• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

Terrible speakers? Oh, boy! I've had a few duds.

1. Infinity 2000A with Walsh tweeter (thunk! Thunk!)
2. JBL Lancer 44
The 2000a has an electrostatic tweeter array;)
2000A_1_1.jpg
 
The 2000-II do have a Walsh tweeter but my pair sound very good.
Hard to say why the difference, too many factors at play.
 
The 2000-II do have a Walsh tweeter but my pair sound very good.
Hard to say why the difference, too many factors at play.
I'm pretty sure I've poo-pooed more than one set of speakers that passed through here simply because they weren't working up to snuff.
Too much falling from the sky and onto the curb back in the day that is.
infinity-2000-ii-vintage-floor_1_ef1527b6cc48c0830cde2c33a2b82e07.jpg
 

Attachments

  • upload_2019-4-8_12-5-53.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-8_12-5-53.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Bingo! Hey, it was 1975 - memory isn't what it used to be! I bought them on BLOWOUT SALE from Pacific Stereo. They sounded very dull and thumpy. A friend brought over his Dynaco A-50s and I was very taken with those. Sold the Infinities the next day and bought a piar of the Dyna A-50s. Had them a long time.
 
The last time I listened to my JBL 4311 studio monitors I thought they were awful. Maybe I had just gotten used to something else. I don’t know.
 
Which RS models out of curiosity? Surly you don't mean ALL of the RS models. They made many different models over a 50 year or so span.
I didn't care any for of them, those and you can add Fisher (the line that Woolco sold) which I'm sure was the lower end stuff. Can't say anything about the old RS speakers that I see some on here have modded but if you replace the drivers, crossovers with different ones..then the only thing original remains are the cabinets. I'm glad people are finding uses for these old RS speakers
 
I'm not sure about all RS speakers,but in my area the Minimus 7 would go on sale for half price every six months. They were okay at their sale price to stick on my kitchen wall but I never would have paid full price for them. Perhaps they did this with their other speakers. In places where there was little competition and other speakers sold at full MSRP RS speakers were a reasonable alternative.
 
Going back to my early hi-fi days in the mid 70's, I'd have to say that most of the Pioneer speakers I heard at Service Merchandise did not sound good to me at all; and I really wanted to like them because I loved Pioneer electronics and I liked the look of their speakers, but to me they pretty much all sounded harsh, tizzy and mechanical. Granted, I never heard the HPM150 and 200, but I did hear the 100 and 60 and some of the CS models.

Since then, I don't really recall hearing anything that I thought was actually bad sounding (I guess I was hanging out with better speakers:)) but I do recall being underwhelmed by a pair of Focals once.
 
I don't know if I'd call them terrible, but I had a pair of Scott 6.2a's that didn't sound particularly good.

index.php

index.php


Oh, I just remembered that I had a pair of 'Acoustics Model 500' speakers. They looked nice enough, but didn't sound good at all to my ears.

FullSizeRender_zps1g7uwu2s.jpg


IMG_1232_zpsigaqw8gu.jpg
 
Trust me......BOAT ANCHORS. I tried with my sub. Not worth the time or effort to pursue.
 
T
Snell EIII's and a lovingly restored pair of 901 series III. I could never get the Snells to image very well and my space tends to help that given its a vaulted ceiling on both sides with wood tounge and groove from top to bottom, the 901's suffered the same fate. I came to the conclusion my space dose not work well with any speakers that use rear reflection as part of the process. I can say the Snells had a very impressive woofer.
You disconnect the rear tweeter on the Snell....then they will image better. I did this with my E-II's worked well!
 
Maggie 3.6's ......sorry - these things only sound good when you're perfectly still, in the sweet spot and you can't move an inch to the left or right. Heard them in Jacksonville in a tuned room, with high end gear and a $20k turntable!!!! These things beam!!!!! Anything outside of the very narrow sweet-spot.....is very disappointing.
 
Kenwood KL-555 and KL-777. Nothing good to say about them at all, plastic grills, muddy bass, terrible midrange, and tweets are nothing special. Thankfully there is a market for these god-awful things. I couldn't flip them fast enough.
 
Back
Top Bottom