RJW77
New Member
Hello all,
I recently inherited my great-grandfather's console stereo, that I believe is from the early to mid 1960s. As you'll likely pickup from my post, I am extremely new to this and highly uneducated, but would love to have a better understanding and be able to fix/troubleshoot if possible. I have posted a few pictures for reference.
Assuming I am looking at the right numbers and labels, the console is a Micromatic Magnavox W603-18-02; and the cartridge's Model No. is 560310-1. From some preliminary research, I believe I found the following is the correct replacement needle: https://www.turntableneedles.com/find10.asp?manfg=Magnavox-Collaro&modelname=W603.18.02&Select=Model
When I first received it, to my surprise it worked immediately and sounded great considering it had been in a storage shed for 10+ years. However, I fear my frequent use was too much for the age and condition of the needle, which quickly gave way thereafter. To make matters worse, being naive I had no idea that the needle was the issue and started to try fix it until I realized that the stylus was in fact gone, and in doing so, somehow jostled the wires causing the speakers to go in and out, muffle, etc.
I want to attempt to repair and restore the console as much as I am able because I'm confident I can handle most of it if I have the right information and advice. Therefore, I would sincerely appreciate any advice and information anyone is willing to provide pertinent to the following:
1. Assuming the needle/stylus linked above is the correct model, should I first order and install it to determine if it restores the record player of the console into working order?
2. Hoping that I only jostled some of the wires on the backside of the unit (causing the alteration of the speakers), is it a good idea to get some dust remover/electronic aerosol cleaner and give all the wires and connections a thorough cleanse before checking all the connections?
3. Is there anywhere I can find an owner's manual for my unit? I realize I might have not provided enough information about the other components, such as the speaker/wiring configuration.
4. If I am able to repair the console with a new needle but find that the some of the speakers are blown or in bad shape, is it possible to update the speakers to new technology that is still compatible with the 1960s console (and receiver - if that is also important for that question). Also, when it was operational I thought the vintage sound was awesome and would prefer to keep it that way if possible.
4. Lastly, while I am a fairly handy individual and consider myself fairly adept with electronics and technology, if I am way over my head with these projects, I would rather be told now before I exhaust cash and time toward failure. Also, if any of you know of a business or individual that takes on these types of projects and I determine that I am unable to, I would love to get that contact information.
Thanks in advance for anyone that took the time to read this lengthy post and to those who have any advice for me, whether good or bad!
I recently inherited my great-grandfather's console stereo, that I believe is from the early to mid 1960s. As you'll likely pickup from my post, I am extremely new to this and highly uneducated, but would love to have a better understanding and be able to fix/troubleshoot if possible. I have posted a few pictures for reference.
Assuming I am looking at the right numbers and labels, the console is a Micromatic Magnavox W603-18-02; and the cartridge's Model No. is 560310-1. From some preliminary research, I believe I found the following is the correct replacement needle: https://www.turntableneedles.com/find10.asp?manfg=Magnavox-Collaro&modelname=W603.18.02&Select=Model
When I first received it, to my surprise it worked immediately and sounded great considering it had been in a storage shed for 10+ years. However, I fear my frequent use was too much for the age and condition of the needle, which quickly gave way thereafter. To make matters worse, being naive I had no idea that the needle was the issue and started to try fix it until I realized that the stylus was in fact gone, and in doing so, somehow jostled the wires causing the speakers to go in and out, muffle, etc.
I want to attempt to repair and restore the console as much as I am able because I'm confident I can handle most of it if I have the right information and advice. Therefore, I would sincerely appreciate any advice and information anyone is willing to provide pertinent to the following:
1. Assuming the needle/stylus linked above is the correct model, should I first order and install it to determine if it restores the record player of the console into working order?
2. Hoping that I only jostled some of the wires on the backside of the unit (causing the alteration of the speakers), is it a good idea to get some dust remover/electronic aerosol cleaner and give all the wires and connections a thorough cleanse before checking all the connections?
3. Is there anywhere I can find an owner's manual for my unit? I realize I might have not provided enough information about the other components, such as the speaker/wiring configuration.
4. If I am able to repair the console with a new needle but find that the some of the speakers are blown or in bad shape, is it possible to update the speakers to new technology that is still compatible with the 1960s console (and receiver - if that is also important for that question). Also, when it was operational I thought the vintage sound was awesome and would prefer to keep it that way if possible.
4. Lastly, while I am a fairly handy individual and consider myself fairly adept with electronics and technology, if I am way over my head with these projects, I would rather be told now before I exhaust cash and time toward failure. Also, if any of you know of a business or individual that takes on these types of projects and I determine that I am unable to, I would love to get that contact information.
Thanks in advance for anyone that took the time to read this lengthy post and to those who have any advice for me, whether good or bad!
