• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Nice, cheap, new Acasia wood 12" speaker stands. What finish to use?

Old Guy8

Cliff & Cleo
Subscriber
20250605_131953.jpg20250605_100759.jpg20250605_094549.jpg
Bought these foot stools for large bookshelf speakers. Look unfinished to me. But, the Seller describes as "clear" finish Acasia wood.
Edit: Looks like I'll be leaving finish as is.
Over 1000 Acasia varieties. 12" cube size. Stable. I could add spikes if desired.

$87/pair shipped, off Walmart marketplace.

I wanted a darker rich look.

Thanks,
OG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'd grab a can of the Watco in dark walnut and cherry, try a bit on the underside and see which you prefer.
The dark walnut brought out the red in my recently refinished KEF 104/2's with fresh African Mahogany veneer... but I doubt the Acasia will do the same.IMG_9869.jpeg
 
I'd grab a can of the Watco in dark walnut and cherry, try a bit on the underside and see which you prefer.
The dark walnut brought out the red in my recently refinished KEF 104/2's with fresh African Mahogany veneer... but I doubt the Acasia will do the same.View attachment 3520437
Thanks for post.
Those look nice!

I used Dark Walnut Danish oil on bamboo. It is a grass. But, it didn't like to absorb.

Online, I see teak oil is also used on Acasia. It is harder than oak.
 
View attachment 3520385View attachment 3520386View attachment 3520387
Bought these foot stools for large bookshelf speakers. Look unfinished to me. Seller describes as "clear" finish Acasia wood. Over 1000 Acasia varieties. 12" cube size. Stable. I could add spikes if desired.

$87/pair shipped, off Walmart marketplace.

I want a darker rich look. I don't think I need a sealing varnish or poly coat. finish.
Oil base stain, walnut or dark cherry?
Or, dark walnut Watco Danish oil?
Or?
I can test on under side.
I have very limited finishing experience.

Thanks,
OG
A clear coat finish is possibly on there.
If so
They are sealed, no stain will penatrate
 
A clear coat finish is possibly on there.
If so
They are sealed, no stain will penatrate
I asked the seller what is on them. Not yet answered. Will see.
Thanks.

Edit: No info from seller yet, if has finish. But, same stool on Amazon says it's treated with water based oil(?)
Other sellers may be offering different stains and painted finishes.

Guess they are staying this natural color.

They seam quite stable stands. Have not added spikes.

Edit: They have a clear sealer on them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom