• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Next Upgrade - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

skyline315

Active Member
Hey all...

I'm still fairly new to the TT game...I've had my debut carbon for about 6 months now and am looking to make my first upgrade for it. My current setup is:

Debut Carbon-->Pro-Ject Phono Box V USB-->Schiit Asgard or Onkyo Receiver-->DT880 headphones or Pioneer Speakers.

I use a carbon fiber brush and a ME on the stylus before every play and store my records in Mofi master sleeves.

So, my upgrade list consists of:

1) Spin-clean - $79 - I'm currently using paint pads, a home brew solution, microfiber towels, and distilled water. Before you bring it up, most vaccuum machines are out of my budget.

2) Pro-Ject Speed Box S - $129

3) Pro-Ject Acrylic Platter - $129

So, my question...what should be my priority order on those 3? I can really only afford one of these every few months, so this will be my summer audio splurge. Advice?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd probably do it in the order you listed. Should make for nice upgrades!
Thanks!

You think the spinclean will give me the greatest audio improvement? Being new to this, I wasn't sure how effective my current cleaning methods were since I've never tried an alternative.

So far I've only purchased new LPs (which I realize still need cleaning), so I haven't gotten any especially nasty garage sale finds to clean up or anything.
 
I agree with Bigerik -- the order you've laid out for upgrades makes a lot of sense. The one change I'd recommend if your budget will stretch that far is a low-cost vacuum record-cleaning machine instead of the Spin Clean. The latest version of Audio Advisor's Record Doctor is only $199 and is based on Nitty Gritty's technology. I have one of the earlier versions of the Record Doctor, and I can tell you that it does a great job of cleaning records.
 
I haven't used a spin clean, but everything I have heard about it is very positive. Clean records always make a huge difference.
 
... Clean records always make a huge difference.

A big +1 on this observation. I was amazed at how much of a difference the Record Doctor made in my vinyl playback. My records had less noise and more dynamics and detail after a machine cleaning than they ever had when I was using the Discwasher system to clean them.
 
Investing the additional funds for the Record Doctor will pay off in the long run and will be the most worthwhile upgrade of the the three listed. I havn't used the Spin Clean either but I had a Record Doctor and the results were excellent.
 
Yeah, I get that the Record Doctor would be preferred for the vacuum aspect of it. It's not really a question of whether or not it's better, but whether or not it's $120 better. If I'm going to spend $200, I'd be more inclined to get the spin clean and speed box.
 
The Record Doctor is all of $120 better and then some, as many have said, myself included, the biggest sonic upgrade you will ever make to your analog system is by adding a RCM. If on a limited budget get the best your money can buy.
 
Thanks for the advice, gents, but I opted for the spin clean. Feel free to crucify me for my ignorance and short-sightedness. A year or so from now if I end up buying a record doctor, I'll be sure to come back here and tell you that you were right. :P
 
Thanks for the advice, gents, but I opted for the spin clean.

Be sure to wash the brush/pads thoroughly with some detergent befor using them.

There had been reports of the dye coming off and induced crackly sound to LPs.

Spin Clean may have fix the problem by now though, not sure. :scratch2:
 
Something to consider when thinking of upgrading: if you're intending to keep the deck, that's fine. If you think you'll be moving up the ladder to a better turntable, upgrades probably aren't worth it as you'll not get your money back when it comes to reselling the item. I'm thinking of the Pro-ject in particular, as those upgrades aren't cheap.

I suspect the spin clean or other record cleaner is the best improvement you'll make.
 
Be sure to wash the brush/pads thoroughly with some detergent befor using them.

There had been reports of the dye coming off and induced crackly sound to LPs.

Spin Clean may have fix the problem by now though, not sure. :scratch2:
Will do. Thanks for the tip!

Something to consider when thinking of upgrading: if you're intending to keep the deck, that's fine. If you think you'll be moving up the ladder to a better turntable, upgrades probably aren't worth it as you'll not get your money back when it comes to reselling the item. I'm thinking of the Pro-ject in particular, as those upgrades aren't cheap.

I suspect the spin clean or other record cleaner is the best improvement you'll make.
If I do upgrade, it will be quite a while down the road. My budget for audio gear is minimal.

Thanks for looking out...
 
Another reason for the Record Doctor recommendation other than it's superior performance to the Spin Clean is that if you should ever sell it your going to get a much larger percentage of what you paid for it back. Many sellers of RCMs who purchased one years ago have resold the RCM for the same amount they originally paid for it, used it for years at no cost. If on a tight budget I'd recommend you consider preowned equipment, there's a fairly big turnover in newer entry level equipment that's only been lightly used for weeks/months with the owners selling/tradeing in for equipment higher up the chain. Possible the equipment is still under warranty and saw little use and is like new.
 
Back
Top Bottom