• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nichicon PW vs HE, how compared to Pany FC?

billbillw

Well-Known Member
Nichicon PW vs HE, compare to Pany FC?

I'm trying to choose some capacitors to redo part of the power supply section in my Parasound HCA-2200ii amp.

Basically looking at 220uf/100v and 47uf/100v. I've narrowed down to Nichicon PW and HE series or Panasonic FC based on availability at Digikey.

What are the main differences between the PW and HE series? How do they compare to the Panasonic FC?

Its hard to tell from the data sheets. Which one is considered better? Currently, the HE series is cheapest and the FC is the most expensive.
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I went out on a limb and decided to get the HE parts where available and the PW for the others. Based on discussion at some other websites, it appears the HE parts are supposed to be equivalent to the Panny FM series, while the PW is equivalent to the FC series. Not sure why they are cheaper, but hey, I'm not complaining.
 
On some of the odd value caps, for which there are no panasonic FC or FM caps in stock, the nichicon are the only other option (if you are ordering through Digikey that is).
 
Well, this job is history.

The goal was to fix a persistent hum in the right channel as well as to lower the noise floor of the amp. I noticed that some of my electrolytic caps weren't looking so hot and I had already fixed a cold solder joint in the secondary power supply. The hum went away for awhile, but came back, probably due to leaky caps.

I talked to Parasound and Tony recommended that I change out a couple pair of small transistors as well as the E-caps. Took awhile to spec replacement transistors because many of the parts are obsolete on this 15 year old amp. I did find some suitable replacements made by Fairchild (BC639/640) and ordered them along with the previously mentioned Nichicon HE/PW caps. Probably talking less than $20 worth of parts.

Did the job last night, took about 3 hours all told. Found out that my suspicions of leaky caps were correct. There was one or two leaky caps in each channel.

The caps in question are the light blue ones that are clustered together. Here is what they looked like before.

HCA22001.jpg

HCA22002.jpg


The caps used by Parasound were Richey, rated at 85 and as far as I can tell, the are probably rated at 2000 hour life. I'm sure over the last 13ish years, this amp has seen more than 2000 hours of use (that would only be 15 hours/month)


After the job...the Nichicons look much better, don't they?
HCA22005.jpg

HCA22006.jpg


The Nichicons are all rated at 105C and have a life of 8000-10000 hours depending on the size. Hopefully, these should give 15-20 years of solid life since they won't see the 105C temp very often, if at all.

Anyway, after changing all these parts out, the noise floor on the amp dropped to completely undetectable by ear. I mean, with my ear right next to the tweeter or mid, I can't hear ANYTHING until I turn on the preamp and a source. Before, I could hear faint noise from both channels, plus the hum in the right channel. The overall effect of this is a noticeable improvement in low level detail. Well worth the effort and minimal money spent.

Another example of electrolytic caps going bad before anything else in the circuit.

I next plan to go through the input board and replace all the E caps in there and remove some extra tacked on cheapy film caps that were installed by Parasound in Taiwan (but not initially spec'd by John Curl). Mr. Curl talks about these mods over either DIYAudio or Audioasylum, can't remember, but I've seen it before.
 
I figured you would know. I almost sent you a PM, but decided to post in the forum and have it out there for others who are faced with the same choices.

I'm sorry to drag this one up again, but I thought you'd like to know this thread helped me make my choice.

Thanks. :thmbsp:
 
Well, this job is history.

The goal was to fix a persistent hum in the right channel as well as to lower the noise floor of the amp. I noticed that some of my electrolytic caps weren't looking so hot and I had already fixed a cold solder joint in the secondary power supply. The hum went away for awhile, but came back, probably due to leaky caps.

I talked to Parasound and Tony recommended that I change out a couple pair of small transistors as well as the E-caps. Took awhile to spec replacement transistors because many of the parts are obsolete on this 15 year old amp. I did find some suitable replacements made by Fairchild (BC639/640) and ordered them along with the previously mentioned Nichicon HE/PW caps. Probably talking less than $20 worth of parts.

Did the job last night, took about 3 hours all told. Found out that my suspicions of leaky caps were correct. There was one or two leaky caps in each channel.

The caps in question are the light blue ones that are clustered together. Here is what they looked like before.

The caps used by Parasound were Richey, rated at 85 and as far as I can tell, the are probably rated at 2000 hour life. I'm sure over the last 13ish years, this amp has seen more than 2000 hours of use (that would only be 15 hours/month)


After the job...the Nichicons look much better, don't they?

The Nichicons are all rated at 105C and have a life of 8000-10000 hours depending on the size. Hopefully, these should give 15-20 years of solid life since they won't see the 105C temp very often, if at all.

Anyway, after changing all these parts out, the noise floor on the amp dropped to completely undetectable by ear. I mean, with my ear right next to the tweeter or mid, I can't hear ANYTHING until I turn on the preamp and a source. Before, I could hear faint noise from both channels, plus the hum in the right channel. The overall effect of this is a noticeable improvement in low level detail. Well worth the effort and minimal money spent.

Another example of electrolytic caps going bad before anything else in the circuit.

I next plan to go through the input board and replace all the E caps in there and remove some extra tacked on cheapy film caps that were installed by Parasound in Taiwan (but not initially spec'd by John Curl). Mr. Curl talks about these mods over either DIYAudio or Audioasylum, can't remember, but I've seen it before.

Hi, did you make the mods "replace all the E caps in there & remove some extra tacked on cheapy film caps" ? how does it sound? any photos? also what is the type of the old transistor and the values of the caps. any details of the mods is much appreciated. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom