• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newbie wondering about Sansui prices

e30_325is

Member
This is my first post on AK.

I recently picked up a Sansui TU-217 for my home office and was totally blown away by the audio quality. I am now looking for a Sansui amp to build a little vintage setup. It seems like prices for vintage Sansui gear has shot up over the last few years so I am wondering what are reasonable prices for amplifiers. Looking around locally, there are some representative prices:

AU-317: $175
AU-5900: $250
AU 5900 + TU-5900: $350

Are these prices reasonable?

Are there other models that you would recommend? I need something that has separate pre-amp outs because the amp will be driving a set of M-Audio BX5a active monitors (at least for the time being).

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK.....
Those prices appear to be a bit steep, unless the pieces were re-furbished, with new capacitors etc.
The AU 5900 is a nice amp.
Did you check completed auctions for Ebay?
That's a good place to start.
 
Thanks for the tip. Ebay does not seem to give a lot of history but I'll keep checking.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the AU-5500 vs the AU-317.
There are a couple of AU-5500s for sale locally between $140 and $175. Is that a more reasonable price? I'm just trying to decide if I want the perfect cosmetic match for my TU-217
 
The AU-317 would be a better match, since all the knobs will match. The AU-5500 has chrome knobs.
 
Welcome! I agree with others: the AU-317 would be a good match. Also agree that the prices you listed are on the high side unless they've been fully serviced.
 
In terms of sound quality, how does the AU-5500 compare with the AU-317?

It would be nice to have a cosmetic match but sound quality is key for me.

BTW: Either amp would be used in a smallish home office so having huge power is not a big issue.
 
The real vintage equipment does get serious money these days. I bought a Classique 1000 amp for $10 + shipping a while back, real powerful amp that worked fine. There are deals out there but it pays to not get in a hurry.
 
Hard to compare the two, I've hear AU-555, AU-6600, TA-500, AU-6500 and the AU-6600 was the most vivid and forwarding sounding amp that can match the Pioneer SX-3700 in terms of tonal qualities. TA-500 was very sweet and probably the most neutral. The AU-555 and AU-6500 had a nice full, warm and smooth sound to it.

But, take it as a grain of salt, since they are off by memory.
 
In my experience dealing with local sales, people will often list equipment for double the price they will actually take, you know fishing to see if there's any takers. I've made some really good deals by bringing cash and my pawn shop bargaining attitude.
 
If you are really interested in how they sound, see if you can find a local owner who is willing to give you a sound demo. Most true believers will jump at the opportunity.
.
 
Sansui's can be cheaper than Pioneer SX-XX50 and XX80 series receivers. There are some Sansui's that are worth a LOT of money. The Sansui G-9000 is an expensive monster receiver. The Sansui G-9700 is a cheaper receiver but it is also the most powerful monster receiver at 200 Watts Per Channel. Some Sansui's are harder to repair because of black legged transistors or unique oval capacitors. Sansui build quality is slightly lower than Pioneer but if repaired properly they are beautiful powerful units. The best all analog Sansui is the Sansui G-9000 at 160 Watts Per Channel. A good cheaper option is a Sansui G-8000. Sansui is a good enough top tier receiver not the best but far from the worse of the 1970's era silver faced receivers.
 
Sansui's can be cheaper than Pioneer SX-XX50 and XX80 series receivers. There are some Sansui's that are worth a LOT of money. The Sansui G-9000 is an expensive monster receiver. The Sansui G-9700 is a cheaper receiver but it is also the most powerful monster receiver at 200 Watts Per Channel. Some Sansui's are harder to repair because of black legged transistors or unique oval capacitors. Sansui build quality is slightly lower than Pioneer but if repaired properly they are beautiful powerful units. The best all analog Sansui is the Sansui G-9000 at 160 Watts Per Channel. A good cheaper option is a Sansui G-8000. Sansui is a good enough top tier receiver not the best but far from the worse of the 1970's era silver faced receivers.
12 year old thread.

On what do you base your conclusion regarding Sansui build quality? I would disagree, strongly.
 
