If you need a temp sleeve I would think a plastic wrap would be a safer material NOT WAX paper but something like Saran wrap folded over the record once.
BUT NOTHING would beat a good sleeve. I prefer the Mofi or VPI type with the rice paper and the poly combo.
I may be committing heresy but I use the microfiber cloths from Wally World's automotive department. I keep two for a base to clean. A side one which always has dirt on it from side 2. And a side 2 that is always clean because side 1 (now clean) is always on it.
I may be committing heresy but I use the microfiber cloths from Wally World's automotive department. I keep two for a base to clean. A side one which always has dirt on it from side 2. And a side 2 that is always clean because side 1 (now clean) is always on it.
Alright then, I think I'll be making a trip to Advance Auto Parts tomorrow to see if I can find something similar to lay my records on when I wash them. I use a audioquest brush for dusting before every play, but thanks for everybody pointing this out. I've been listening tonight to one particular LP that needs a new inner sleeve that I'll be putting in one of the replacement plain paper sleeves a member has offered to mail to me if I pay for the shipping.
Considering I and probably several other people on here clean our LPs and other records with them laying on newpaper, I was wondering if newspaper would make a good material to use for making good replacement inner sleeves on the cheap with commonly available materials. What do the rest of you guys think?
NOBODY lays their records on newspaper while cleaning. So don't try to justify a bad practice by imagining that anyone else is doing it.
Please ignore the recommendations for using poly lined paper innersleeves. If you want to see how the glue degrades in these sleeves and then imprints unsightly markings on vinyl, just come out to Wyoming and I'll show you dozens of records so afflicted. Polypropylene innersleeves are the best option from an archival standpoint.
Nasty inks, high acid content paper, lots of dust and loose paper fibers...that's 3 BIG strikes against having newspaper anywhere even close to my precious vinyl.