• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No "fake gearshifts" for Porsche electric cars.

init4fun

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Subscriber

Having driven an electric car, the one thing that most impressed me beyond the instant full torque of the electric drive was that the slight hesitation of an ICE's shifts wasn't there. I agree fully with Porsche, why hobble it with fake gearshifts in a misplaced homage to the past. I'm perfectly happy to shift when driving ICE, and see no rational reason for fake gerashifts in a car that has no gear shifting required....
 
Register to hide this ad
Fake EV shifting with an electric car is like a manual transmission is to an automatic....It's just more fun for some folks! Except in stop and go traffic with a manual. It's not necessarily more efficient or faster with recent cars.

So why not offer the option to customers.
 
"Fake gear shifting"

I did not need to know that was a thing. I'll pretend I never opened this thread....
5 or 6 years ago, my neighbor bought the hot Camero. Nice car. Started w a lumpy idle, would backfire on downshift just like a 60's muscle car w a hot cam, advanced timing & carbs set too rich. It was a rumbly thing.
Of course, it had variable valve timing, Fuel injection & electronic ignition.
The sounds were 100% fake. I think they'd be fun for about 15 minutes.

Was a nice car other than the silly noise thing.
When he was looking to get a new one I said I'd beat whatever the dealer offered as a trade. But the dealer made him a really crazy good offer.
Don't know how dealers stay in business w all the really crazy good offers they gift to their customers.

My neighbor was awful close to 80 YO if not 80+ but he loved his hot Cameros w manual trans. Don't think the engines ever saw over 3k rpm.
He was a good guy & great neighbor.
 
5 or 6 years ago, my neighbor bought the hot Camero. Nice car. Started w a lumpy idle, would backfire on downshift just like a 60's muscle car w a hot cam, advanced timing & carbs set too rich. It was a rumbly thing.
Of course, it had variable valve timing, Fuel injection & electronic ignition.
The sounds were 100% fake. I think they'd be fun for about 15 minutes.

Was a nice car other than the silly noise thing.
When he was looking to get a new one I said I'd beat whatever the dealer offered as a trade. But the dealer made him a really crazy good offer.
Don't know how dealers stay in business w all the really crazy good offers they gift to their customers.

My neighbor was awful close to 80 YO if not 80+ but he loved his hot Cameros w manual trans. Don't think the engines ever saw over 3k rpm.
He was a good guy & great neighbor.

Hi Bob,

Not being the spelling police, but, there is no "E" in "Camaro" ;)
 
I'm told that many electric cars have a system of making phony "exhaust sounds" for the driver. Man, that's seriously dumb.

I agree, I would never ever want an electric car to have fake exhaust sounds any more than I'd want one to have fake shifts.

With that said, I have seen one awesome application of fake engine sounds, it just wasn't in the automotive world.

For those who build RC airplanes, specifically "scale" models (Exact replicas of full sized aircraft, with every rivet and other small detail exactly as the "real" airplane has), there are sound systems for electric brushless motor powered models that do a pretty good job of replicating the sound of a real radial engine.

View the first 10 seconds or so of this UTube video to hear one in action, this one may not be a full "scale" model, but it's sure got the sound nailed;

 
Back
Top Bottom