I did not say Sansui's build quality was shabby or substandard. I've had the following receivers extensively refurbished to near new specs by my technicians. 1. Pioneer SX-1980, 2 Pioneer SX-1280's, 1 Pioneer SX-1250, 1 Pioneer SX-1080, 2 Pioneer SX-1050's, 3 Pioneer SX-950's, 1 Onkyo TX-8500-MKII, 1 Hitachi SR-2004, 1 Marantz 2330B and finally 2 Sansui G-9700's. I received the repair and upgrade bills from all of them so I know what had to be repaired. I never forgot that my technicians showed me a flaw in the Sansui design. Problem was under the right circumstances this power supply issue would be a single point of failure in its power section that could ruin the G-9700 receiver. The solution to add redundancy and resolve the single point of failure was a new circuit board that just cost $200.00. My technicians said Sansui is a great brand but they did cut a few corners in some receivers to save money.

EVERY receiver company from the golden age made a few crazy decisions that did not age well. My beautiful Marantz 2330B is a lovely piece and Marantz generally makes fine vintage audio. However my Marantz 2330B is a widely known as a problem child to repair because they stuffed two capacitors inside each of its two filter capacitors. Problem is it is hard if not to find two capacitors stuffed into one these days as the practice is obsolete. So to fully repair my Marantz 2330B my technicians had to build a standoff card, that allowed the placement of (4) FOUR capacitors the Marantz 2330B needs for optimal function. My Marantz 2330B is a 130 watt per channel pristine beast I would not trade yet it has its issues. My Pioneer SX-1980 had power stage and other design issues from the 1970's that required purchasing $500 card upgrades to resolve the situation. That does not make the Pioneer SX1980 and SX-1280 bad receivers but the initial as designed build quality could have been better.

No receiver company made a perfect line of hit receivers without any issues at all. With the benefit of time we in 2023 get to see which design decisions stood the test of time and which did not. Sansui made some of the most beautiful receivers out there. Sansui radio tuners, sound processing and filter caps were among the best but nothing including Sansui is perfect. I adore my Sansui G-9700. I'd almost give my left testicle to get a Sansui G-9000 as I think its the prettiest monster receiver ever made. However just because I love any brand does not mean I will be blind to the areas that need redesign to eleminate known issues that have come to light over the years. I TRY to write posts that allow others to benefit from my experience with receivers I had repaired. I'm not here to bash Sansui, Pioneer, MCS, Radio Shack, Marantz, Kenwood or any other receiver. Kenwood for example made a lower end receiver compared to many of the day but even their receivers were fine judged against the build quality of today's gear.

Pioneer's, Hitachi's and Sansui's were usually over engineered and feature rich. Marantz is a fine receiver but it's engineering and design is often simplistic and straight forward just like a Kenwood. Marantz wins for design and the fact that while simple Marantz receivers tended to be engineered to the highest stands using great parts. Marantz designs were extremely fault tolerant. I consider Marantz the McIntosh of receivers which explains the so called Marantz tax. In the final analysis I agree with you Sansui IS a fine brand but even the finest brand of the time had their weaknesses. That's all I am saying. If we don't agree we can both respectfully agree to disagree and move on.
 
I don't use receivers, and I don't collect "vintage" gear. But I've worked on a lot of it.

The OP was about integrated amps. Among the mainstream audio brands, Sansui made the best of these.
 
Last edited:
Marantz had some of the best looking equipment of all time, definately not "straight forward" but maybe more "trend-setter." I never considered Sansui to be the beauty contest winner, if I put a wall of amps up, most would look the same, Sansui did have some great looking tuners. A lot of their early equipment looked like off the shelf knobs and buttons. Don't get me wrong, I have several of all, I love 70's Sanusi but best looking is a huge stretch, I do have a soft spot for the tape decks, even the lowly SC-3100 is a stand-out design for what it was. Supposedly Sansui did market studies in the 70's and determined that black was better than silver and thus a lot of their equipment is painted that way.

My office shelves have my personal killer design stuff, unfortunately Sansui only gets a few spots, a FR-4060 TT, a CX-990 Car Stereo (oh yea!) and some mini-boomboxes that were most likely made by Marantz, the FX-300R and the FX-700R, now these were good looking! but they have a Marantz Version so I'm thinking that Marantz of Japan rebranded them for Sansui, most likely for markets that Philips and Superscope didn't cover.
 
I've had to give up my Hitachi SR-2004 because unobtainable blown transistors ruined it. I've replaced my Hitachi SR-2004 with a Sansui G-9000. My Sansui G-9000 is not pretty as it lived in a seaside environment. However my new Sansui G-9000 works really well despite its aluminum face plate and switch levers being pitted. I still love my Hitachi SR-2004 and am sad letting it go. The only transistors that MIGHT WORK to repair my Hitachi SR-2004 are garbage Chinese transistors.
 
Back
Top Bottom