• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nice Laserdisc score today...

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Walked into a GW today and found about 60 LD titles. A lot of good titles but could only select 20 of them.

Discs worth mentioning;

Fantasia - Included commemorative lithograph and program
Dr.Strangelove - Criterion collection
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Blade Runner- Criterion collection
Chinatown

Several music discs;

Fleetwood Mac - In Concert Mirage tour 82'
Queen -Greatest Flix
The Concert for Bangladesh
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Roy Orbison & Friends " A Black and White Night"
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
AC/DC - Live at Donington
 

Attachments

  • Laser Discs 004.jpg
    Laser Discs 004.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
Register to hide this ad
Bladerunner! How's it look? Do you have a player? I could never get over the loud spin up sounds on the laserdisc players that I had. But I remember when that was the highest def format and it blew tape away. Now I have the BluRay and it looks even better. Nice find.
 
Walked into a GW today and found about 60 LD titles. A lot of good titles but could only select 20 of them.

Discs worth mentioning;

Fantasia - Included commemorative lithograph and program
Dr.Strangelove - Criterion collection
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Blade Runner- Criterion collection
Chinatown

Several music discs;

Fleetwood Mac - In Concert Mirage tour 82'
Queen -Greatest Flix
The Concert for Bangladesh
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Roy Orbison & Friends " A Black and White Night"
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
AC/DC - Live at Donington

Nice grab! I'd have been all over those, but you knew that already. :D

Great to see you today...

je
 
Nice grab! I'd have been all over those, but you knew that already. :D

Great to see you today...

je

Yeah it was a nice get together. Was thinking about that Elite player on the way like I knew I would..... :scratch2:

You might still hear from me on that one.
 
Great find...I love my laserdiscs! Haven't found too many in the past two years, though. I honestly think that some folks are simply throwing them away. As a matter of fact, our local dump has a small hill consisting entirely of "The Abyss" box sets!
 
Great find! I only have a handful of titles. I had the legendary John Carpenter autographed my Halloween laserdisk!
 
I have a Yamaha Laserdisc player (can't remember the model, but it had both Laserdisc and CD drawers). I use it with the ADP-1 AC3 RF adapter. Over the weekend I tore apart my family room which has two seperate systems set up within one entertainment center, a Sony/Klipsch and a Emotiva Legacy systems. The Klipsch system has the Laserdisc.

I had forgotten how old the player was, but realized when I saw that it has only composite and S-video outputs. For the longest time it displayed the best sound and video of "The Hunt for Red October" and "Fantasia". To me the DVDs were horrible and was the reason I kept the laserdisc player. It wasn't until they came out on Blu-ray I found respectible versions of both sound and video.

Soon after my purchase of Fantasia I was at a Columbia House warehouse record sale I found the box set of the Star Wars original three movies on laserdiscs in CAV format. The set was going for $250 retail, but I got it for $30 and the booklet hadn't been opened. I can honestly say tha after watching Star Wars in this format I was hooked into the hobby. I haven't looked back. I still own about 70+ laserdiscs.
 
I honestly think that some folks are simply throwing them away. As a matter of fact, our local dump has a small hill consisting entirely of "The Abyss" box sets!

Oh yeah, I threw at least a couple of hundred away, the damned things are difficult to even give away and more trouble than they're worth to sell, to me anyway. That pretty well puts them in the category of junk.
 
Noooooo....don't throw any more away. Offer 'em to the AK crowd, put an ad in Craigslist and say "come get these darn things", anything but tossin' them out.
 
I have a Yamaha Laserdisc player (can't remember the model, but it had both Laserdisc and CD drawers). I use it with the ADP-1 AC3 RF adapter. Over the weekend I tore apart my family room which has two seperate systems set up within one entertainment center, a Sony/Klipsch and a Emotiva Legacy systems. The Klipsch system has the Laserdisc.

I had forgotten how old the player was, but realized when I saw that it has only composite and S-video outputs. For the longest time it displayed the best sound and video of "The Hunt for Red October" and "Fantasia". To me the DVDs were horrible and was the reason I kept the laserdisc player. It wasn't until they came out on Blu-ray I found respectible versions of both sound and video.

Soon after my purchase of Fantasia I was at a Columbia House warehouse record sale I found the box set of the Star Wars original three movies on laserdiscs in CAV format. The set was going for $250 retail, but I got it for $30 and the booklet hadn't been opened. I can honestly say tha after watching Star Wars in this format I was hooked into the hobby. I haven't looked back. I still own about 70+ laserdiscs.
The very reason for me having a Laser disk was the original SW trilogy. As luck would have it, shortly after buying the disks, at a reasonable price (just a tad more than the $30 you paid) a friend gave me a non-functional Pioneer. After cleaning the insides, including cleaning the laser, it's been functioning just fine. Look forward to acquiring a more high end unit down the road.
 
Noooooo....don't throw any more away. Offer 'em to the AK crowd, put an ad in Craigslist and say "come get these darn things", anything but tossin' them out.

If I remember correctly, he DID offer 'em to AK for pickup, and at least some of them for the price of shipping.

je
 
Noooooo....don't throw any more away. Offer 'em to the AK crowd, put an ad in Craigslist and say "come get these darn things", anything but tossin' them out.

I have. They were still a hassle to get rid of; once I made a 150 mile round trip drive to give some LDs to an AKer. That's not a sensible way of getting rid of unwanted stuff.

I took some a few miles out to Oak Park for Prisoners and he (who owns a pizza joint) gave me a large quantity of Italian beef for them, that was a good deal. But he's a good guy and I would've given him the LDs for no compensation, the beef was more a show of appreciation than a bargain. Next time I need to dump LDs (such as the THX Star Wars set which will soon need to go) I'll see if he wants them. The LDs I keep are those unavailble on better formats and that number keeps decreasing, indeed many I kept such as "A Child is Waiting" are now available on Netflix streaming. Eventually I'll probably be down to just "The Lighthorsemen", "Young Man with a Horn" and the box set of the premier roadshow version of The Waynamo. ;)

When I start cleaning house the things I decide have to go usually go right now; books, LDs, clothing, shoes or whatever, out to dumpster. For me that's the best way to get things done and avoid clutter; I hate clutter.
 
Last edited:
Yeah it was a nice get together. Was thinking about that Elite player on the way like I knew I would..... :scratch2:

You might still hear from me on that one.

:D

:angel:

attachment.php


attachment.php


...and just 'cause I was rearranging, here's the shelf of 'spare' DVLs (plus a cool Lexicon LDD-1):

attachment.php


je
 

Attachments

  • CLD-59nf (Large).jpg
    CLD-59nf (Large).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 192
  • CLD-59 (Large).jpg
    CLD-59 (Large).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DVLs (Large).jpg
    DVLs (Large).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 189
Picked some more up in the past two weeks at one of the SA's for the usual $1 a piece...... :D

Grosse Pointe Blank
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Full Metal Jacket
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Prizzi's Honor
Kalifornia
Raising Arizona
Trading Places
 
The Pioneer CLD-59 is a nice unit. I keep one in my main AV signal source cluster, and aside from a mild(to the point that I barely notice it) vertically rolling horizontal noise bar that I suspect is from a ground loop or PS circuit bugs, I can't find a bad thing about it.

My local thrifts are great. Every few months more LDs materialize there, and two of my three players came from there to boot.
 
Found a Pioneer CLD-2710K for 5 bucks
no s-video

but plays both sides (a and b buttons) and has multiple rca jacks
was a Karoke unit
 
Back
Top Bottom