• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No debates: what speaker wires, cables or interconnects do you prefer and use?

I use Zebra Cables for most of my ICs, Soundstring power cables (from Venus HiFi - BrianB) and I have one set of Gabriel Gold ICs between my Manley Mahis and Shrimp. For the Gabriels, I couldn't afford a new set and a friend offered me a used, broken-in pair since he was upgrading. I did a blind test and the difference between the Gabriels and my original cables was stunning.
 
My speaker cables are 16ga lamp cord from the lighting dept at Home Depot. I prefer the clear insulation, two-color conductor type because my failing eyesight has trouble finding the polarity rib molded into solid color cable.

My interconnects are a mixed bag of old OEM cables that came with various pieces of equipment and recording snakes and jumpers of various lengths that I got in an oddlot box of stuff from a recording studio near me that closed up shop. A lot of the cables had been well-used, but some were still in their original bags from suppliers like Tascam, Mogami and Hosa. I don't think any of them qualify as bona fide "high end" interconnects, but I figure if they were good enough to record with they ought to be good enough to play back with.
 
Still using the Monster Cable, RCA video grade and Acoustic Research cables that I bought el-cheapo from Princess Auto here in Edmonton.

Don't get me wrong: I like quality stuff like the rest of us here, but I firmly believe in paying as little as possible for quality stuff. LOL :D
 
I am a big fan of Sonic Link cables (now Black Rhodium). I use a pair of AST 150 as speakers cables. I also have a pair of braided cables from IXOS and MIT MH-750.

For interconnects, I use Synergistic Research for tubes and Audioquest for solid state.
 
From Steve Hoffman:
Vintage Stereo, use Vintage Cables.

---

Took his advice and found a pair of 1980 Sansui Hi-Fi 23' long each speaker cables in Ireland via British eBay. Bought them. Royal Mail took 6 weeks to deliver them to Fla.

Wow.

I was really amazed at the improvement of sound coming out of my speakers cause I just didn't believe the cable hype 'at all'. Been looking for another pair now for over a 1.5-2 years...daily on 5 eBays. It's mission impossible to the max. I really super lucked out the first time on these.

Saw a pair of Vintage Pioneer speaker cables but it came with a bunch of other cables and I didn't need the other cables. I'm cabled out already.
Should of bought em all. All 1980s or so. Yeah, I should of bought them all. But that's ok.

Vintage Stereo, use Vintage Cable. It's got some kind of magic. Or maybe the cables were designed for 1970-1980 analog rigs.

All I know is: I was and still am amazed. I'm guarding these cables like gold. In fact, when I die I want to be buried with em for the stereo in the hear after!! LOL :>)

Yeah...I want to be buried with my Sansui Speaker Cables, for sure!!
 
Last edited:
I have just upgraded my gear and was able to take part in a beta-test for a new cable manufacturer. Apparently they just started out and were looking for folks to try the cables and give feedback. They let us keep all the cables they have given and continue to give us...pretty cool being in on a new products development.
They (WyWires) supplied me with 2, 1M interconnects-RCA-RCA, and later on supplied me with 2, 8ft. speaker cables that I asked to be left unterminated-just tinned ends.
They instantly made my system sound better, and each cable just added to the clarity and detail presented in the music. I and all the other guys who tried these cables were struck by how acoustic instruments-cymbals especially- stand out as so realistic and natural sounding. I was a drummer for most of my life and I know how cymbals and drums sound-these cables brought all those qualities with great detail
and no listener fatigue.
So I'm currently using:
WyWires- "Hot Sauce" Line IN
WyWires- "Honey" Line IN
WyWires- Speaker Cables
They will stay in my system until they are dethroned which will most probably be never. Its hard to explain unless you hear them...and I know they have a 60 day return policy if you don't like them which everybody so far does. I was a complete cable skeptic until these cables arrived, I don't know what they are doing that is so special but it works for me!!
Ed
 
Being a life-long cheapskate (like Father, like Son), I've gravitated to two cable companies:

Blue Jean Cable.....LS-1 interconnects ($35), Belden 10awg speaker wire (80 cents/foot).
Heartland Cable.....Canare cable & plugs interconnects ($30), Canare 4S11 cable & Vampire banana speaker wire ($70).

Both outstanding companies, with good reputations.
Heartland Cables is a much smaller company than BJC.
Quality wise, it's extremely close!
I'd probably have to give the nod though to Heartland, although their interconnects and speaker cable are stiffer than the ones from BJC.

