• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newbie wants to get a Dual 1226 Up and Running

It sounds like the antiskating is out of whack. Turn the antiskating dial to 0, set the tracking force to 0. Make sure the tonearm counterbalance is adjusted so the tonearm "floats". If the antiskating is correctly adjusted, the tonearm shouldn't move. If it's out of adjustment, the tonearm will move outward--or if you tap it inward, it'll continue moving inward.

The adjustment is a spring with a screw, if i remember correctly, look under the TT at the antiskating knob and there's the screw at the end of a spring. Loosen the spring screw for less antiskating.

Also check and make sure the tonearm wires aren't pulling the arm out (doubtful) and make sure the TT is level.

Replenishing the tonearm dampening fluid is a PITA but not impossible, you merely have to take the tonearm assembly off. Took me about an hour start-to-finish on my 1225. (Follow the directions on the 1228 from vinylengine). I got the 500,000 cps silicone oil from a RC hobby shop, it's what they use in the car gears apparently (they sell different weights).
 
okay, so by floating do you mean over top of the record? or do you mean in the start position, because it definately doesn't float, it just moves outwards. And I'm assuming you mean when the turntable is turned on.
 
Unplug the TT then move the tonearm as if it's playing a record. The tracking force dial (on the tonearm) must be set to 0. Also set the antiskating dial (the dial under the tonearm, to the side, on the metal table itself) to to 0.

If the tonearm counterbalance is at the right spot, the tonearm won't go up or down, it'll just kinda stay in the middle (vertically).

Of course, if the antiskating wants to move the arm outward, that's a difficulty. Normally the tracking force will be around 1 to 1-1/2 grams. Once the antiskating dial is calibrated, it should be set at whatever the tracking force is set at...if the tracking force is 1 gram, set the antiskating for 1 gram.

On mine the antiskating isn't quite accurate either, if set at 0 it still pulls the tonearm out slightly. I just compensate by setting my antiskating about half a gram lower....that's cheating....
 
Okay, I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks a lot for all your help guys. I'm sure I'll still have a ton of questions tomorrow though, lol. I'll try all that first and see how it works out. Thanks again.
 
Well, I've balanced the tonearm, I think the antiskating screw still might need to be adjusted because the arm goes out to where it should drop but as it's going down it moves just enough to miss the record so the needle hits the side of the record. Where exactly is this? Directly under the anti-skating knob, because the only one there seems to be painted over.

Also, when balancing the tonearm it should be more or less parallel to the record right?

I also used the bic pen piece and left it a bit longer than the metal piece it slides over, seems to work okay.
 
Right, more or less parallel to the record when balancing the tonearm.

Yes, there's paint on the anti-skating adjustor, to keep it from working loose. But if you don't want to mess with that quite yet, try this: adjust the point where the tonearm drops. Move the 33/45 selector knob. You'll see a silver screw there that's usually hidden more or less by the speed selector knob. This screw adjusts where the tonearm will drop. Try tweaking it just a tad to get the tonearm to come down at the right spot, even with the "windage" from the anti-skating. Set the anti-skating on maybe .5 or so, instead of the normal "match the tracking force" number.
 
Thanks nashvillebil, the auto-start and auto-stop works perfectly now. I may need a new stylus/cartridge. I should probably try to clean this one first though. What's the best way to get it off?

I also have to decide what I should do about lubricating everything. It still seems pretty good, nothing has gone gummy or anything. I just really don't know where to begin in terms of that.
 
Hold the headshell (that's the end of the tonearm that the cartridge is mounted on) with your left hand. With your right hand fingers, grab the little silver bar that sticks out from the headshell (the bar you hold when you're moving the tonarm manually) and push/rotate the little siilver bar backwards. The cartridge will come out, it's attached to a holder that slips up into the headshell. The little silver bar is the locking lever that scures the cartridge holder into the headshell.

To lubricate, I tuned it upside down, and liberally swabbed everything with isopropyl alcohol to remove all the gunk. Used a Q-tip. in the tight spots. Then I used oil on the spots shown on the 1228 service manual. A couple of spots take grease. Not a big chore at all.
 
I'll give that a try, thanks.

The types of oil and grease are listed in the service manual. Am I still going to be able to find all these or can I just use 1 thing once I've cleaned it all off? What do you suggest using?
 
Thanks a lot. I'll probably do the lubrication this weekend. Meanwhile I've cleaned the stylus but am still getting a bit of static/pops (not a lot but enough to hear it), even with clean/scratch free records. I'm assuming I need a new cartridge/stylus then. I've got an Audio Technica on there now. Can anyone suggest one that won't set me back too far in the wallet (I'm a student, lol).
 
Back
Top Bottom