• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newest Member of the NS-1000M club!

t40killa

Well-Known Member
I've always been happy with my collection of speakers, but I've never owned or heard Yamaha's NS-1000s. They've definitely been on my wishlist for a very long time. The only other Yamaha's I've owned were the NS-500, NS-75t, and NS-10M. When I first started getting into vintage, I found a posting for a pair for $100. The seller called me back saying several have offered more and asked if I wanted to make an offer. I stupidly declined and have regretted my decision to not make an offer of at least $300.

Yesterday, I slept in to about 11:30am, checked my email and scrolled through CL's daily postings. At 1:30pm, I see a posting for a pair of the NS-1000M, best offer, posted at 10:30, with a phone number. I thought no way, I'm already 3 hours late, they must be gone. I decided to call anyways and of course no answer. I leave a message and I get a call back 2 minutes later. Glad to get a call back, but I figure this is going to be a bid war. I asked what he wanted for them and he said 2 Franklins. I told him I'd take them and the rest is history. I'm sure many others called as at least one other AKer has told me they left a message and got no call back. I guess I got really lucky and called right when he got home.

The speakers are in fair condition and will need some reveneer or cabinet work. But they are everything that everyone has said they are. Fantastic speakers, but I just wish they had more bass. Maybe one day I'll score the 1000x or 2000. Now to decide if I should drive them with the B-2x or M-2:scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
Technical difficulties. Hopefully it works this time.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0077[2].jpg
    IMG_0077[2].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 71
Excellent price on some really excellent speakers -- CONGRATULATIONS! :thmbsp:

A little story: I was visiting in the home of a wealthy banker recently, and he happened to have "his audio guy" over with several pairs of very expensive cables to audition. He has a very expensive, very-high-end system that the audio dealer had helped him assemble. The dealer specializes in semi-custom systems for clients with big wallets, it seems. I think the cheapest component in this particular system is probably $10K, except maybe some cables that might have been "only" a few thousand (hence, auditioning the upgrades :rolleyes:). His speakers were TOTL from the B&W 801 series.

We got to chatting about audio, and the dealer asked me what gear I had. I started naming some things, and when I told him that I recently moved to a smaller place, so I'd put the bigger speakers in storage and was only using the NS-1000Ms to suit my now-smaller living room, he said, with surprise and emphasis in his voice, "Those are REALLY GOOD speakers!" I had the feeling he wasn't really very familiar with some of the other stuff I'd mentioned (Infinities, Sequerras, DCMs, etc...) but he very obviously both knew and highly respected those Yamahas, and was impressed! He went on to ask me where I'd been lucky enough to get them... I thought it was a little amusing, but I couldn't argue with him. While not perfect (deep bass could be extended, for example), they are truly fine speakers, a technologically-advanced statement, even 30 years later.

Welcome to the club, and again - Congratulations! :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Condition looks pretty good from that pic. 'Fair' = veneer peeled off one side, both woofer magnets frozen...
Lots of discussion about NS-1000M and a perceived lack of bass response.
Position them close to a back wall. Bass traps made a huge difference here. I promise you that they can rattle windows in an optimal set up. Experiment and enjoy!
 
Congratulations! :banana: I was lucky enough find a pair too, late one evening. I agree with Spectrum; they can totally shake the place with bass, if you can place them properly - and fine tune those level controls!
 
Back
Top Bottom