• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No Respect! The Kenwood KA-7300

Picked up one of these tonight at a thrift shop for a decent price. Got it home and it had crazy, crazy static and cutting audio. Gave the knobs a good deoxit and it sounds perfect again. Probably gonna attempt a recap one of these days, since the internals look well organized and easy to access.

DC offset measures 28mV and 14mV. Not bad at all. Too bad you can't adjust anything on this unit.
 
Last edited:
Came home last night. Offset is 16mV and 68mV before any attention to anything. Badly wants the controls cleaned. But it's cleaning up nice.

DSCN16091_zpsra1supiq.jpg
 
Speaking of Kenwoods... I have an almost mint Kenwood 600 that is starting to sound a little fuzzy in the right channel. My local tech just retired and had no one to recommend, so I am in search of a new tech. I am located in Doylestown, PA, about an hour north of Phila. Also, what are your feelings on installing IEC outlets and/or upgraded speaker binding posts on these units? Thanks

Nick
 
Big BIG mistake I make
In very early 1990s I moved so had NO system to play Lps I go to local used audio shop and buy Kenwood KA-7300 like NEW even have manual for $200 with one year guarantee on part and labor! Buy used Kenwood direct drive machine and new Stanton cartridge 681EEE MkII
I also go to other pro shop and buy some used Electro Voice studio speakers
System amazing I loved very much
I also just use this machine for phono section too
Then started reading magazines and other crap
So now seed get planted Kenwood not good enough and dirty switch problems starting by now I unable to clean properly due to ignorance on learning curve so I sell back to same shop where I buy
REGRET every day after that and now 2016 and STILL REGRET
I always miss this amplifier and this amplifier sound but I also miss beautiful symmetrical layout of front panel
I know this small thing but I prefer very much to asymmetrical model with meters even if they may be better models on paper and specification I also loving knob and switch style smooth and took time for me to figure out model from 1990s WAS in fact KA-7300 because Kenwood make so many similar and receipt long gone just like memory!
KA-8100 closest match physical and now I understand BONUS NO output packaged modules so I like that very much!
I do not have enough skill set to build work a rounds if problems ever come with these
KA-7300 have perfect symmetry inside and out thing of beauty but little bit tight KA-8100 little different inside with power transformers off to left side BUT I am LOVING board segregation and modular layout will be dream to go through when work on! ; - )
So after many years of misery and compromise I just find last May beat up old KA-8100 for small money machine was freaking out but solid working after deep clean and adjust so now starting to feel MUCH better
LOT of so called high end amps LOT of money wasted on disappointments! ; - (
When I had KA-7300 I listen to LOT of music EVERY DAY after get rid of it and start buying high end garbage lose friendship with music more and more to almost nothing compared to before spending all time listening to broken design crap amplifiers trying to figure out what had I done! ; - (
KA-8100 NO where near as nice cosmetic as KA-7300 was it was original owner trade in BUT I liking fact that KA-8100 uses TO-3 device AND looks almost like KA-7300 twin brother
So for now I will use KA-8100 through Christmas time and in spring will do complete refresh
I already paint poor scratch up top cover and do little polish work looking better already
Sound is very very good
Only sad part face plate and knobs have some pretty nasty scratches but that ok at least they all there and all controls work perfect
Only thing is Alps pot will need tighten up when front panel apart
Kenwood amplifier like wizard of oz story what you looking for already there whole time
Kenwood was beautiful company!
JJ
 
Hi Team,
I have one of these opened up on my bench that I was going to clean the pots and put back together. Can someone provide a “Readers Digest” list of parts that I should change to get the biggest bang for the buck while I am at it? Please include any caps you recommend changing the values of or capacitor type (Dielectric).

Thanks,
Jerry
 
Hi Team,
I have one of these opened up on my bench that I was going to clean the pots and put back together. Can someone provide a “Readers Digest” list of parts that I should change to get the biggest bang for the buck while I am at it? Please include any caps you recommend changing the values of or capacitor type (Dielectric).

Thanks,
Jerry
 
Back
Top Bottom