m buying some wire today.

One last question: if I choose to use the bare wire method, how crucial is soldering? If I’m just super careful that I don’t have any loose strands sticking out, will I be good to go? I still do plan on getting a soldering iron soon, but for now I’m hoping just wiring everything up as is will be sufficient.

More people have used bare wire without solder than have with, just strip off as little as possible to make the best connection.
 
if I choose to use the bare wire method, how crucial is soldering?
I wouldn't call it crucial so much as a nice added touch, even radio shack did it on the ends of their pre-cut speaker wire. If your system is going to remain relatively static once connected, i've probably caused you a bit of ado about nothing with regard to tinning the ends.

A bit of care to err on the side of caution regarding loose strands will likely be sufficient.

Many of us hobbyists and enthusiasts end up rotating a lot of equipment in and out of our systems, and this is where steps like tinning the ends of bare speaker wire will really come into play.
 
Back
Top Bottom