• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nichicon Capacitor Range

brud

Active Member
Hello all

I always struggle when I look up the Nichicon website of WHICH capacitor RANGE to choose .

Most commonly this relates to Power Supply capacitors. I tend to always look for the higher temp rating ones , however the range is daunting.

Can someone help guide me here please

Thankyou
 
Register to hide this ad
For power supply capacitors, personally I chose the ranges with the lowest ESR - like HE or PW or HW - they can have a restricted range of voltage ratings (like 50V being the top limit) in which case I switch to another range if I need higher voltage ratings, like you I always seek out the higher temperature rating. They also can be available in up to 3 different sizes for the same value and voltage - I prefer the shorter, fatter ones to the taller, thinner 'pencil thin' looking size.

I sometimes use Panasonic capacitors, FM or FR being an obvious choice for me, FC are also very good but I regard them as very good all-rounders rather than go-to PSU capacitors.

I hope this helps. ;)
 
Last edited:
Nichicon UPW is my choice for 10-4700u(?) general psu duties. For main filter caps, I'm not a fan of Nichicon KG series (tan delta)
and would opt for United Chemi-con KMH or SMH, for larger amps and even Nichicon KW for smaller amps, eg, 10000uf/50V.
 
Back
Top Bottom