• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No bass

I like Disc 2 because it uses a bass guitar. :rockon:

Presumably putting the Ralph the Christmas Dog out of work, who is likely now destitute :). Go ahead and cheer Mr. Scrooge :). (cue Sara McLaughlin song)

I only vaguely remember the disc, last time I played it was probably early 1990's.

 
Last edited:
Do you have another program source you can try? At least traditionally, television is not known for a wide frequency range.

When I put my TV audio -via the optical output- thru my Schitt MODI 3, I get all kinds of bass I didn't know existed based on what the TV speakers do. Recently, I didn't realize the TV audio was coming thru the stereo and I thought there was a truck making a delivery to the house.
 
I’m sure there not out of phase but I will check that, ty
U had me at Klipsch? I thought they were known for great bass?
Just flip one channel's speaker wire (red to black) and give them a listen. You will know immediately if they were out of phase.

Do this with one pair of speakers at a time. Then listen to all four wired together.

Good luck!

Please report back!


:thumbsup:
 
My speaker selector works good, but it takes work, since I unhook one pair and hook up another pair (at times involves moving the speakers also).
I owned several different selectors and they too worked good, but that’s not the point. My speakers sounded different when using the selectors. Even though the selectors I owned were refurbished, I still preferred the speaker's sound without the selector connected.
But hey, I get it regarding the amount of work needed to hook /unhook the speakers. Hopefully the OP finds the solution to the problem.
 
Last edited:
AI to the rescue (before it kills us all! :) :( :eek:)

Summary: In "normal" mode, the Adcom selectors insert 2.5 ohm resisters into the circuit to support the case where you want to drive multiple speakers pairs at the same, so that impedance doesn't drop too low for amplifiers. These resisters reduce the damping factor and weaken the bass, but keeps the amp safe while driving multiple speaker pairs. In the case where only one speaker pair is being used at a time, the bypass switch on the front panel should be pushed to bypass the added resisters, which should restore bass.

It sounds like the problem can be eliminated by clicking the bypass button (or removing the speaker selector). Since both Klipsch speakers are 8 ohms, and the Adcom GFA-555 can reportedly drive 4 ohm and even lower, the OP could probably play both speakers with the bypass button pressed -- but confirm that before traying.

Cut & Paste of AI:

An Adcom speaker selector (such as the GFS-3 or GFS-6) limits bass output because its Minimum Impedance Protection circuit inserts series power resistors into the audio path. These resistors interact with the complex impedance load of your speakers, causing low-frequency attenuation and reducing damping factor, which weakens bass response. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Why This Happens
    • Protective Resistors: Adcom units use heavy-duty resistors (around 2.5 ohms) to keep the total load safe for the amplifier when multiple speaker pairs are turned on. [1, 2, 3]
    • Damping Factor Loss: Adding resistance between your amplifier and speakers lowers the amp's control over the woofer cone, making bass sound thin, loose, or quiet.

How to Fix It


    • Disable Protection (If Safe): If you are only running a single pair of speakers and your amplifier is rated for that speaker's impedance, turn off or bypass the impedance protection switch on the Adcom selector if your model supports it.
    • Check Wiring Polarity: Ensure your speaker wires are hooked up correctly (+ to +, - to -). Out-of-phase wiring cancels out low frequencies.
    • Remove the Selector: Test the speakers directly connected to the amplifier. If full bass returns, the passive resistance of the selector box is the confirmed cause.
    s-l1600.jpg

  • s-l1600.jpg
 
I briefly had a pair of Klipsch RP600m mkII speakers, powered by a Marantz 2270 receiver and I found them to have pretty weak bass. I can't vouch for other Klipsch speakers, though.
 
It's nice when the OP replies one way or another. Kinda puts a bow on the thing.

:thumbsup:
One of my favorites is the guy going on and on about a certain piece of gear for weeks, should I get it, is it better than this or that, the measurements over at ASSR say it's probably the best etc. Three pages of replies from members . Then he finally he says "I ordered it, it will be here tommorrow, I'll tell you how it sounds after the weekend." Never to return.
 
So I’m running Klipsch epic cf-4 I think there called and also chorus 2’s powered by an adcom gfa555 and adcom gfp915 preamp
I toggle the speakers back and forth with an adcom speaker selector
But I’m noticing I don’t have much bass
Now I’m feeding music in from YouTube on my tv.
I mean WTF!
I should have alot of bass
Any ideas y I don’t?
Well it is certainly not your amp or preamp. I used to have two GFA-555s myself previously, and the predecessor to the 915, the 815. The amp and preamp are awesome. The speaker selector should also not be the issue. I would look into the source unit of what you are playing. The music feed from You Tube premium I have always found to be substandard. Now for music videos, it is hit or miss. That is where I would be looking, you may not be getting a proper signal. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom