evergreen22
New Member
I was recently given an old Sony STR-4800SD receiver (+speakers and turn table) from a friend who found the set up in the barn at a property they purchased. I hooked everything up and it seems to work great playing records, but I'm having trouble with the FM tuner.
When I set the function selector to FM and tune to where I know there are strong stations both the SIGNAL and FM TUNING meters show that I'm receiving a strong signal, but there isn't any sound coming from the speakers. I can pick up and hear AM stations just fine.
I tried toggling both the FM MUTING and DOLBY FM switches and they don't have any impact. I also opened up the receiver to take a look inside and it all looks pretty clean and in good shape, but I don't have any experience messing around with boards like this so don't know what I might be looking for in there.
I'm brand new to this world of audio equipment and electronics, but not afraid of digging around and learning. Does anyone have ideas on where I should start for troubleshooting this problem (or if its even feasible to fix)?
When I set the function selector to FM and tune to where I know there are strong stations both the SIGNAL and FM TUNING meters show that I'm receiving a strong signal, but there isn't any sound coming from the speakers. I can pick up and hear AM stations just fine.
I tried toggling both the FM MUTING and DOLBY FM switches and they don't have any impact. I also opened up the receiver to take a look inside and it all looks pretty clean and in good shape, but I don't have any experience messing around with boards like this so don't know what I might be looking for in there.
I'm brand new to this world of audio equipment and electronics, but not afraid of digging around and learning. Does anyone have ideas on where I should start for troubleshooting this problem (or if its even feasible to fix)?