Steve
 
The music system has basic 10-gauge Monster Cable purchased sometime in the '80s & gold plated banana plugs. Aside from being a bit dusty these cables look as good as they did when purchased more than 20 years ago.

The AV system has the smaller 14-gauge Monster Cable. I had tried some of the cheap "speaker wire" sold at Home Depot but the ends oxidized and the insulation turned from clear into a weird yellow within two years. The Monster Cable is still okay after more than a decade.
 
Interconnects: combination of custom cables made by local audio lab and Blue Jeans cables.

Speaker wire: 12ga 2 conductor landscape wire from Home Depot.

I'm actually a little surprised so many people use monster cable...
 
In my main system I use Kimber PR4 cables but I haven't had the money or patience to swap them for anything else.

In my bedroom and office I took some Carol Froghide extension cords and used them. The results are excellent. These are super flexible 12 gauge 3 conductor cables. I only use two of the conductors. Only problem is the bright green. Eventually I'll get some black cable sleeve.
 
12 or 14 ga speaker wire. Plenty of copper is the key. I solder the ends.

I use better than average generic interconnects. Not enough voltage in the signal to justify the boutique stuff.
 
I use Audioquest interconnects, balanced and unbalanced depending on the source, as well as a phase inverted Audioquest balanced cable from preamp to amp due to different pin standards of those two units. My speaker cables are audioquest as well, but not really as nice as my interconnects as I couldn't afford what they wanted. Only the phase inverted cable was bought new (I ordered it from them though could have made one myself I suppose), the rest were used or on closeout from our Tweeter store that went out of business. My power cords are all giant aftermarket things that came with my (used) gear, I have no idea what brands they are but somebody paid a chunk of change for them. Anyway, the whole system is dead-silent. I have a $1000 balanced cable on loan right now as part of a home demo of a CD player...I really hope there's no noticeable drop in performance when I take the cable back (I'm keeping the player). Even if there is, I'll find a cheaper alternative as I need a new Cartridge more than a new balanced cable.
 
Last edited:
Latest layout

Tri-Amped Magnepan MGIIIa's with NHT W2 Passive Subs

NHT W2 - Spelz Anti cable 12Ga OFC Solid core
MGIIIa -
Bass Panels - 12Ga. Sound King Fine Strand OFC
Midrange Panels - 12ga. Belden 5000eu Med Strand OFC
Ribbon Tweeters - 22ga. X3 Solid Silver Mil Spec (Braided)

Interconnects
Source - Audiomagic Excaliber II
Pre -Xover - Power amps - DIY 22ga. Silver plated Mil spec OFC
Regards,
Jim
 
Last edited:
Vampire wire

I bought a pair of B&W DM310s and a Luxman R-1050 in May. The guy threw in 30 feet of almost new Vampire speaker cable. According to Google, this blue and orange wire went for more than four bucks per foot when the company was still manufacturing it.

Sounds as good as any speaker cable I have. Anyone else have this company's cable?
 
Speakers: Zip cord, fairly heavy gauge.
Interconnects: I've been making my own out of the component video cables my cable TV company provides and some nice Neutrik gold plated RCA jacks I bought from Mouser. The component video cable capacitance measured lower than any of the other cables I had lying around, and the cable TV company is fairly generous about supplying these cables free. I got a couple of sets when I got my service, and I've had to exchange my cable box twice in the last three years. Each time I exchange it I ask if they can give me another set of cables, this last time the guy gave me two sets. I'm set for a long time with the stuff!
 
I use Tara Labs Prism Klara speaker cables on my "Computer Room" system Sansui QRX-6500 / Sansui QRX-6001 / Marantz 4400 (..in rotation) and decade old Radio Shack "Mega Cable" cheapie speaker cable on the Living Room system...currently a Luxman 1050. The Mega Cable in particular seems to love vintage components and it's stopped me dead with how good it can sound.

Interconnects, used to be QED Qnect 1, but they were bounced for cheap Chinese "ilink" interconnects I found at a local thrift store which cost $5 a pair as opposed to the ridiculous $160 a pair the (entry level..!!) Qnect 1 cost here in Oz. The "ilink" seems to be a bit clearer and much more involving than the Qnect 1 but slightly brighter at the top end.

I tried a dozen very very expensive audiophile brands years ago with fancy names..(Crystal Reference Master..etc...or names like that.....can't remember exactly...) and was unimpressed...you'd always seem to get detail, but somehow lose involvement.

I'm quite happy with the modest cable stuff I've got now...:)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom