• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newbie question- Any advantage of using a HRT Music streamer out of a Squeezebox ?

tbrodo

New Member
New to the digital world folks. Have a Windows PC to a wireless Fios Squeezebox feeding a Mcintosh MA 6500 Integrated amp powering Klipsch rebuilt Heresies. Would it make any sense to output the Sbox through a HRT Music Streamer and then into the 6500? Do you think sound quality will improve? Thanks in advance for any comments.
 
Register to hide this ad
New to the digital world folks. Have a Windows PC to a wireless Fios Squeezebox feeding a Mcintosh MA 6500 Integrated amp powering Klipsch rebuilt Heresies. Would it make any sense to output the Sbox through a HRT Music Streamer and then into the 6500? Do you think sound quality will improve? Thanks in advance for any comments.

If it's compatible, then I would say yes. It's just that it's made for integrating with computers, and I have no idea if it's able to connect/work with something like a Squeezebox (Never owned a Squeezebox before, so I'm not familiar with the interface, but the conversion with an MSII should be considerably-better than with a Squeezebox alone... if they're compatible).
 
If it's compatible, then I would say yes. It's just that it's made for integrating with computers, and I have no idea if it's able to connect/work with something like a Squeezebox (Never owned a Squeezebox before, so I'm not familiar with the interface, but the conversion with an MSII should be considerably-better than with a Squeezebox alone... if they're compatible).

Agreed, if you could output a digital signal from the squeezebox to the MSII, and both are able to communicate with each other, it would work.
As for whether it would make a difference, I'd say it would. You can think of a DAC as kind of the "cartridge" of the digital world, though it isn't a perfect comparison.
 
Agreed, if you could output a digital signal from the squeezebox to the MSII, and both are able to communicate with each other, it would work.
As for whether it would make a difference, I'd say it would. You can think of a DAC as kind of the "cartridge" of the digital world, though it isn't a perfect comparison.

Right. The MSII is basically designed to work specifically with a usb connection, so if there's a way you can connect that Squeezebox to a mini-usb and run rca cables out the other end of the MSII and on to your amp (and as long as the MSII's drivers can integrate with your Squeezebox's interface), then it would work, but there are a few "if"'s. What type of outputs does the Squeezebox have? USB? Optical?
 
They also make an iStreamer that's like an MSII that's designed to work with the iPod, iPhone, Mac, etc. Hopefully one of them will be compatible.

The MSII is a really-nice dac (and according to pretty-much every review, the cheapest way to get good, asynchronous-usb D/A-conversion). It did wonders for my system.
 
Last edited:
The SB digital output is optical and coax. I think you would need a converter that may not even exist. I would not try to predict the results, although depending on your SB version, you may be able to match levels and do an A/B or ABX test.
 
The SB digital output is optical and coax. I think you would need a converter that may not even exist. I would not try to predict the results, although depending on your SB version, you may be able to match levels and do an A/B or ABX test.

Yeah, perhaps you'll have to go with something like an AUDIOgd or something like that. I know they make some nice ones with those output-types. Otherwise, you can spend a few more and get a Schiit Bifrost (THAT would make the SB sound REALLY-nice).

Oh, I almost forgot. There's an Emotiva dac that they've been selling cheap ($199) because a new model is coming out pretty-soon. There's also the MF V-DAC (I think it's around $300 and gets decent reviews).

It's too-bad you can't really-use the MSII. It's a really-nice dac for such a low price. One thing I love is the transient response. The front-edge of notes is solid and hits hard, and everything has the right weight to it. It eliminated the huge noise-floor I had, which in turn dramatically-increased extension, dynamics, and clarity (because it eliminated the ground-loop problem caused by my computer's power supply). Also, it sounds incredibly-analog. Makes old '80's and early '90's CD's sound like LP's (Back then, CD was still trying to emulate vinyl, so CD's were mastered in a similar fashion).
 
Last edited:
I would get a dac that's designed to work great with your kind of output/s. In other words, say you were getting a dac and you saw one that had several connections, including what your SB has.... Make sure it sounds good while using YOUR type of output. For example some dacs do optical AND usb, but the usb connection on said dac might only handle 16-bit and doesn't sound as good as the optical-output, which handles 16-bit AND hi-rez stuff. Depends on the dac (The MSII sounds great through usb AND handles hi-rez). All I'm saying is, do your homework before you buy.
 
Last edited:
The SB digital output is optical and coax. I think you would need a converter that may not even exist.

The 'Enhanced Digital Output' third party app allows the USB input on the SB Touch to be used as an output to a USB DAC. Most USB DACs which do not require drivers/software to operate will work just fine with the Touch in conjunction with the EDO app.

The EDO app also allows the Touch to output 24/192.

Loading the app is a piece of cake - it can be selected and uploaded via the Touch's interface.
 
New to the digital world folks. Have a Windows PC to a wireless Fios Squeezebox feeding a Mcintosh MA 6500 Integrated amp powering Klipsch rebuilt Heresies. Would it make any sense to output the Sbox through a HRT Music Streamer and then into the 6500? Do you think sound quality will improve? Thanks in advance for any comments.

I think it's entirely likely that the HRT is a better DAC than the one in the squeezebox. Try it and tell us what you think.
 
I think it's entirely likely that the HRT is a better DAC than the one in the squeezebox.

I'd be willing to bet money on that fact.

The 'Enhanced Digital Output' third party app allows the USB input on the SB Touch to be used as an output to a USB DAC. Most USB DACs which do not require drivers/software to operate will work just fine with the Touch in conjunction with the EDO app.

Wow, that's fantastic! Do you (or anyone else) know if the MSII is a plug-and-play DAC?
 
The 'Enhanced Digital Output' third party app allows the USB input on the SB Touch to be used as an output to a USB DAC. Most USB DACs which do not require drivers/software to operate will work just fine with the Touch in conjunction with the EDO app.

The EDO app also allows the Touch to output 24/192.

Loading the app is a piece of cake - it can be selected and uploaded via the Touch's interface.

Yes, try this first before getting another DAC. I've heard it might generate pops and clicks with USB Asynchronous DACs (HRT MS1 may not even be asynchronous) but in any case it's worth a try anyway.
 
Yes, try this first before getting another DAC. I've heard it might generate pops and clicks with USB Asynchronous DACs (HRT MS1 may not even be asynchronous) but in any case it's worth a try anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, the MS-I is NOT asynchronous. That's the big difference between it and the MS-II.
 
If it's compatible, then I would say yes. It's just that it's made for integrating with computers, and I have no idea if it's able to connect/work with something like a Squeezebox (Never owned a Squeezebox before, so I'm not familiar with the interface, but the conversion with an MSII should be considerably-better than with a Squeezebox alone... if they're compatible).

I'd call the guys at HRT and ask them. Their customer service is said to be beyond excellent.
 
The 'Enhanced Digital Output' third party app allows the USB input on the SB Touch to be used as an output to a USB DAC. Most USB DACs which do not require drivers/software to operate will work just fine with the Touch in conjunction with the EDO app.

The EDO app also allows the Touch to output 24/192.

Loading the app is a piece of cake - it can be selected and uploaded via the Touch's interface.

If that's the case, then my guess is that the HRT MSII would work. It IS a plug-and-play DAC that has it's own drivers and doesn't need software. You plug it in, and BOOM, it integrates with your PC. And like rnorton said, the OLD Music Streamer was NOT asynchronous, but the updated Music Streamer II is (The updated model is easy to spot because it has the LED's on one side and actually says "asynchronous usb" under it's mini-usb connector).

So based on what pete mac said, the MSII should work. And that's a sweet DAC for $150. You won't do any better for less. What you can do is email HRT and ask if it will work with a Squeezebox (Mention how old your SB is). I emailed them and got a reply from Kevin Halverson (the guy who designed the thing) in less than 15 minutes (and that was no fluke either... With the emails that folllowed, his responses were just as quick). He should have an answer for you. It's a fledgling company, so pleasing the customers is a high priority for them, but Kevin's also a really-nice guy who stands by his products 100% (It's so-odd to see a guy from an audiophile record company and another guy who designs/sells high-end CDP's both getting together and starting a budget DAC company... It's funny).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom